VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there an orifice tube? I've been looking online for parts online and I only see an expansion block. Is this all there is? I checked the system pressure and it's ok. The fan works(on high) but my A/C still isn't cold.
Any suggestions?
Jeff

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Re: A/C orifice tube? (jpete)

I've heard that these cars have a lot of problems with the expansion valve. It's inside that block at the firewall. The one in our 93 would make a loud honking noise.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Re: A/C orifice tube? (A2B4guy)

Mine sounds like a horn too sometimes. My AC sure is cold though. Even when it hits 100 I don't keep the temp knob all the way cold.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (onetufvw)

I have a '95 GLX VR6. Where is the expansion block live and does it seem reasonable to think this is my problem?
I can't say it sounds like a horn. I don't recall it sounding like anything but it's been a while since I even tried it.
Jeff

·
Registered
562 Posts
Re: (jpete)

Nope, more than likely it’s you compressor. VW 93 and up are offal http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif when it comes to a/c
get ready for a hot summer or get a new compressor. I will be getting on this week, I can't fight the heat
, they cost way way to much.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jpete »
If there an orifice tube? I've been looking online for parts online and I only see an expansion block. Is this all there is? I checked the system pressure and it's ok. The fan works(on high) but my A/C still isn't cold.
Any suggestions?
Jeff

How did you check pressure(s) and what were the values? If the expansion valve is at fault, you will have nearly equal high side and low side pressures or extremely high high side pressures.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: A/C orifice tube? (blown_sixdub)

I just bought one of those kits with the gauge, a can of oil and a can or 134. As I remember the pressure was actually a bit high.
Jeff

·
Registered
1,822 Posts

Our systems are based on an expansion valve not orifice tube. As to your diagnosis, what you are lacking is the high side pressure reading. While a good sign of expansion valve blockage is elevated pressures on both sides, if the compressor shuts of (i.e. bad switch or clutch), the pressure on both sides will equalize and also reflect higher psi's than during normal operations on the low-side.
I have heard that expansion valve blockage is common though and replacing it is often suggested. If bockage did occur, it may also be time to flush out the system.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Re: A/C orifice tube? (CarlosFL)

A little of topic, but still about A/C...
If I bought an R-134a compressor, would it be a direct swap over the R-12 in my 91 16v?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Re: A/C orifice tube? (Action Jackson)

Quote, originally posted by Action Jackson »

If I bought an R-134a compressor, would it be a direct swap over the R-12 in my 91 16v?

I just don't see the need to replace the original "working" compressor Compression is compression afterall. Now, I'm sure the the R-12 compressor was designed for a slightly different working pressure but, regardless, the pressure it can produce should be sufficient. I, personnaly, believe it would be fine to simply draw out the R-12, fix any leaks, flush/clean out the system, replace some components (because they are tough to clean, damaged or just due) and re-fill with oil and R-134. It would be more correct to replace all seals also but I, personnaly, would not bother. I would only replace the accumulator (metal can w/ or near sight glass).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts