VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Started some slow work on the 996 as the 2021 project begins with plans to have it done for Porsche on the Mountain at Palmer Motorsports in October.

Just about all the parts finally showed up from Germany with the 996 GT2 Clubsport cage from a GT2 Olaf built for a friend along with the Clubsport seat took some time to get out of the car and shipped here.

Along with the shipment a Werk996 Carbon roof, Werk996 Carbon GT2 bumper to complement the carbon rear bumper. This will allow me to keep the OEM GT2 bumpers for spares. While dropping ~6-7lbs off each. Roof saves 48lbs over the current sun-roof setup.

Manthey GT2 Spoiler lip showed up to provide a little extra rear downforce on the Werk996 GT2 decklid which offers larger inlet openings and more downforce over stock.

For additional weight savings a 996 GT3RS hood was sourced to go with the Manthey Carbon/Kevlar doors. Combined weight savings of 104lbs.

First part is getting the old RSS 901 Roll bar out as the interior will need to be stripped out for the GT2 light weight carpets/door cards/ and the roof work.

Rachet straps make it easy to remove a roll bar without too much fuss.

Along with some drivetrain power upgrades the entire car will be getting resprayed another color TBD at a later time. The end goal is a wilder 996 GT2 than the factory would have done with substantial weight savings to allow it to be a true monster on and off the track.

Current colors I have been tossing around are a couple shades of a lighter blue and some greens. Originally leaning towards a gray, alas with a silver 997 and a Aviator Gray TT, seems it would just be too close to either of those.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
You are a bad influence, I am now looking at carbon doors for M3. :ROFLMAO:

Let me know how the doors turn out. Fit, finish, noise, vibrations, etc. What weight are you aiming for once the mods are done?
Bad influence...that and more! I did already get to experience the doors and they have less rattles than the steel doors believe it or not. The fitment is quite nice where you can toss them right on using all the factory hardware even the air bags.

Got to meet some of the guys when I was over there, pretty awesome setup they have. This is one of their builds using the doors and a 4.4l Mezger. They had lots of issues with the 996 GT2 for endurance racing because of the torque ruining tires on the ring. The result was going to the 4.4L NA engine.

Shooting for about 2900-3000lbs wet and 600whp/650wtq when done with the larger turbos. So shedding close to 600lbs all said and done over what the car weighed stock and doubling the power.

Currently waiting on the Cup diff to show up from Germany which then will allow me to tear into the gearbox. Replacing the main shaft with a GT2 1-2-3 units and steel sycros, the GT2 mainshaft is much tougher to take the power and also offers a much longer 1st and 2nd gear where the 996tt one can be a bit short.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Robs 996 GT2 Doing the Gumball 3000.

First such video, then followed by IMV Films Team Tork and the Scumballers. If you have not seen the DVD it is worth a watch from the early days of internet sensations.

From that point on a monster GT2 was the be all end all car for myself.

Behind the evolution:

The current headers on the car are a set of ported 996tt ones that I swapped in a couple years ago, some 997tt units which are pretty much the same except a slightly larger bore and have more welding on the outside of the headers.

997tt on left and 996tt on right.

996tt port

996tt hot side flange weld

997tt hot side flange weld

997tt port (3% taller and 7.7% wider over welds)

Simply porting the 996tt headers makes for a much faster spool of ~500rpms, I will be using the 997tt ones and then doing a light port on them to yield even better flow for faster spool.

Sent out a spare intake for the Evoms 2.5" inlet conversion, which Kevin suggest for better power and able to support larger turbos. From what I have been told this can be a bit of a PITA to fit but with a heat gun and some better clamps is not an issue.

All of these supporting components will go well when I upgrade the turbos at some point from K16's to K16/24's for a nice little power hike.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts