VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Re: 98 passat problem with startup (jamescbaker)

how many miles? when was the last time you changed your fuel filter?
What gas do you use?
Do you use injection cleaner like Techron?
Could be your starter.
Any CELs? got a vag tool to check?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Re: 98 passat problem with startup (magnetman)

Perhaps it's your choice of fuel. An earlier GTI that I had became increasingly harder to start. Per the advice of a friendly VW Service Manager I switched to Premium fuel and the car was easy starting ever since.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Re: 98 passat problem with startup (Mr Tradewinds)

i also had startup problems. i have a 98 1.8t 5-spd.
problem:
erratic (once a week) starting problem. turn the key starter would turn over but there was the engine would take about 30-45 seconds and throttle to the floor to start. then heavy fuel smell. check engine light on. I changed the battery and changed my GIAC chip.
i was due for the 40K service but didnt have the $$$ for it. odo was at 48K so not that big deal.

solution:
took in for service about 8 months after first start up problem. tech said it was a temperature sensor not the coolant temp but engine temp.
i had read of another post describing the same thing. at startup the temp sensor was sending wrong reading (hot, cold) to the computer which was sending the wrong fuel mix and retard on the spark.......bill for fix was (sensor @ $28 + labor)
so check the fault codes you might have something wrong with the temp sensor.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: 98 passat problem with startup (needforspeed boy)

Sounds like a cold-start problem people run into.
For example, the car is in the driveway, cold.
I turn it on, pull into the garage, turn it off.
The next morning, I have to floor the gas and crank the starter for 15 seconds and then it starts.. Something about the car not sensing the engine temperature correctly after that cold 30 foot drive the night before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.