VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys, looking for some opinions as to what could be the cause of the following problem. Stock 2003 24v with 100K.

Like to point out the slightly annoying and humorous coincidence that this starts happening after my extended warranty finished at 97K...go figure :banghead:

Symptoms/problem:
1. Intermitent Whining noise while A/C is on and ONLY when at idle. Whining noise is not a steady sound level, but will slowly come on and then slowly go away.
2. Whining noise is Louder inside the car than outside.
3. When this happens, the A/C clutch seems to disengage and the A/C starts blowing warm.
4. Doesn't sound like a loose belt (not a screeching sound), as I know that distinct noise and as I mentioned, it is louder inside than it is outside.

When the noise occurs, it will go away if I rev the engine, start driving, or turn off the A/C.

After I start driving, A/C will start blowing cold and it works perfectly. If I just rev it, the noise will fade/go away but the A/C will not always start blowing cold. After driving with the A/C working fine, If I come to a stop again, it is not guaranteed to start again, but it is happening more frequently.

I have been told it could be the A/C clutch going OR it could be the Belt Tensioner pulley/bearing or the entire Belt Tensioner Assembly needing replacement.

I ‘m kinda leaning towards it being the Belt Tensioner Assembly as it is strange that if I rev it the sound goes away, but the A/C could still not blow cold , but once I actually start driving the A/C will start blowing cold like normal. It is almost as if at IDLE there is not enough tension on the A/C to make it rotate properly to blow cold and then cause the weird noise or something??

I would appreciate some of your insight guys. Just trying to save myself some money and pinpoint which piece I need to replace.

· Registered
2,685 Posts
I've always had the same noise, especially when it is over 100 outside. I've replaced nearly everything, so I pretty much have it narrowed to the a/c clutch. I'm going to ignore it, my a/c always works and it has done it for 4 years.

It is easy to tell if your tensioner is ok, there is a small arrow on the arm that points between three marks on the tensioner body. You want it around the middle, but so long as it is any where within the 3 marks, it is fine.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1.8T with 126K on it. It has just started this as well. At first the compressor started cycling on and off. I figured that it had a problem with the cooling fans and small engine cooling fan had a crack in it and was out of balance so I replaced the whole fan assy. While driving, the AC blows cold, but when idling, it blows warm and the compressor or something starts whining...More low pitched like a vibration, but it is still a whine...As soon as I start driving again all is well. The fans do work while the engine is hot, but if I turn the ignition on and turn AC on, the fans do not come on. The coolant charge reads in the green area on the gauge and since it blows cold while driving I dont think coolant charge is an issue... I have checked the fuses inside the car as well as the fuses located on top of the battery and they are all good. Next I guess would be the cooling control circuit below the battery mount?

· Registered
6,401 Posts
you my friend might find this post very useful...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...nk-I-found-the-solution-to-your-(our)-problem.

Dr E and I have been battling this noise...
Here is a little video clip from my car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wACYyKszm5Y

things I have replaced are Tensioner, PS Pump and Water Pump.. noise still present!

you can try to take a long handled screw driver put it up to an accessory and put your ear on the handle and see if you can pin point the sound that way. I did not have luck finding the noise that way, seems this sound is harder to pass through the screw driver then a normal bearing sound...

chances are you will need the bearing for the AC pulley...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.