VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
9A with 154.5 whp so far on ABF cams and Motronic (more pics and video)

Rollers at Techtonics Tuning showed 154.5 whp
154.5/.82=188.41 hp at the crank (this is using the 18 percent drivetrain loss method, your method may vary)

TT 16V Motronic chip (off the shelf non-cam version)
50mm intake manifold
New OEM CIS-e/Motronic Bosch injectors
Stage 2 ported and polished 2.0 (051) head match ported to 50mm intake and 83.5 pistons
TT high flow undercut intake valves
German light weight lifters
Tapered valve guides
TT ABF clone cams
TT HD valve springs
83.5 Supertech pistons (stock compression)
1.8t rods
Stock 9a crank 92.8mm
TT 4 into 1 header ceramic coated
TT high flow cat
TT Borla exhaust system
INA serp conversion

There are tons more stuff than what I listed, but these are the ones that matter.

Will be going back in the Spring after motor is broke in for more dyno tuning. We will be dyno testing several different cam types, somebody's prototype throttle body design, more aggressive chip tuning, and some other fun stuff.

154.5 whp and 135.6 wtq surprised me with little ABF cams and an off the shelf Motronic chip. It will be fun to drive once I get this thing broke in. Can't wait to see what this motor does after the forged pistons settle in and we throw a 268/276 set of cams in there. I am only short 11.6 hp to hit 200 at the crank using the 18% drivetrain loss method. The 4 into 1 header, 50mm intake and head work are really going to wake up with some more aggressive cams. The adjustable cam gear is set at 0 with this cam set up. There was 5 more hp in the cam gear, but midrange dropped too much for that little 5hp gain above 5500rpm.

All thanks goes to Josh at TT. The attention to detail on this build is incredible and I apologize in advance for the crappy iPhone pictures. The powder coat job on the intake and valve cover are tits and the zinc plating on the brackets is beautiful. Josh went above and beyond with this project and I have nothing but praise for the time and dedication he put into this project. The port and polish work on the head is absolutely a work of art and the numbers show how well it works.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All this is going to set it up to get over 200 hp at the crank while running on the early Motronic system. These lower hp numbers are just for the break in period.

And yes it does pull pretty good. My wife's car is 200hp and curb weight is 3300 lbs and is an absolute blast to drive. This engine is nearly 190 hp and IIRC the curb weight is around 2400 for a Mk2 Jetta. Fourth gear pull is amazing.

I looked at several swaps that I could have done cheaper but I really like the 9A engine. I got 197,XXX out of the original motor and never had any real problems with it the 5 or 6 years I daily drove it. Just consumables like clutches, brakes, alternators, etc.

·
Registered
14,868 Posts
Go with a stand alone system and you'll be knocking on 200's door. :thumbup:

Buddy laid down pretty much the same numbers as you with a stock motor, exhuast and SDS almost 10 years ago.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go with a stand alone system and you'll be knocking on 200's door. :thumbup:

Buddy laid down pretty much the same numbers as you with a stock motor, exhuast and SDS almost 10 years ago.
The goal is stay on Motronic and achieve those numbers. When I get some cams in there we will see the head, 50mm intake and 4 into 1 header really wake up.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
This thread makes me happy. :) Lovin' that head, it looks gorgeous!!! More info on the TB?

No info on the TB yet, but I hear it should be done by Spring when I go back for dyno tuning. It is somebody else's little project right now but am glad that someone wants to pick up where Velocity left off. :thumb up:

That head was so beautiful in person seeing all of those combustion chambers at one time. Picking someone to do the head was the hardest part of this car project. Jarod at SCCH does incredible work and Brad at Scooter Racing turns out some great stuff too. I am really happy I went with Josh at Techtonics and he ended up talking me into letting him do the entire engine. I have had several engines built in the past and dealt with many different types of people and I can say with 100% certainty that Josh's port and polish work is nothing short of incredible. Combined with the tapered valve guides and undercut valve stems this thing sings. If I ever decide to to standalone and a proper ITB kit...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hear that. :thumbup: So this TB is a future piece to be sold to the masses I am guessing?
I am hoping so. That would be great for everybody! It is great seeing people with engineering backgrounds that are enthusiasts stare at their cars and say "I can make that better." People like Isaam at INA and the countless others out there. We are seeing some groundbreaking stuff come out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
who did the port and polish? if you did, what did you use? dremel? i have a non-ferrous bit i used on mine... after spending much time i found out the head was cracked between the valve seats

·
Registered
215 Posts
This is really inspiring.

I'm doing a similar, but milder build this winter. I'm going to be running an internally stock 9A with ITB's running on MegaSquirt. I won't have any of that beautiful head work but if you managed 154whp with the ABF cams then I'll hopefully be able to get similar numbers through increased tuning capabilities.

As for why use a 16v instead of a swap? Because it's lighter, easier and cheaper to work on than a VR6 and much cheaper than a 1.8t swap. Plus it's period correct and just sounds really nice. My own personal reason is that SCCA class rules don't allow for anything better than a 9a(or maybe a G60 depending on your interpretation) to be swapped into a mk2 running in Street Prepared.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As for why use a 16v instead of a swap? Because it's lighter, easier and cheaper to work on than a VR6 and much cheaper than a 1.8t swap. Plus it's period correct and just sounds really nice. My own personal reason is that SCCA class rules don't allow for anything better than a 9a(or maybe a G60 depending on your interpretation) to be swapped into a mk2 running in Street Prepared.
:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.