VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The a/c in my car hasn't worked for three or four years. It needs a whole new condenser, which, at $5-700 is more than I'm willing to spend. So I want to know, how hard would it be to take the a/c system out of the car (in the interest of cutting off some weight)? I'm not sure if the system has any charge left in it; I'd get that drained at a shop. I think the compressor runs off it's own belt. Can I disconnect the belt without causing any trouble? The system's not doing anything, and I'd just as soon get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Re: A/C removal (garbage)

sure thing! it shouldn't be that difficult. you might wanna look at a shop manual for your car just in case though. generally the a/c pulley is the last one on the crank (or was that the alternator pulley?)... either way it shouldn't be too bad. of course, you'll have some a/c buttons on your dash that don't do anything (wire it up to your N/A blow off valve noisemaker
)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: A/C removal (nsadhal)

quote:[HR][/HR]of course, you'll have some a/c buttons on your dash that don't do anything (wire it up to your N/A blow off valve noisemaker
)
[HR][/HR]​

...Exactly what I was thinking of doing!

·
Registered
2,700 Posts

Garbage, I apologize if these post doesn't apply to you but:
I've noticed this trend among high school and college age kids. Removal of A/C on otherwise stock cars. That's sheer stupidity. Kiss 20% of your cars resale value goodbye, if you can even sell it after that. For what....maybe 3-4 horsepower?
I'm sure you can find a used compressor on eBay or a junkyard for a cheap price (or even a nearly new one), because of all these dumbasses removing their A/C.
On the flip side....I put together a complete A/C system for my car and only had to buy 1 piece! The rest was given to me by naive (although very kind) Civic kids that looked at their A/C system as if it were a plague.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Re: A/C removal (AshlandSi)

quote:[HR][/HR]Garbage, I apologize if these post doesn't apply to you but:
I've noticed this trend among high school and college age kids. Removal of A/C on otherwise stock cars. That's sheer stupidity. Kiss 20% of your cars resale value goodbye, if you can even sell it after that. For what....maybe 3-4 horsepower?
I'm sure you can find a used compressor on eBay or a junkyard for a cheap price (or even a nearly new one), because of all these dumbasses removing their A/C.
On the flip side....I put together a complete A/C system for my car and only had to buy 1 piece! The rest was given to me by naive (although very kind) Civic kids that looked at their A/C system as if it were a plague.[HR][/HR]​
HEY NOW!!! I very rarely use my a/c, and with my upcoming H22A swap, i was debating this very issue.....whaddya think?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Re: A/C removal (Y2KRICEBOY)

Rice, I think in your case you don't have a choice
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
On the other hand, I've seen some stock Civics that have had their A/C ripped out. That's just silly.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts

If you're going for all-out performance, then removing the A/C might not be a bad idea. Personally, I'd make it work, but then it sometimes hits 120 here in the Summer. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]Garbage, I apologize if these post doesn't apply to you but:
On the flip side....I put together a complete A/C system for my car and only had to buy 1 piece! The rest was given to me by naive (although very kind) Civic kids that looked at their A/C system as if it were a plague.[HR][/HR]​

My car is almost ten years old, with 140k miles on it. Resale value isn't an issue here. I'll be driving this until it quits. I don't really have the mechanichal know-how to install a new condenser (my compressor is fine) and I would have to get it recharged. Plus, this was a CFC-using s/c system; I'm not sure how well it would work with whatever is used now. Basically, the a/c is never going to get fixed. I'm not expecting any power gains; I'd really just like to get rid of the extra weight. And the engine should rev a little better without the compressor connected.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts

I think if resale value is not an issue and you live in a temperate climate then it's not a terrible idea. At the very least you could remove the compressor belt and take the drag off the crank pulley (or whatever it's attached to on your car). Then if you change your mind in the future, you'll still have the stuff there.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts

One other thing...most heater boxes coexist with the A/C system and removing a bunch of A/C parts without being clear about what they do could put your heating system in jeapordy.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts

I dont know. I love my A/C, and would never remove it. If it ever stopped working, I'd fix it, no matter how much it would cost. It gets hot as hell during the summer here in NY, and sitting in a pool of my own nut-sweat is not an option.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]One other thing...most heater boxes coexist with the A/C system and removing a bunch of A/C parts without being clear about what they do could put your heating system in jeapordy.[HR][/HR]​

Yeah, I'll try and find a repair manual before I actually take anything out. I do need the heat up here
. Incidentally, that's this car's best feature. Once it's running, it only takes like two minutes to get the heat going full blast http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: A/C removal (anarchyx34)

quote:[HR][/HR]I dont know. I love my A/C, and would never remove it. If it ever stopped working, I'd fix it, no matter how much it would cost. It gets hot as hell during the summer here in NY, and sitting in a pool of my own nut-sweat is not an option.[HR][/HR]​

Thank you for that horrible image

1 - 13 of 13 Posts