VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to find any forums w/TREG owners having problems with their A/C controls. Am I the only one ????

MY PROBLEM: I can't seem to permanently turn OFF the controls. Every time I turn on the engine, the a/c automatically turns itself on and I have to manually turn it off. Can I switch it to MANUAL so that I am the one that "controlls" the system and not AUTO.
It's so bad that the "+ & -" button is all worn out. The owner's manual offered no help.

· Registered
1,547 Posts
Re: A/C Controls on TREG. Need help desperately (ELMOinLA)

Just push in the right hand rotary control and engage ECONomy; this turns off the compressor.
Sorry, you said a/c, so I assumed you meant air conditioning
, not just outside air. You are correct, the fan will blow air unless you turn off the system after each restart. This is the way it is designed.

Modified by DenverBill at 10:40 PM 4-11-2005

· Registered
60,793 Posts
Re: (ELMOinLA)

Move the fan speed down until the system shuts off.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By using the fan speed down is how I am able to turn it off and that is the only thing that works but this is what's frustrating. I have to do this all the time I start the engine..It's annoying. The service at the dealer could not help either..

· Registered
91 Posts

I think I just figured out how to solve this, as mine does the same thing.
Keep the temperature one notch higher or lower than the minimum and maximum settings. If you have the thing turned all the way down or up, it will kick on when you start the car and you'll have to manually shut it off. If you turn it up a notch to 62 or whatever, it seems to remember the last fan setting instead, which is as it should be all the time IMO. LIkewise put it at the biggest number but not 'high', and it'll do the same thing there.
Make sense? Give it a try, I think this works.
Isolani

· Registered
60,793 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ELMOinLA »
By using the fan speed down is how I am able to turn it off and that is the only thing that works but this is what's frustrating. I have to do this all the time I start the engine..It's annoying. The service at the dealer could not help either..

That is the way the control module is programmed. After a specific time with the car not running, it resets itself to a "normal" level next time the car is turned on. Not sure if the time is 30 minutes or 120 minutes, or something else.
There is nothing that can be changed with this, although maybe you get into the controller with a VAGCOM and make a timing change.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far, what I'm figuring out is that no matter what I do, there is always going to be air blowing even if I press the ECON button. This is how this "climate control" system appears to work and I DON'T LIKE IT.

· Registered
60,793 Posts

So far, what I'm figuring out is that no matter what I do, there is always going to be air blowing even if I press the ECON button. This is how this "climate control" system appears to work and I DON'T LIKE IT.

If air isn't blowing then the system is off. Aside from the system turning itself back on when you restart the car after a set period of time, what more do you want? Cool air but no blowing?? I don't think that is possible.

· Registered
1,350 Posts
From the sounds of your frustrating post you need more cool air not less. Most systems are designed to make sure fresh air is circulating in the cabin. You don't have to have the air blowing at high speed but likely you'll have some fan speed running at all times unless you deliberately turn it down once you are in it. It probably makes the assumption that most people don't drive with it off all the way because they want circulation, you may drive with the windows down and not want the fan running. Good for the many....also, there is likely a program which if we only knew more about the coding available using Vag-Com we might change this...it is so hard trying to figure out all the features that can be changed when even the dealer doesn't have privilege to this.

· Registered
60,793 Posts

Incidentally, I have full control over my A/C system, without using AUTO or ECON. If you change the fan speed, the AUTO should switch off, while the A/C compressor remains on. You can set the fan speed as you like and direct the air where you like.

· Registered
16 Posts
I have the 4 zone climate system. To shut off the system I press the temperature zone master switch (not sure of correct terminology). This looks like 4 seats on the switch in my Treg, I assume in a 2 zone system it is 2 seats on the switch.
This puts all zone temps the same.
Then I press the drivers fan switch to minus until the system shuts off. I restarted my truck and it remained off. I believe it will stay off until I select it back on. Is this what you are trying to do?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (spockcat)

Spockcat,
Sure you can turn the fan all the way down until it shuts off but again, I have no way to turn it off permanently. Since there is no ON/OFF buttonS as in a conventional a/c system, which means that when I come back to the car and turn the engine on, the fan speed will turn itself back up. Isn't that wha happens to you. Why can't there be a way to permanently turn the controls OFF as in DORMANT and turn it on when desired or needed?. So far what I have been able to do is keep it on ECON and just ONE notch up of air. I'm still getting air but frankly I don't need it because as V10 said, sometimes we want to have our windows down while driving.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I got this response from another post and I think this pretty much summarizes it all and I am just gonna have to live with it.

"This behavior is by design, on every VW product on the planet that uses the Climatronic system, rather than conventional rotary switches, for fan control.
The purpose of this is to prevent window fogging that could create a driving hazard. In other words, rather than allowing the driver to drive off and then have the windows fog up (due to wet clothing, as a result of snow or rain, or temperature changes as a result of solar heating of the cabin), the car will engage the fan at the lowest speed if it was previously in the off position.
The off position is considered unusual, not a normal control setting, that is why the vehicle reverts to low fan speed following a power cycle. I think most other manufacturers do the same".
Michael
VW VORTEX Moderator

· Registered
760 Posts

I got this response from another post and I think this pretty much summarizes it all and I am just gonna have to live with it.

"This behavior is by design, on every VW product on the planet that uses the Climatronic system, rather than conventional rotary switches, for fan control.
The purpose of this is to prevent window fogging that could create a driving hazard. In other words, rather than allowing the driver to drive off and then have the windows fog up (due to wet clothing, as a result of snow or rain, or temperature changes as a result of solar heating of the cabin), the car will engage the fan at the lowest speed if it was previously in the off position.
The off position is considered unusual, not a normal control setting, that is why the vehicle reverts to low fan speed following a power cycle. I think most other manufacturers do the same".
Michael
VW VORTEX Moderator

I think there is also some sort of requirement to "pressurize" the interior of the car. I can remember in the 70's when you could not turn off the fan. Whenever the car was on, the fan was on, but on the lowest setting. You could direct the air through any vents, either heated, cooled, or simply outside air, but you could not turn off the fan. If I remember correctly, the idea was to prevent asphyxiation, which used to be a far too often occurrence.

· Registered
171 Posts
Re: (Curjo)

With mine, I can turn the fan off and it stays off - Even when I start it next day.
All I do is turn the fan down one notch before it reads 'OFF' using the fan switch, in this position the fan is'nt working and you get fresh air from outside ie while stationary there is no air flowing thru the vents but you start to get some when moving.
But if you turn it OFF then I dont get any fresh air from outside or the fan.
All this is done when the Economy button is selected so the compressor isnt running.

· Registered
760 Posts
Re: (Singh)

Quote, originally posted by Singh »
With mine, I can turn the fan off and it stays off - Even when I start it next day.
All I do is turn the fan down one notch before it reads 'OFF' using the fan switch, in this position the fan is'nt working and you get fresh air from outside ie while stationary there is no air flowing thru the vents but you start to get some when moving.
But if you turn it OFF then I dont get any fresh air from outside or the fan.
All this is done when the Economy button is selected so the compressor isnt running.

I haven't tested mine, so I don't know if mine works like yours, or not. I believe that all American cars have a fan on continuously, so there may be a different configuration for North America... I'll have to try it out, if I can remember to do so. I'm so used to just jumping in the Treg and going, that I don't even think about the operation of the A/C...
G'Day!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.