VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
6321 - 6333 of 6333 Posts

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Haha yeah. I actually need a headlight ballast and didn't want to pay the $600+ the dealer wants but I figured I'd check in. At least I'm pretty sure it's the ballast. The passenger will dip and then if I cycle the lights it'll come right back on.

Hmm if nothing on here I can check with Topher!

He got me an rs4 wing for the wagon for 300 cad and S4 mirror caps for like 200 bucks.

Let me know.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Audi A3 2.0Tq 2013 Audi TT-S
1,583 Posts
Haha yeah. I actually need a headlight ballast and didn't want to pay the $600+ the dealer wants but I figured I'd check in. At least I'm pretty sure it's the ballast. The passenger will dip and then if I cycle the lights it'll come right back on.
You tried new bulbs? Have you ever heard about HID "cycling"--the phenomenon that occurs when the bulb is EOL as the ballast cannot maintain the voltage to sustain the arc?

·
Registered
281 Posts
You tried new bulbs? Have you ever heard about HID "cycling"--the phenomenon that occurs when the bulb is EOL as the ballast cannot maintain the voltage to sustain the arc?
I haven't. I need to swap the bulbs side to side to test that. They're osrams but I didn't think they would have enough hours on them. I'll actually do that this week and hopefully that's all it is.
Hmm if nothing on here I can check with Topher!

He got me an rs4 wing for the wagon for 300 cad and S4 mirror caps for like 200 bucks.

Let me know.

Thanks! I'll test this and PM you if it is the ballast.

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Long weekend Bump.

·
Registered
2013 Audi A3 2.0Tq 2013 Audi TT-S
1,583 Posts
I haven't. I need to swap the bulbs side to side to test that. They're osrams but I didn't think they would have enough hours on them. I'll actually do that this week and hopefully that's all it is.
You could do that but best idea is to try new bulbs altogether. HID bulbs are known to start to go south after 6-7 years (they will start to turn more blue/purple in output) and then possibly cause cycling issues in a few more years.

The "problem" with HIDs is that they can last for a very long time without ever "blowing" per se. So people don't think there's anything wrong because the bulb hasn't "blown"--it still illuminates. However that doesn't necessarily mean the bulb is good in the case of HIDs:

That said, it could also be your ballast but just saying people often overlook the fact that the bulb has gone bad because they often don't just stop working like other bulbs.

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Hump Day bump

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Happy new year everyone..
Still running strong.
Silver 2006 3.2
Going on 13 years with the old gal!