VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any ideas or experienced this. Car starts and idles fine until I put it in drive and then it dies immediately. After it warms up for about 10 min and is up to temp the car runs fine. So far all ign parts replaced, new fuel filter, cleaned MAF and T/B. The only code it is giving is B1,S1 low voltage. Ordered a new O2 sensor for the code, but don't expect that to fix problem. CEL only comes on after about 5 min. of driving. I'm starting to think it is either the ECM, T/B or MAF. Lets vote on which one I replace first.

Oh yeah, bought the VAG-COM and I can now get a lot of numbers that don't mean much at this point. I did adapt the ECM and TCM. Does anyone have baseline data for a VAG 97, 2.0 golf/jetta.
Thanks
Thumper

·
Registered
26,501 Posts
Re: 97 GOLF WON'T IDLE COLD (Thumper1044)

You need to look at the values (tempature) for the ECT (Coolant) and IAT (Air intake temp)
From a cold start (stone gold, over night) they should BOTH read the same (http://www.onlineconversion.com/temperature.htm)
say (70 deg F = 21c)...
Then as the car warms up... it should go to 210 deg F (98 deg C)..
IAT should rise a little to (as high as 150 deg F is fine on a hot day with the hood closed and no airflow..).

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 97 GOLF WON'T IDLE COLD (Dan J Reed)

Dan:
thank you for the response. I checked the ECT and AIT for resistance per the Bentley manual. They seemed to be pretty close to the numbers published. The 4 prong ECT has different readings across the terminals. I think one goes to the temp guage and one set to the ECM. Not sure which is which, since the wiring diragram in the Bentleys is messed up and I can't match colors. Guess this would be a good sanity check to replace these. They are definitely cheaper than ECM. Like I said previously, the car runs good once it warms up, which is heading me towards the ECM.
Thumper

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Dan,
Thanks for your patience. I just went out and put some resistors in the connectors to simulate Bentleys settings. Car would idle about 600 RPM in D and barely run. I stopped the car and put the connectors on ETC and AIT and started again. Same thing. I pulled the connector to the T/B with the car running and the idle went right to 900 and idled great. I ran up the idle speed and little and reconnected T/B. Car was idling great in drive and cold. I turned off ign and restarted car. It would idle, but I was back to about 700 RPM. Bad T/B???? Bad ECM?? I did take the T/b completely off the car to do a really good job of cleaning it. I was having the problem before I did that tho.
Thump

·
Registered
26,501 Posts
Re: 97 GOLF WON'T IDLE COLD (Thumper1044)

Wow, its nice to talk to someone who understands things a little!

700 is a little low, but not "too low"...
I'd install the O2 and see if that clears things up at all.. then again it could be reading low voltage due to running too lean... But often thats due to a vacuum leak.... or a temp sensor reading "too hot"... (as the car gets warmer it leans itself out..... think like a choke on a carb..)
How many miles are on the car?

Modified by Dan J Reed at 2:31 AM 5-15-2007

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Dan:
Car has 105,000 mi. and I have no history on the car, except it came from the East Coast and spent some time Vegas

The problem seems to be that after I get the car to idle by pulling the t/b connector and put it back on (life is good) and then due a few restarts it goes right back to immediately dieing when put in drive (cold only) When I have the car warmed up and reset the ECM and TCM, the car ran really great. Maybe I should invest in a block heater.
Thumper

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Dan:
If I start asking to many questions, just let me know. I really respect your knowledge and willingness to share.
Do you have any experience replacing the O2 sensors. I ordered the S1 but not the S2. Now I'm wondering if I should replace them both at the same time. Also, have you ever tried the Bosch universals that you need to solder the pigtails on? They are about 1/2 the cost and I know how to solder..
Thumper

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.