VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just bought a 96 GTI vr6 from a friend and I’ve already bypassed the security system. My issue is the fuel pump will not turn on or prime during key cycle, we ended up jumping the fuel pump but the car has no spark as well. Just a note when I plug in a OBD2 scanner I have power to the scanner but the scanner will not connect. Are these 3 issues linked or could they be all separate issues.

·
Registered
2011 Jetta Sportwagen S 2.5L; 2021 Hyundai KONA SEL
314 Posts
What engine is that, AHA?
Faulty/dead ECM perhaps?
How about the Ignition Coil? Did you check it to see if you get power to it?

My 95 Audi A6 died because of an "Engine Speed Sensor" fault, which I replaced. Even purchased a special VW installation tool for it. I also changed everything possible at the time, even the Camshaft Pos. Sensor, the Crankshaft Pos. Sensor, Ignition Control Module...I wasn't able to revive it anymore. It turned out the ECM died as well. Ended up scraping it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What engine is that, AHA?
Faulty/dead ECM perhaps?
How about the Ignition Coil? Did you check it to see if you get power to it?

My 95 Audi A6 died because of an "Engine Speed Sensor" fault, which I replaced. Even purchased a special VW installation tool for it. I also changed everything possible at the time, even the Camshaft Pos. Sensor, the Crankshaft Pos. Sensor, Ignition Control Module...I wasn't able to revive it anymore. It turned out the ECM died as well. Ended up scraping it.
2.8 vr6, and we’re going to be checking the ECM in the morning

·
Registered
2011 Jetta Sportwagen S 2.5L; 2021 Hyundai KONA SEL
314 Posts
I'm curious about what you'll find.
That generation of VW/Audi cars had trouble with water ingress from either plugged sunroof drains or firewall tray drain. Sometimes people don't check on their cars that are parked for too long outdoors. Leaves were plugging pretty easy the drain hole on the firewall which had a crappy rubber grommet attached.
Isn't where the ECM/ECU on that GTI is located? The Audi had it located in the front passenger side footwell, exactly were water could flood the floor from a plugged or disconnected sunroof drain (was coming down trough the A-pillar).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is holding the terminals together different from just removing the battery for a couple days then putting back in?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts