VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright.. so here is the diy.. for changing the drl on a 2001 jetta.. i do not take responsibility for anything you mess up or break on your car..
The DIY.. no cutting or soldering required..
you only have to swith the grey and yellow wires in the plug on both headlights
>>>EDIT!!<<<MAKE SURE **BEFORE** YOU CHANGE WIRES THAT YOUR FUSES 20,21,22,23 ARE ALL 15 AMPs
So take out the yellow wire from pin 7 and the gray wire from pin 10, then put the yellow into pin 10(where the gray USED to be) and the gray into pin 7(where the yellow used to be) and youre done..
__________________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________
____________________________PICS IF YOU NEED THEM BELOW________________________
AFTER DIY IS ALL SAID AND DONE PICS, NOTICE what color cables are in pins 7, and 10
Take Note** of what amp fuses should be in 20,21,22,23 spots all 15 Amps**
pin 7=gray
pin 10=yellow

>> this is what your harnesses should look like after completing the swap>>

all 4 fuses are 15 amp fuses,, its just hard to tell since the top 2 are light blue

END RESULT
while the ebrake is down..drl's are on, low beams are off

now look inside the plug and you should see a purple thing inside..

on one side you will see an opening..through which you can slide the purple locking thing out of the plug

slide out the purple lock using a key, or something small and sturdy(i used a exacto knife upside down to push on the plastic from inside the plug)

once you have that done.. use 2 paper clips or something sturdy( i used the clips of a office paper holding thingy..and straightened them out with pliers)and put them on the outside of the metal ends in the plug..look at the plug..you should see a bunch of metal terminals inside.. there is room to the top and bottom of each terminal..this is where you place the 2 metal prongs you just made..(see 3 pics below)

inser the 2 prongs/paperclips..and wiggle each one as you pull the corresponding wire from the back(the yellow..then follow same steps for grey
note THE HARDER YOU PULL THE MORE THE PIN WILL BRACE ITSELF IN THE PLASTIC..see pic below...

if you did this correctly the terminal should slide out the back along with a rubber grommet that keeps moisture out.. take a look at the terminal.. it has little hooks on the top and the bottom.. those are what keeps the terminal lodged inside the plug..thats why we made 2 sturdy prongs..to push those little teeth in.. BUT if you do not see the teeth on the terminal..it means you broke them off like i dod on one fo the terminals.. but dont worry.. if you put the terminal back..and slide the purple lock back it.. its going no where and will not cause you any problems..the purple thing keeps it from sliding out incase the teeth are broken

a picture of what the terminal looks.. if you look closely you can see the "teeth"

and thats it.. do this for the yellow and grey wire.. and just swith the spots that you pulled them out of.. grey goes where the yellow was pulled from.. and yellow goes where the grey was pulled from.. slide the purple lock back in.. connect back to headlight..and repeat the step on the other side(the drivers side is easier because there is more room to work with once you take off the headlight cover thing ..

now step back and enjoy the simple mod you did with out spending money on a euroswitch or any wiring/solder or anything of that sort..AND the best part is.. if you do not like this..or are selling your car.. you can put the wires back in their places using this DIY as a guide..
(my bulbs have been changed out.. thats why they look "hid" but they are just bulbs from pep boys for 2.99)..crappy cell pics
Enjoy

while the ebrake isdown..drl's

blinkers..using hazard switch

Modified by tofik0 at 9:17 PM 1-19-2010

Modified by tofik0 at 9:21 PM 1-19-2010

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: A DIY to change the DRL's on a Jetta (02jettakid17)

Quote, originally posted by 02jettakid17 »
interesting.
but isnt that illegal?
dont your turns have to be amber?

not to get ppl confused or discouraged ..the diy ISNT illegal in anyway..
my bulbs in my turn signals however could be.. idk.. cops in my area never gave my any trouble for them.. i have also replaced the fuse style194 bulbs in the fenders as well to blue.. and no one has given me any problem.. had it like this for over 2 months

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FV-QR

what? hah it still works as a drl and turn signal.. drl is dim.. when it flashes it turns very bright so that you can distinguish a turn signal if you look at it... and to tell you the truth.. i could care less what color the turn signal must be.. i have what suits me..

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
Re: FV-QR (tofik0)

Quote, originally posted by tofik0 »
so that you can distinguish a turn signal if you look at it...

Seems like it would be hard to "distinguish" your blue DRLs and from your turn signals, even if they get brighter.
The amber is there for a reason, so you can "distinguish" it from just a bright light on the front of a car.
IMO cool mod if you keep the amber...
but http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif for using blue.
This would go well in Quebec no-one uses their damn turn signals here anyway. (I'm not from here just living here for a kick ass job...

... and the hot brunette french wimenz.)

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
Re: A DIY to change the DRL's on a Jetta (Peter)

so if i made my blinkers into my DRL, would my, what use to be my DRLs, be my blinkers?

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FV-QR

hah no.. your drls are the main bulb in the housing .. 9007 im guessing.. which turns on when you let go of the ebrake..when you turn the switch it puts on the parking lights.. what this diy does is it disables the drls.. and just puts the front parking lights on when you let your ebrake down.. the rest functions as it should...blinkers blink.. his lows.. everything works.. but instead of the main bulbs being on.. the 2 smallers ones are turned on

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Re: A DIY to change the DRL's on a Jetta (sterkrazzy)

Yeah, ummmm. What was the wire you swapped it with going to? If I did this in a GTI, would it work the same? I have a seperate bulb for my city lights and my Turn signals.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Re: (Mister W)

Quote, originally posted by Mister W »
You know which color was the drl and the flashers?

By that i was meaning, which color wire was for drl, what color wire was for flasher. So you kind swao the parking light for the drl?
Look's cool, i have to see if it look the same with amber light.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif good diy anyway.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (Mister W)

Quote, originally posted by Mister W »

By that i was meaning, which color wire was for drl, what color wire was for flasher. So you kind swao the parking light for the drl?
Look's cool, i have to see if it look the same with amber light.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif good diy anyway.

grey and yellow

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Re: A DIY to change the DRL's on a Jetta (thetwodubheads)

Quote, originally posted by thetwodubheads »
Yeah, ummmm. What was the wire you swapped it with going to? If I did this in a GTI, would it work the same? I have a seperate bulb for my city lights and my Turn signals.

It doesn't work exactly the same... Ok. so I've been dying to do this to my Golf since I don't want to burn out my new Silverstar Ultras, and for the modded look of course. I was excited when I found this how-to because it looked so simple. I've been waiting for the rain to let up, but it doesn't look like that's happening, so I went for it in the rain.
First I used a 3/64 flat head screw driver out of a precision screwdriver set to get the purple thing off. Then, I used two of my girlfriend's bobby pins with the plastic ends taken off and the straight side stuck down in next to the connector with my finger wedged in between for pressure to depress the little clips to remove the connectors and switch them.
The passenger side of my '02 Golf had the wires mentioned: a yellow one and a grey one with a red stripe. They were in locations 7 and 10. So, I switched them. The drivers side had a yellow one with a black stripe and grey one with a black stripe in locations 7 and 10, so I switched those. It took about 15 minutes total, super easy...
Then I put everything back together how it went, and eager to see how it came out and share with you guys, I turned the car on and put the e-brake down. Here's what I saw:

MY CITY LIGHTS WERE NOW MY DRLS!!!!

Well this was a heck of a lot easier than the City Light as DRL mod in the FAQ, but how do I get the amber turn signals as my DRLs for a Golf/GTI???
tofik0, can you please double check which pins the wires were on that you switched?? And your pictures are all out of focus.
I guess I'm just gonna have to experiment by switching some more around until I get it.

Modified by firstorbit84 at 9:08 AM 8-14-2008

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Re: A DIY to change the DRL's on a Jetta (firstorbit84)

IMed you back....
for everyone else here, Jetta's do not have "city lights" they have a parking/turn signal. On our Golf/GTI it has a separate bulb. That is used as the "parking/city" light. If you want the amber turn bulb, you will need to trace the wire that goes into the turn signal back to the plug, and go for the corresponding pin on the harness plug. Swap that with the big yellow one.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Re: A DIY to change the DRL's on a Jetta (tofik0)

i got this problem, so i did the mod and it worked fine for a i would say a couple of hours. im on the way home and i get pulled over the cop says "your left headlight and taillight is out" i check them, and they are out (only the drls were working).. the mod somehow made my "lights" go out. i got home and reversed the mod to original settings and then the original drl's work but the "lights" that are suppose to come on stay dead (turn signal and brake light). anyone please help asap, i am leaving for college in iowa (16hr drive) and i need this fixed..

1 - 20 of 174 Posts