VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody know how to do a A/C conversion on a '92 GTI? I'm still on R-12 and I need a recharge. Instead of paying out the nose for 2 cans of that stuff I want to switch over to the new stuff. What parts do I need and how do I flush the old stuff out?

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Re: A/C conversion (newguywiththeGTI)

They sell kits at the local auto store to change it over. I forgot how much they were but it is not as much as R12 I will tell you that

·
Registered
1990 Corrado G60
3,159 Posts
Re: A/C conversion (newguywiththeGTI)

Usually this involves vacuuming out all of the R12 from your system. Then the receiver/dryer is exchanged along with valves to fit the R134 chargers. Finally be aware, R134 generates more internal pressure than R12 while under normal operating conditions. For this reason, less volume is put into the system than equivalent R12. This should be accomplished using a system pressure gauge.
Since you live in Texas, you may be able to do what many in CA have done. Assuming your AC system is in good working order and no leaks, You should be able to obtain R12 freon in canisters for under $5.00 at Autoparts stores across the border in Mexico. However, if your system requires repairs, then it would just be simple enough to convert to R134.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: A/C conversion (lnoriel)

wow! I didn't know R 12 was that cheap in Mexico. I'm pretty sure I have a leak though so I might as well get my hands dirty. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts