VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the Turbo on my wife's 1998 Wagon has failed. The car feels like it is not getting any boost. I guess it could be something else, like the ECU.
Is the Turbo covered under the 10yr/100k mile powertrain warranty?
Are turbo failures common?

· Registered
521 Posts
Re: 98' Passat Turbo Failure - Is this Warranty? (MarkT)

Could be a turbo failure OR it could be a diverter valve gone bad OR a leaky vacuum hose . Don't jump to the most expensive choice first . Take a look at ClubB5 ' s site today . There is a very good writeup of Passat problems and their symptoms - including yours !

· Registered
3 Posts

Yes the Turbo is covered under the 100K powertrain warranty. I know because I had mine replaced on my 98 at around 50K. The wastegate went bad. Just take it to the dealer and ask them they can hook it up to a boost gauge. Unfortunately the 98s don't have an electronic boost sensor, so your check engine light won't go on if you have no boost.
Wastegate failure is a common problem with the 98's.

· Registered
246 Posts
Re: 98' Passat Turbo Failure - Is this Warranty? (Antelope)

My 98 had the first turbo fail at 48K, and the second one fail at 76K. Both were covered under the 100K warranty. This assumes that you are the original owner. Both failures took several visits to the dealership to correctly diagnose. The first failure felt like the car was missing some of the power I was used to. It felt like I was running regular gas instead of premium. After several visits with the same complaint, I took it to another dealer were they discovered the turbo was making NO boost- hence the lack of power.

Modified by SamIV at 6:15 AM 5-18-2003

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: 98' Passat Turbo Failure - Is this Warranty? (SamIV)

Thanks for the info..
I took the car for a ride today and it really does seem like the Turbo is not providing any boost. It doesn't have the normal little whine when it spools up either. It is going to the dealer tommorow. Then it goes on the market to pay for the wife's new 2000 A4 Avant!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: 98' Passat Turbo Failure - Is this Warranty? (wrighla)

Well my wife took the car to the dealer this morning. I called at 3:00P.M. to see how it was going. They were "just hooking it up now" when I called. At 4:30 they called back to tell me they had to charge me $40 to unhook my aftermarket radio so they could hook the car up. "Just do it" I said. Half an hour later they call back and say they cannot find the problem. I tell them to hook it up to a boost gauge. There response:"Sorry the tech has gone for the day".
I hate car dealers in general and this one (Curran VW, Stratford, CT) most of all. They never fail to disappoint. I can't wait to argue with them tomorrow.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I spoke to the Tech this A.M. and they still had no clue how to diagnose the failed Turbo. I suggested hooking up a boost guage, he sounded like he never would have thought of that. I called back later and sure enough, it needs a new Turbo.
Thanks very much to Antelope and SamIV for the info. It is pretty sad that a VW dealer has to be told how to find a problem.

· Registered
431 Posts

Mark,
I need your help bad. Today at 85,900 miles my car starting doing exactly what you have described in yours. No turbo at all. Can yo tell me what they charged you to replace your turbo. Parts, labor ect. Thanks for your time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.