VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
25,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My A/C died a long time ago and today my father and I tried to recharge it. Started putting refrigerant in there and the clutch on the unit kicked on and the air was gettin cold. All of a sudden it died. Won't take anymore refirgerant and will not kick on. Anyone done A/C work themselves or could know possible problems??.... Thanks

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Re: A/C Problems.... (Ghetto-8v)

Sounds like your compressor locked up bro. Or it could just be the switch for the ac. Happened to my friends vr with the switch. And on mine it was the compressor itself that locked up.

·
Registered
13,875 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Ghetto-8v »
My A/C died a long time ago and today my father and I tried to recharge it. Started putting refrigerant in there and the clutch on the unit kicked on and the air was gettin cold. All of a sudden it died. Won't take anymore refirgerant and will not kick on. Anyone done A/C work themselves or could know possible problems??.... Thanks

I assume you weren't charging it through the high side? There are a number of possibilities really...fuse? High/low pressure switch? Clogged line/evap/condenser? Did you charge with oil? Can you shoot power to the clutch and make it engage? Does it try to engage maybe, but the compressor is locked due to one of the previously mentioned failures? That should be enough to start with...

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Re: A/C Problems.... (slammed dub)

I ended up buying a used ac compressor with a 2 year warranty from Vwsnaps (corey) from here on the tex and its been fine so far. Ive had it for a while already and its still pumpin ice cold ac.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts

You got me there man I dunno where it is I had my boy from the dealer do it all for me.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts

NAw its not like that he works for a dealer (Master Tech) but I went to his house afterhours and we worked on it there. He was doing the ac compressor and all that and I was doing the fuel filter and rear brakes.

·
Registered
13,875 Posts

I would first try to disconnect the pressure switch and jump pins 1 & 2, see if that enables your compressor to run. If not, check the relief valve on the back side of the compressor. If it's pushed out, your either overcharging (unlikely), or you have a blockage somewhere, or even a faulty valve (which I think deems the need for a new compressor.) HTH,

·
Registered
13,875 Posts

Jumped Pins, kicked on, let it run for 3 mins or so, kicked off by itself. Was blowing cold too..
I hate VW's... Any other idea's??

It feels your rage and is torturing you

Did jumping the pins make it come on, or was it because it sat for awhile? Pins still jumped and it quit working? Hows that relief valve? You did put oil in?

·
Registered
13,875 Posts

Pins still jumped and it quit working, got about a 1/4 to 1/2 can of oil in then the oring on the hose went so it went everywhere lol. I see no relief valve so I'm guessing it's fine..

Try to feel the backside of the compressor, the relief valve is towards the bottom and sometimes has a little plate thing adhered to it, just try feeling for a protruding object, and try pushing in on it. That's a really bad description on my part....
Can you turn your compressor by hand (or wrench rather, when it quits? Can you manually (with a power probe/jumper wire) shoot juice to the clutch and make it engage?

·
Registered
13,875 Posts

Relief valve is in, we tried jumping clutch earlier with 12v and nothing happened, we'll try it again. I'm starting to think I need a compressor...

Compressor can be quite costly, and that really doesn't seem like the prob (although it very well could be). I'm still favoring a blockage somewhere...Make sure if you do change the compressor, you change the receiver/dryer as well...

·
Registered
25,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: A/C Problems.... (73Thing)

Well if VW wasn't such crap all the oil woulda went in but it wanted to pop off and spray UV die all over the place http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
It appears that it kicks on when jumped then turns off about 5ish minutes afterwards everytime....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.