VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Re: A/C Question How much to fill it? (BJMRGTIVR6)

u cant really tell... mine came with a gauge in PSI and their is like a green yellow and red range... keep it in the green range which is i think 25psi??

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Re: A/C Question How much to fill it? (FroOch)

the bentley says that it takes 28oz of r134a refrigerant. I can't reemeber how much oil it needs. I just did mine today and I out in two 12oz of r134a and one 4 oz can of oil...

·
35,022 Posts

what did you end up doing? i'm about to get dinged $$ going somewhere to have them charge it - is this something a non- a/c inclined person can do?
i likely dont have the proper tools, and no way to check the pressure
~spoonie

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: A/C Question How much to fill it? (spoonie)

nothing yet. My appointment isn't until thursday. I was thinking about buying the self-charge A/C cans at Pep Boys and doing it myslef. The cans, I'm told, are around $10 each, which is better than the $100 charge at the mechanic. I'd save at least $40-50 buck depending on the amount of cans needed to buy.
I think all you do is plug the hose into the can and the valve. Then start your car and turn on the A/C and it'll suck out the jiuice in the can into the car. Shouldn't be too hard. I'll give it a try this evening and see what happens. I just want to be sure not to put in too much stuff...I've heard that'll be REAL bad.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts

check out walmart for cheap pricing on r134a. I bought mine on sale for 4.35 a can...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts