VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited, Platinum Silver, Charcoal leather interior, 102,000 miles, overall decent condition, new tires.
I have put much money into this vehicle since buying it last September. Now I find out the A/C evaporator is gone ($1000) and the rear is toast ($1300 minimum so far). I do not have the time or skill to do these repairs myself.
Should I:
1) Pay the estimated $2300, maybe more, and get it fixed?
2) Sell it as-is, probably only to someone who wanted to make an offroader with it, as the repairs exceed (or almost exceed) the book value? Maybe try to get $1000-1500 for it?
I have the money to repair it, just don't know if I should keep spending on this. It has been reliable, comfortable, a good towing vehicle. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Re: '98 Jeep GC 5.9L - Issues - Fix or Sell? (Uranium235)

Evaporator is a common issue on all mid to late 90s Jeep/Dodge/Chyrslers. Have to pull the whole dash out to replace it. Replacing the rear end on your own with a used rear will be significantly cheaper than $1300, assuming it's a Chry 8.25..

·
I could've been a contender.
41,106 Posts
Re: '98 Jeep GC 5.9L - Issues - Fix or Sell? (Uranium235)

1) park it in allentown on south 4th street w/ keys in it
2) ???
3) profit

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1) No insurance fraud (Bill!)
2) Paid off - and I wouldn't be buying new anyway (my wife wants a new car later this year). I don't want it scrapped anyway.
3) Dana 44a rear, so it's not just a swap issue (I could swap the whole thing, but the disc brake 44 rears are hard to find).

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: '98 Jeep GC 5.9L - Issues - Fix or Sell? (ROWDYGTI333)

Quote, originally posted by ROWDYGTI333 »
Post up some pics, if you can. I am in the market for one!

I'll get some later - but if you look for pics of a 1998 JGC 5.9L in silver, that's it. All stock, decent body, original wheels, etc. All the power stuff works, except the Vehicle Information Center gives a "Bad Coolant Sensor" signal - common on these, its a bad solder connection.
Not mine, imagine it in silver:

Modified by Uranium235 at 4:56 PM 7-8-2009

·
I could've been a contender.
41,106 Posts
Re: (Uranium235)

Quote, originally posted by Uranium235 »
1) No insurance fraud (Bill!)

whaaa...

·
Registered
334 Posts

Sounds like you know what to do. I have sen rears for those in local yards, they are around. If you want to swap, a Ford 8.8 will work with some know how and it has disc brakes and is similar in strength to the dana 44 and are readily available.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (LANZADJUST)

Quote, originally posted by LANZADJUST »
Sounds like you know what to do. I have sen rears for those in local yards, they are around. If you want to swap, a Ford 8.8 will work with some know how and it has disc brakes and is similar in strength to the dana 44 and are readily available.

Thanks, but I don't want to monkey with a non-OE swap. My days of that are over.

·
Registered
334 Posts

Forget the swap then. There are factory Dana 44's in GC in yards around me. I see them all the time in my Junkyard adventures. They have to be around you too. There are also locators like LQK that would set you up fairly cheap.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Forget the swap then. There are factory Dana 44's in GC in yards around me. I see them all the time in my Junkyard adventures. They have to be around you too. There are also locators like LQK that would set you up fairly cheap.

Thanks, I'll look into that, but what do such rears usually go for? And how do I avoid getting another problem-laden assembly?

·
Registered
334 Posts

The problem is (If i remember correctly) the Dana 44 in the GC had an aluminum center section that was a weak design. Keep in mind you did get 100K plus on the original rear. I would assume you could get a rear for $500 or less (depends on attitude and yard) I'm sure I could get one at my local yard for like $200 bones easily. If you stay with the factory rear, expect similar problems, hench the swap idea. Swapping a rear axle is not all that difficult, 98 did have leaf springs correct? Just gotta be aware of length and wheel bolt spacing. I'm sure many other guys have shared your pain with the GC, I just have never owned one, so I haven't researched it yet.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

The problem is (If i remember correctly) the Dana 44 in the GC had an aluminum center section that was a weak design. Keep in mind you did get 100K plus on the original rear. I would assume you could get a rear for $500 or less (depends on attitude and yard) I'm sure I could get one at my local yard for like $200 bones easily. If you stay with the factory rear, expect similar problems, hench the swap idea. Swapping a rear axle is not all that difficult, 98 did have leaf springs correct? Just gotta be aware of length and wheel bolt spacing. I'm sure many other guys have shared your pain with the GC, I just have never owned one, so I haven't researched it yet.

JGC has coils in rear. Still haven't received the final estimate yet.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (Internal Combustion)

Quote, originally posted by Internal Combustion »
Its a 9er. Dont junk it. There's only 14,286 of them. I wish I had the cash to buy it off you.
Go over to jeeps unlimited, NOT jeep forums. Sell it there. You'll get good money.

I have a post over there, too. Wanted two sets of perspectives. They say keep it. I really need to think about this. Definitely will not be scrapped (by me, at least).

·
Registered
7,979 Posts

There are factory Dana 44's in GC in yards around me.

I dunno what guys pull from yards in MD, but try to find a D44 here in PA.

I know guys that 'work' these yards (the 3 big ones within a half hour of the OP), pulling stuff and selling it online.
Even with weekly trips they rarely find them.
I'm not saying you don't have a chance, but your chance is slim to none at best.
Well, unless you drive to MD apparently...
I vote for you to spend the money to fix/upgrade that rear.
Hell, have the dealer do it if you have to.
It's going to be expensive, but you'll get another 100k out of it, if you'd change your fluid after you get back from wheeling.
Living without AC for the next 2 months is better than living with a car payment for the next 60.
EDIT
Also, unfortunately, that body style GC isn't going to pull much on the used market.
You gotta consider the $1000 or $1500 you're gonna get ditching it, and that it's probably worth more to you than that...

Modified by deucestudios at 8:19 AM 7-9-2009

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.