VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
Evo VIII, Xterra, BMW E12
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on a family vacation in June, touring National Parks in Utah. We spent a few nights in Moab, and I couldn't resist renting a Jeep for some backcountry exploration. The Elephant Hill trail has been on my "bucket list" for almost 10 years now, since I first saw pictures of it on Expo.

I rented from Canyonlands Jeep rental, and had a good experience with them. I wanted a 4 door, just in case my parents wanted to come along (they didn't), and a Rubicon was only $20 more than a standard Sport, so I went for the Rubicon. The sway bar disconnect made things a lot smoother, and the lower gearing made crawling over the slickrock obstacles just a bit easier.

Elephant Hill was everything I had hoped for and more. Amazing scenery and the trail was surprisingly technical. Just enough obstacles to keep it interesting, but not enough to make it stressful. I would definitely not recommend this trail for a newbie, however.

My brother and I also took some time to explore the "Joint Trail", which was epic. It's absolutely worth it to hike this trail and explore the slot canyons.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Cool story, bro. Seriously that is cool. It'd be odd hoping in a 4x4 that I don't know and go wheeling like that. But still cool nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, it's an amazing area to explore by foot and 4x4. When I stopped at the visitor center to get my vehicle day permit, I asked the park ranger how many other vehicles had applied for permit that day, only 3! (Maximum is 24.) We did not see any other vehicles all day, and only 6 hikers. We truly felt like we were alone in this vast landscape. One day was not even close to being enough time, towards the end of the day I was rushing to get back to return the Jeep without being penalized. If I'm in the area again and renting a Jeep, I will definitely reserve it for at least two days.

I have a couple more pictures from the area that I can post this weekend if I remember.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Thanks guys, it's an amazing area to explore by foot and 4x4. When I stopped at the visitor center to get my vehicle day permit, I asked the park ranger how many other vehicles had applied for permit that day, only 3! (Maximum is 24.) We did not see any other vehicles all day, and only 6 hikers. We truly felt like we were alone in this vast landscape. One day was not even close to being enough time, towards the end of the day I was rushing to get back to return the Jeep without being penalized. If I'm in the area again and renting a Jeep, I will definitely reserve it for at least two days.

I have a couple more pictures from the area that I can post this weekend if I remember.
Looks like a blast. I love Canyonlands - it's epic to be alone in such a vast, beautiful landscape. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally getting around to posting a couple extra pictures for those interested.

Stock Rubicons are truly point and shoot:

Famous section of the trail called "The Squeeze":

Called the Devil's Lane, one of my favorite sections:

From the hike on the Joint Trail. Somehow I neglected to take any pictures from the slot canyons. Guess I need to go back!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts