VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
Bunch of Crappy VWs
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've had a '13 CC for the last 2.5 years as a daily driver. It's generally been a good car for me. And then 2 months ago, a 2010 TDI Cup Edition Jetta was posted on Bring A Trailer. It got posted in the BaT thread on here and I commented that our local dealer got in a blue one during the buy backs and how sad I was to have seen it there.

And then @ConnorW commented that he was selling his blue, manual Cup Edition.

So I checked what I still owed on the CC and what I could get out of it and all that. Ended up sending a deposit on it so he would hold it for 2 months until my son was on spring break (which was part of the reason for buying the car).

So Tuesday, I sold the CC to CarMax for a good price. Then was Friday the day. We got up at 4 am to catch a 7 am flight from Greenville, SC to Portland OR. Connor picked us up at the airport and we went to his work a bit down the road. Did all the paperwork there and we set off from Portland toward the coast.

Passed this thing in Beaverton, OR. It was originally a muffler man that somebody changed the head on.

Then made it out to the coast. Highway 26 from Portland out to the coast is a cool route. It looked like they cut down just enough trees to build a road. Made it to the Seaside/Astoria area. That's the remains of the wreck of the Peter Iredale in the background. Apparently a ship that ran aground in 1906.

Then started the trek back toward the east coast. I-84 along the WA/OR border is a really cool interstate. It runs along the Columbia river. I made reservations in Kennewick, WA before we left SC. That probably wasn't the best idea. It was 10:30 pacific when we finally got there. After getting up at 4:00 eastern that morning. Needless to say I crashed shortly after getting to the hotel, which was on it's own island in the Columbia River. The Clover Island Inn. It was a nice hotel; I'd go back. This was the lighthouse on the island.

Left Kennewick and headed toward Spokane. Saw this cool milk bottle shaped building in Spokane.

And this giant phone booth.

Spent a few hours hanging out with a friend in Spokane, and then hit the road toward Idaho. Coeur d'Alene seemed like a really cool town. The lake was gorgeous.

And stopped in Wallace, ID to see the Stardust Motel. The motel looked sketchy, but the sign was awesome.

Then continued on. Stopped at the border of Idaho and Montana. It was rather chilly compared to the rest of the trip.

We're currently in a hotel in Missoula, MT. Hoping to make it to WY tomorrow...

·
Registered
2011 Jetta Sportwagen S 2.5L; 2021 Hyundai KONA SEL
360 Posts
Adding another crappy VW to the Bunch of crappy VWs... That's just wonderful!
Moreover, these Father-Son adventures are the salt and pepper of life (y)👨‍👧
Your son will remember this trip his whole life...
WTG!
(the car still look amazing after a decade!)

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'd love to trade my 2013 CC for a TDI Cup. I was just thinking about hat the other day.

From Missoula, you'll easily make it to Wyoming tomorrow. If you're staying on the 90, I'd suggest taking the US212 from Crow Agency and hitting the 90 in Spearfish, SD. You can easily make Rapid City, SD. Its a nicer drive and you can stop at Little Bighorn Battlefield in Crow Agency and Devil's Tower isn't too far off the road.

Enjoy the trip!

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
24,906 Posts
NICE!!!!! That is so cool. Car looks great and what a great road trip with your son.

As the guy above mentioned, if you have time to stop, detour to Devil's Tower. Pretty easy route that will loop you back on to I-90. Also a quick drive through the Badlands or Mt Rushmore in Rapid City.

Safe travels! In for updates.

·
Premium Member
3 MQB hatchbacks and some Fords.
853 Posts
Very cool! There was a white one of these always parked across from the pizza shop I lived above in college. Never saw the driver, car rarely moved but it is cool looking. Love the blue 👍🏼

Reactions: Stromaluski

·
Registered
13,012 Posts
Then continued on. Stopped at the border of Idaho and Montana. It was rather chilly compared to the rest of the trip.
Lookout Pass. I spent a while walking around there looking for cell service once as the T17 in my old 9-5 had barfed its guts out on the climb up from the Montana side.

·
Registered
Ci, Xi
1,380 Posts
NICE!!!!! That is so cool. Car looks great and what a great road trip with your son.

As the guy above mentioned, if you have time to stop, detour to Devil's Tower. Pretty easy route that will loop you back on to I-90. Also a quick drive through the Badlands or Mt Rushmore in Rapid City.

Safe travels! In for updates.
Definitely this! The roads around Rushmore are great, and the Badlands are simply beautiful.

If it works with your schedule I'd recommend the scenic route to Wyoming, head down towards Jackson WY on the Idaho side of the Grand Tetons, and cross over into WY via route 22/Teton Pass. Cool car too, didn't know they were a thing.

·
Registered
12,622 Posts
Enjoy the adventure with your son. That time together is very special. I’m not up to speed on the latest VW emissions scandal or what was done to address the problems. But they do look good. I’d totally rock a Mk5 Jetta 2.5 manual. I wish Thunder Bunny front bumpers weren’t NLA.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Awesome story, thanks for posting! Makes me miss my old 2010 TDI 6MT wagon, that was a great car.

What's the furthest you've gone on a tank of fuel so far on this trip? My best ever was Banff AB to Regina, 900km, with a tail wind. One 50L tank of fuel and the MFD said I had another 450km of range left! :)

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
24,906 Posts
Also - in between Missoula and Anaconda is the Pintler Scenic Loop. It's a nice break from I-90 and a really cool ride.

·
Premium Member
500e, Exige
22,408 Posts
Thanks for sharing, great post. Enjoy the drive with your son. I think blue is the best color on these.

When I was in undergrad (~2009), VW was doing something with one of the engineering programs and brought Jetta TDI Cup race cars to the college and gave everyone rides around an autocross track. It was a fun memory -- the race car was cool!

·
Premium Member
Bunch of Crappy VWs
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From Missoula, you'll easily make it to Wyoming tomorrow. If you're staying on the 90, I'd suggest taking the US212 from Crow Agency and hitting the 90 in Spearfish, SD. You can easily make Rapid City, SD. Its a nicer drive and you can stop at Little Bighorn Battlefield in Crow Agency and Devil's Tower isn't too far off the road.
I considered that, but it ended up being more out of the way than I wanted to do. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Already planning to see Devil's Tower and Mt Rushmore and a tour of the Badlands.

Definitely this! The roads around Rushmore are great, and the Badlands are simply beautiful.

If it works with your schedule I'd recommend the scenic route to Wyoming, head down towards Jackson WY on the Idaho side of the Grand Tetons, and cross over into WY via route 22/Teton Pass. Cool car too, didn't know they were a thing.
I really wanted to do this and go through Yellowstone, but it just wasn't in the cards since we need to be back in SC on Friday. I'll have to come back at some point. Another friend recommended this, as well, saying it was some of the coolest landscape he'd ever seen. He was a long haul truck driver for a good number of years.

Enjoy the adventure with your son. That time together is very special. I’m not up to speed on the latest VW emissions scandal or what was done to address the problems. But they do look good. I’d totally rock a Mk5 Jetta 2.5 manual. I wish Thunder Bunny front bumpers weren’t NLA.
Oh, believe me, I'm terrified that I'll end up driving over a curb or something and ripping off the bumper and breaking it into pieces.

I’ll throw out this idea. Stop in Cawker City KS and see the world’s largest ball of twine!
I would love to, but that's way off of our planned route, unfortunately.

Awesome story, thanks for posting! Makes me miss my old 2010 TDI 6MT wagon, that was a great car.

What's the furthest you've gone on a tank of fuel so far on this trip? My best ever was Banff AB to Regina, 900km, with a tail wind. One 50L tank of fuel and the MFD said I had another 450km of range left! :)
Averaged high 30s mpg on the first two tanks. Didn't help that I drove through MT with the cruise set at 88 mph, though, haha.

Also - in between Missoula and Anaconda is the Pintler Scenic Loop. It's a nice break from I-90 and a really cool ride.

Thank you for this tip! Took that detour today and it was awesome!

·
Premium Member
Bunch of Crappy VWs
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Made it to Sheridan, WY today.

Fun fact. Missoula, MT has a concrete cat on the sidewalk in their downtown. Missoula looked like it would be a cool town to spend a day in.

After leaving Missoula, we took a detour suggested by @UncleJB along the Anaconda-Pintler Scenic Highway, which is state highway 1, which turned out to be a fantastic detour.

After that, we stopped in Butte. Which I wasn't a fan of. It felt "dirty" to me, if that makes sense. Tried going to 4 different places for lunch before my son reminded me that Easter was today. Ended up eating at Dairy Queen. Could be worse.

After Butte, we stopped in Billings, where I parked on a sidwalk for this picture.

After that, we just continued on I-90 toward Wyoming. Stopped on the side of the interstate a couple times for pictures, haha. The landscape looked so odd to me with so few trees.

Planning to see Devil's Tour and Mt Rushmore tomorrow. Also driving through Hulett, WY on the way. My grandparents lived in Hulett for a few years back in the '50s.

·
Registered
2011 Jetta Sportwagen S 2.5L; 2021 Hyundai KONA SEL
360 Posts
What is that white area, a frozen lake or salt flats?
I do see also white on the hills surrounded it - which would translate into snow, but I've never been to Montana to make an educated guess.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts