VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without going into a REALLY long story, the plan for the day was shot thanks to a broken down tow rig, as well as too much traffic to really film for a certain show with another B5 S4. Oh well!

I still enjoyed the day, and simply snapped away. Thought you guys might enjoy some of the shots as well. A great perspective on the road...the red line being the road itself:

You get this while you're up there (not my pic)

Anyway, here goes! Enjoy!

This is how the trip started going south...

That doesn't look round. At all.

The S4 still looks good even trailered though!

Check this out. At least we pulled off the highway once we felt the vibration:

Yep, still looking A-OK from here:

Spare tire mounted up. It had never seen the light of day and had a nice bit of dirt built up around the rim.

Hey look at that, we made it!

Okay, finally stopped to give the truck a break. While stopped, it was a good time to start shooting! Too bad the light was so overhead and harsh.

Coolin' off

TCL Darling sighting :heart:

Goldwing!

And a WTF showed up

Alright, here's where it gets REAL fun. Tow rig shows no oil pressure out of nowhere. We'd checked everything beforehand (oil level, trans level, etc). All looked fresh and in good working order. Shut the truck off and turn it back on? Oil pressure! Momentarily. Oh crap. Truck starts making not so nice noises. Shut her down up in the hills and because of a lack of cell reception, we unload the Audi and head back down to civilization. Bummer.

Well, while they're trying to find a tow truck, I'm going to keep snapping away.

What's this? Targa Trophy cars?

Lots of quality cars around.

Turbo!

Saw no less than 15 of these.

Tune up and brakes already done, but thanks.

Back on the road up to the truck. No tow trucks available. Crap. Hey look, is that the other red Audi we were supposed to be meeting getting lit up by CHP? YES!

Looking...blurry. Pulled over for tint. Fun.

We pull over to wait and see if the red Audi spotted us. We were supposed to meet up, but due to our technical issues and a lack of cell service up there, it didn't go as planned. We wait...

Oh there he is!

WAIT STOP!

Phew, he saw us and turned around.

They chit chat, I keep snapping.

Hook 'em! Wait, wrong state.

The officer that pulled the Avant over, who then later pulled us over for no front plate. Luckily the truck/trailer were in sight and we informed him we didn't drive the car up there and such. Let off with a warning unlike the Avant.

Still shooting...

Wait a minute...what is that coming down the hill?

A little too relaxed...

Back up in the hills, waiting on a tow truck that the officer called in for us. Turns out it never showed up thanks to multiple accidents up in the hills beyond us. Apparently some BMW wanted to see what the guardrail tasted like. Still some nice stuff rolling past us though!

One of many from various agencies to go past...

Oh the turbo is back...

Nice Aztek

Yes, it really was THAT bright. Nice Nikes.

Heard this one from far off...

Well, after waiting for the tow truck that didn't show up, we kicked the truck over to see if it would run. Sure enough, all seemed okay again. Limped it slowly back down the hill, only to have it go dead about 5 miles down the road. Engine now sounds toasted. Time for more pics as we figure out WTF to do.

AHH, nice cars coming and I didn't have time to roll the shutter settings back a tad!

Downhill

Back to the bottom of the road to get cell reception. Trying to find an alternate tow truck.

Back up to the truck...a replacement rig has been sourced and the blown truck is going on the trailer.

Can you believe it's got 298k miles and 600 whp?

Let's shoot it rolling!

Oh! The KTM is back!

Last shot of the day, after dropping the broken truck off at its house.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone, glad you like! It was in fact a fairly enjoyable day for me, as I was just going to be taking pictures anyway!

That X6M :eek:

Nice shots, but why would you keep trying to turn the truck over? Even I know that's a bad idea...
Well, they got desperate after no tow trucks were available. They also wanted to get it to the bottom of the hill if possible, again in an effort to get a tow truck. The other concern was the trailer, which needed to be returned to U-Haul. There was no way to secure it from being stolen if it was simply left up there.

Believe it or not, the truck would sound okay if it sat for a bit. It wasn't throwing a CEL and we pulled codes and they were relatively minor (cam position sensor, timing retarded). Seemed like it could have been bad wiring or a bad sensor - and still may be? It's not my truck so I don't know. :laugh:

·
Registered
10,688 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Thanks everyone, glad you like! It was in fact a fairly enjoyable day for me, as I was just going to be taking pictures anyway!

Well, they got desperate after no tow trucks were available. They also wanted to get it to the bottom of the hill if possible, again in an effort to get a tow truck. The other concern was the trailer, which needed to be returned to U-Haul. There was no way to secure it from being stolen if it was simply left up there.

Believe it or not, the truck would sound okay if it sat for a bit. It wasn't throwing a CEL and we pulled codes and they were relatively minor (cam position sensor, timing retarded). Seemed like it could have been bad wiring or a bad sensor - and still may be? It's not my truck so I don't know. :laugh:
I'd be surprised if it was bad wiring or a sensor if you're getting low oil pressure. Sounds more like a sludgy engine problem. /armchair mechanic.

AWESOME pics though. I really enjoyed reading that. Makes me wish there was as big of a car enthusiast culture in the PNW as there is in California.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd be surprised if it was bad wiring or a sensor if you're getting low oil pressure. Sounds more like a sludgy engine problem. /armchair mechanic.

AWESOME pics though. I really enjoyed reading that. Makes me wish there was as big of a car enthusiast culture in the PNW as there is in California.
Thank you again all! And you're probably right, but the odd thing was that the oil pressure would come back up to normal if you shut the truck off for a bit, then drop to 0 out of nowhere (not a gradual loss, just instant drop).

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Angeles Crest on a weekday is sooo much fun. It does look really busy on a weekend, but that sure made for a lot of nice shots!
Yeah, the filming is going to be rescheduled for a weekday. It was crazy busy and loaded with CHP thanks to the Targa Trophy guys.

·
Registered
23,263 Posts
Yeah, the filming is going to be rescheduled for a weekday. It was crazy busy and loaded with CHP thanks to the Targa Trophy guys.
Good luck :thumbup:

I should also mention the Angeles Forest Highway that splits off Angeles Crest north to Palmdale is also a great drive, great scenery, and notably less trafficked. Best commute ever when I was in Lancaster with an internship in LA.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.