VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 98 GTI VR6. The P.O. told me it has a stright pipe from the cat back to a TT Muffler? The car also has a P-flow and 260 Cams. It runs great pulls really hard but is just really loud and has a horrible almost obnouxis drone at certian cruising speeds and all RPMs. When on the throttle and at high RPMs it sounds the same as the low RPMs. Please help me, I love the sound of the VR6 but at the present time my car sounds like a 4 banger with no Cat, I feel like a *****. Give me some ideas on how to fix this.
The muffler actaully looks like a high quality muffler and has DTM tips welded to it very nicely...so can i just get new piping and some resonators, to make it sound like a VR6 again...if you could send me a link where i can buy this stuff that would be great.
Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Re: 98 GTI VR6 Aftermarket Exhaust TOO LOUD.........HELP (CorradoTool)

Quote, originally posted by CorradoTool »
I just purchased a 98 GTI VR6. The P.O. told me it has a stright pipe from the cat back to a TT Muffler? The car also has a P-flow and 260 Cams. It runs great pulls really hard but is just really loud and has a horrible almost obnouxis drone at certian cruising speeds and all RPMs. When on the throttle and at high RPMs it sounds the same as the low RPMs. Please help me, I love the sound of the VR6 but at the present time my car sounds like a 4 banger with no Cat, I feel like a *****. Give me some ideas on how to fix this.
The muffler actaully looks like a high quality muffler and has DTM tips welded to it very nicely...so can i just get new piping and some resonators, to make it sound like a VR6 again...if you could send me a link where i can buy this stuff that would be great.
Thanks,
Matt

Get a resonator. TT Tuning has some good ones....https://www.techtonicstuning.com/indexs.html
A resonator can cut the sound down almost 50%, depending on which one you get

·
Administrator
87,828 Posts
Re: 98 GTI VR6 Aftermarket Exhaust TOO LOUD.........HELP (Dub Nerd)

Quote, originally posted by Dub Nerd »

Get a resonator. TT Tuning has some good ones....https://www.techtonicstuning.com/indexs.html
A resonator can cut the sound down almost 50%, depending on which one you get

Does a resonator cut back the flow characteristics of the system? ie, do you lose performance by adding the resonator?
This has always been my problem. I've got a vf-e s/c and NEED an exhaust but have always been leary of getting something too loud. I'd love to get something about as quiet as stock (or just a tad bit louder) but keep the performance. Is this possible?
Later,

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Re: 98 GTI VR6 Aftermarket Exhaust TOO LOUD.........HELP (nater)

TT 2.5, two resonators and one borla.......perfect, no drone at upper RPM cruising, but sounds nasty as hell when u mash it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Re: 98 GTI VR6 Aftermarket Exhaust TOO LOUD.........HELP (Spec3VR6)

Quote, originally posted by Spec3VR6 »

TT 2.5, two resonators and one borla.......perfect, no drone at upper RPM cruising, but sounds nasty as hell when u mash it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Iunno... maybe its just the sound characteristics of the GTI bodystyle but I had a TT 2.5 borla with two resonators and it was still loud as hell. I ended up switching back to stock. Mind you, when I was turbo-charged, I could barely hear the exhaust. But once I took the turbo kit off... UGH, way too loud.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Re: 98 GTI VR6 Aftermarket Exhaust TOO LOUD.........HELP (CALVR6)

its louder or drones more in a gti....
with a TT setup and 2 resonators it sounds like its still too loud for your taste.. I have TT with 2 resonators...its louder than stock, but im not one of those people who want a stock sounding exhaust...im thinking about taking off 1 resonator

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Re: 98 GTI VR6 Aftermarket Exhaust TOO LOUD.........HELP (ILJM-VR6)

yea there is a 2.5 X18" resonator on the passat I'm parting... fits nicely between the cat and where the suitcase should be... cut the sound down almost to a third of what it was... no noticable difference in pull and power. IM me if you want it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Re: 98 GTI VR6 Aftermarket Exhaust TOO LOUD.........HELP (vdubnut_mike)

I had similar problems! The the cheapest way to fix it without power loss is to put in a glass pack before your muffler and you probably want to get a resonator back too!
I put a 12" glasspack where my Suitcase muffler used to be and it fixed the droning and buzzing and sounds deeper...no power loss! If you can squeeze a longer GP in there it will be even quieter let still have the deep tone when you stomp on it.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Re: 98 GTI VR6 Aftermarket Exhaust TOO LOUD.........HELP (CALVR6)

Quote, originally posted by CALVR6 »

Iunno... maybe its just the sound characteristics of the GTI bodystyle but I had a TT 2.5 borla with two resonators and it was still loud as hell. .

Bingo!

·
Registered
17,445 Posts
Re: 98 GTI VR6 Aftermarket Exhaust TOO LOUD.........HELP (davedave)

Sorry for the stupid question, but WTF is a glass pack?
I'm about to put a resonator in mine, as I have just the Scorpion backbox in and I want to get a nastier sound out of the back.
Are all resonators the same? If not, which ones are the ones to go for?

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Re: 98 GTI VR6 Aftermarket Exhaust TOO LOUD.........HELP (mdt)

The GTI VR6 with most aftermarket exhausts WILL drone and I dont
care what anyone else says ... the quietest one I have found is the
Remus axle back and that is what I have on the car. Only slightly
louder than stock and no drone ... just gives a nice high performance
sound.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts