VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I really need help with this one. I did a VR6 swap in my '91 GTI using the motor, harness, and ECM from a '95 Passat GLX. When the swap was finished the motor would not start; it turned over but didn't start. I ordered another ECM with the same last numbers 258BS and it still would not start. So I borrowed my friends ECM from a swap he had performed using the motor from a '96 Passat GLX ending numbers 259L and the car started. My car is an OBD 1 and my friend's car is an OBD 2. Can someone please explain to me how an OBD 1 motor can work with an OBD 2 ECM but not with an OBD 1 ECM? According to VW the computer that should run my car is the 258BS and not the 259L. I cannot continue to use the OBD2 computer because the car is running very rich and has a very rough idle. Also when I disconnect the plug from the TPS the car idles fine and does not smoke. I have replaced the complete fuel rail, O2 sensor, MAFS, and TPS. Please respond . Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: '95 VR6 swap will not start with the ECM (wardrp)

I am still waiting to see if someone/anyone of you VR6 GURU's can help me out with this mind boggling dilemma.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Man, I cannot believe that with all the knowledge and expertise that's abound on this forum; no one can offer any suggestions that might remedy my problem! I removed my TB and cleaned it today and the problem is still there. Come on guys, help me out. PLEASE!

·
Registered
156 Posts

I would hook up a datalogger to the car and see what code you are throwing. sounds like a fuel problem though. if you replaced the rail, the injectors, the MAP sensor, and the TPS I really don't know what other advise to give you.
Sorry

Modified by VRpilot at 11:57 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: '95 VR6 swap will not start with the ECM (VRpilot)

What exactly is a datalogger? I haven't done the MK3 dash conversion yet so I do not have a port to connect to.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: '95 VR6 swap will not start with the ECM (VRpilot)

Thank you for responding. I haven't figured it out yet. Maybe you can answer this for me. Why is that when I disconnect the connector from the TPS the car does not run rich. But when I reconnect it; it does. I cleaned the throttlebody and that did not help either. I am perplexed!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts