VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I'm running 4 gauge power through the firewall, which hole did you route the wire through?
2. The rear speakers on the Jetta deck, how do you access/get the tweeters out?
3. Can you drill right into the back of the seats to mount the amps? It's metal, right?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Re: A few car stereo install questions before I start... (Majik6)

1. I'll assume that the Jeta and GTI have identical firewalls. I routed my wire (4ga) through a hole straight back from the coolant reservoir, just outboard the power steering.
2. No idea...
3. I used industrial-strength velcro, and stuck my amp to the carpet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: A few car stereo install questions before I start... (1sik95jetta)

The 4 gauge is going to a fuseblock witha 4g in and 8g out.
Those are going to a Rockford 600a4 and a 400a.
Quote, originally posted by Joe GTI VR6 »

3. I used industrial-strength velcro, and stuck my amp to the carpet.

are you kidding me or are you being serious?

Modified by Majik6 at 7:40 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
6,408 Posts

1. Hole next behind coolant tank, make sure you put a hole in the grommet first and then replace it before running the wire...
2. no idea
3. I mounted my first set of Alpines that way...just drilled in then used some short sheet metal screws and ran the wire down the back of the seat into the bottom...just dont drill too far

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: A few car stereo install questions before I start... (southside)

ok cool.. just gotta find out about the rear tweeters. i wanna stuff the aftermarket ones in there, they just seem impossible to get to.
yeah, and i'll just drill em and run the wires, i think that's what i did in my GTi, but i can't remember. and i'll try and remember not to drill too far, as many times as i've left a bar and had my friends literally hop in the backseat like it's a sofa... they'd end up dead!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (apford1)

were you able to put put other tweeters in there?
im almost about to dish out $$ to have them install the whole system

·
Registered
499 Posts

Yeah, I used 2 strips of velcro. This isn't regular velcro. I swiped some while I was in the shipyard. This stuff will not let go.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Re: A few car stereo install questions before I start... (Joe GTI VR6)

yea screw your amp to the floor, you can hide the ground and speaker wires much easier... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
399 Posts

1. I ran the wire in my golf through a hole in the firewall in which there was nothing but a rubber plug, just use a razor blade and cut an x through it and bam.....your has been tapped
2. Crawl into the trunk you should be able to unbolt the whole speaker from there...then just get in the back seat and pull em out.
3. yes you can mount your amp straight to the back seat.....its got enough support...

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
twist the tweeter to the left with a lil force and it'll pop right out... put in the factory tweeter is a bitch though...
the back will hold and amp... i screwed mine right into it... it's like a hard cardboard back there... lol...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Re: (jerzee_tek)

The little rubber grommit that was previously mentioned, I took it out, drilled a hole in it, inserted the plastic grommit that came with the wire kit, then threaded the 4 ga. through the grommit and hole in the firewall, then re-snapped in the rubber grommit. I have my amps mounted on the back seats, you just have to be sure you go for the ribs of the metal because they're not solid sheets back there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (jwfowble)

good advice guys, thanks alot.
i just got a cute little bonus on my check, so i just might have the shop do it.. but we'll see. it'd be nice to just drop off my car and pick it up and have everything done. i hate putting stuff back together and the panels don't fit right or i lose a screw or some sht ya know? decisions decisions. i just bought $130 in rockford wiring yesterday.... might as well just have the whole joint put in... or save $200 and have them do it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Re: A few car stereo install questions before I start... (1sik95jetta)

Quote, originally posted by 1sik95jetta »
4 guage wire is huge. what are you powering?

I run 2 guage.

The bigger, the better!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

yeah, if it's one thing i know is that you don't skimp on the wires so i made sure i got the thickest... just like the cable between my legs.

·
Registered
21,576 Posts
i used a hole that was down near my clutch pedal and ran everything back that way.
And i dont know how long the screws are that you guys are putting through the back of the seat to hold the amp on my mine are like half an inch long so i dont impale somebody - thats why screws come in different sizes.
Dont give up on installing in yourself. Its really not that hard to do, and when you do it yourself you pay more attention to detail and learn something as you do it.
A few tips - dont forget to run the remote wire to the headunit.
You can ground your amp to this metal screw thats under the backseat behind the driver.
good luck, it shouldnt take you more than an hour or 2 depending on how quick you work.

·
Registered
22,379 Posts
Re: A few car stereo install questions before I start... (southside)

Quote, originally posted by southside »

3. I mounted my first set of Alpines that way...just drilled in then used some short sheet metal screws and ran the wire down the back of the seat into the bottom...just dont drill too far

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I used 1/2" screws...works well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts