VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Lexus GX460, 2005 Lexus GX470, 1973 IH Scout
16,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97-98 C5 Corvette targa 6spd, give it to me Vortex style.
REAL average values, reliability, problem areas, things that should be upgraded etc. Everything I want to know and more.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Re: 97-98 C5 Corvette (BltByKrmn)

I don't know much, just what i've heard from others but...I hear the major downfall for some (some that are driving a MCoupe) is the interior and it didn't handle as well as the before mentioned car. other than that i hear it's great for power, handles pretty freakin good, and is a steal for the price...
My only beef? That car and driver rates this as the "ultimate car" (more or less), and that a stupid lingenfelter (spelling for sure) Z06 beat the Autothority 996TT even tho the porsche killed it in 0-60, braking, and the road corse and handling (maybe i'm wrong) in the Supertuner challenge (the Corvette won cause of price)...Anyway that's all i got to say about that

·
Registered
16,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 97-98 C5 Corvette (Chomp On This)

I know the interior is not the greatest but with a new audio system, some small parts and 2 Recaro SRDs, I doubt it will bother me much.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Where are all the people that owned them/own them?
[HR][/HR]​
Well, I'm one of them.....I had a 99 6spd coupe, bought new. Waited 6 months for it, got it shortly after the strike was over. The quality was great, the paint was nice and the interior fit and finish was fine. I had the car for a little over 9 months and had no issues at all in that 9 months (except for those little round plastic covers on the sides of the headlights, they had a tendancy to fly off- the problem was corrected soon after). My dealer bought the car back from me and I broke basically even, 6spds were extremely rare back then. The guy that bought it after me had no issues either for quite some time.
I would go with a 98+ and bypass the 97s.

[Modified by Beltfed, 8:50 PM 1-29-2003]

·
Registered
16,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 97-98 C5 Corvette (Beltfed)

A family friend is partial owner of a Chevy dealership, he said he believes he will find me a 98 in my price range. He also suggested the 98 over the 97.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Re: 97-98 C5 Corvette (Beltfed)

quote:[HR][/HR]
I would go with a 98+ and bypass the 97s.
[Modified by Beltfed, 8:50 PM 1-29-2003][HR][/HR]​
My sis-in-law had a '97 and she had some problems, although hers was an early one.
IIRC, there was a recall - something to do with the transaxle\rear susp. I remember hers was in the shop for awhile for this.
And, she had a bunch of little probs. Both seatbelt retractors locked (6 mo's apart) and had to be replaced, headlight burned out, fuses blowing, and there was something else with her power steering I think.
My take on it was that it was a brand new design at that point and they didn't have the bugs worked out.
That said; The diference between her '97 and her prev '95 was night & day. The '97 was a better car in every catagory - ride, noise, perf.,etc

·
Registered
80 Posts

I have a 98 Targa coupe. It's an awesome car. I bought mine used about two years ago and now it has nearly 50k miles on it. The interior doesn't bother me, I like how the shifter falls right to hand. It is an awesome highway car, long trips are super comfortable. And of course the performance is crazy, I get scared way before the car gets anywhere near unsettled.
Only problem with mine has been a tire pressure sensor that was going nuts. These things are solid powertrain wise - you're more likely to have some stupid little thing start acting up, but you won't be left stranded.
Complaints: It's a big car, and a bit of a pain around town. You will scrape on every driveway, so get used to the noise and just don't worry about it. It's just the rubber under body spoiler anyway.
And, being a sports car, parts are expensive. I put new tires on it last May and a full set of S03s ran me just over a grand. Now I need to change the brake pads and the parts alone will set me back $200.
You can find tons of knowledgable people at http://www.corvetteforum.com Or give me an email, [email protected]tbi.com

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Re: 97-98 C5 Corvette (Creepy Guy)

quote:[HR][/HR]I put new tires on it last May and a full set of S03s ran me just over a grand. [HR][/HR]​
One of my friends has a C5 and those are some big, meaty tires - but gosh that's a lot of money!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Re: 97-98 C5 Corvette (gsrroger)

I had a 98 , very reliable for me , only problem is it rattled more then my a2 , Only "real" problem was i had my noisey fuel pump replaced under warranty and one time for no reason it went into limp mode . Andi drove the car every day like i stole it.

One of the few pics of it that i have.

[Modified by COCOTASO, 5:01 AM 1-30-2003]

·
Registered
6,843 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Where are all the people that owned them/own them?
[HR][/HR]​
You are aware of the fact that you are on a VOLKSWAGEN board
Try a Corvette forum, their has to be a bunch out there.
Just giving you a hard time

·
Registered
16,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: 97-98 C5 Corvette (MeineFolks'wagen)

quote:[HR][/HR]You are aware of the fact that you are on a VOLKSWAGEN board
Try a Corvette forum, their has to be a bunch out there.
Just giving you a hard time
[HR][/HR]​
I was going to post this topic in the MK4 forum but then I remembered that the 1.8t with a chip 0wNz j00!!!!!

·
Registered
14,856 Posts

this has really got me wanting one.... My pop has a '78 L82, and while it wasn't particularly fast stock (220hp, I think), his has been subtly massaged to eek out a we bit (a lot!) more juice. Talk about stiff, raw, and fun! I think I'd have a blast with a C5.... is GM offering 0% financing still?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Re: 97-98 C5 Corvette (JerseyFreeze)

What he said. C4 auto here, (see sig) good to hear you're going with a 6 speed, If you're used to newer 5 spd automatics you'll be dissapointed in any 4 spd GM auto. They're great cars, they get a lot of attention, especially around here, mostly from 40 year old or older women. Good choice on a targa, they give you pretty much the same top down experience as a vert, but look a lot neater with the top on. Some targas tend to creak, but the problem might be fixed in the C5s. They are fast but civilized cars. I guess that's because GM markets them to two different groups, the serious enthusiast as well as the person wanting the look and the luxury. That's why my mom bought hers. It's a good time to get a C5, especially the older ones, because the C6 is on the horizon. There is a large aftermarket for them as well.
Check out:
http://www.madvet.com/
GM dealer services suck. Most of the folks I've dealt with there in parts and service are idiots. They need to have their own facilities for Vettes. Parts (except tires) really arent that expensive though. A new set of tires can pretty much skin my cat if you know what I mean. (285/45/17 in back, 245/40/17 in front) I'm not sure what comes on C5s. All vettes in good condition as as close to a "good investment" in an automobile as you're likely to get. I see 93 C4s like the one my mom left me in the auto trader going for about what she paid for one six years ago. Some people into vettes are jerks I've found, more so than people who are into VWs. Or maybe it's just my personality.

The most important thing is, like the other guy said, to experience one while you're young. Don't do like my mom and wait until you only have a few years to enjoy it.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by Me109, 1:58 PM 1-30-2003]

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Re: 97-98 C5 Corvette (Me109)

Hmmmmm... I love those Vettes. They are really rare over here in Europe. I only see one once in two or three months (except I go to a bigger city like Hamburg etc.). But I love them. Great looking cars and I would take the convertible over the Targa, although the Targa will be stiffer I suppose, but the styling of the convertible is just a blast so forget all other things. Once I met a Vette on a curvy mountain road around my hometown. Not very long I have to admit...
Anyone got cool high res pics of convertibles?

·
Registered
3,634 Posts

I have to agree with the suggestion you try a Corvette forum for ownership and reliability questions. That being said, I recommend my friend's site 97vette.com as a starter.
I'm not sure if Chevy ever actually recalled the cars for this or not but there was a TSB after several high visibility reports online and a few accidents. The steering wheel lock would engage -while- the car was -driving-.
The usual Chevy lock-out bypass was popular amongst homebrew types to convince the car not to force a 1st-3rd shift.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts