VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just happened to me today. I was drove about 100 miles today, and I was doing the guessing game of "Is that my car making that weird smell?"

I just assumed it was another car in front of me (being hopeful), but the only common denominator was my car...
So I got home and parked. I didnt think anything else of it, until I started it up. And it made this terrible rubbing/grinding(?) noise?

So I immediately turned it off and popped the hood. I then had someone start it up again and I traced it to the compressor. I had them turn the AC on and off.
The pulley seemed to be stuck when the AC was not turned on, but when the AC is turned on the sound slowly faded away. I then turn it off and it comes back.

Is it that the bearing is shot?

Help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
ive never had a tdi b4 only vr6's but my guess would be the bearing. it probobly is able to spin with the pump going but when the pump isnt spinning the bearing has too much resistance to spin by itself. either way that ac compressor should come off and get inspected.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Odds are that the clutch is rusted and sticking. It's causing the compressor to 'run' but with the rest of the system 'off' its building pressure and not being able to release said pressure through the evaporator. Honestly, try smacking the clutch face with a hammer and see if it frees up.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Your clutch may be shot. When you turn a.c. On an electro magnet sucks the clutch into the puppy so it moves r134 through the system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts