VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I have put an intake, chip, exhaust, springs, and a shiftlight in my GTI. What would be the next engine upgrade for less than $1000? Also, why in some of the 0-60 times I have read is the 180 hp 1.8T faster than the 200hp VR6? The VR6 has more hp and torque and barely weighs more; i do not understand. Please someone explain.
Last question guys, what sort of 0-60 and 1/4 miles times should i expect on my GTI if im putting out about 240 engine hp now?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Re: A few questions about a 2003 GTI VR6 (VR6-GTI-MAN)

You could get a camshaft or short shift kit. Maybe a Quaff differental, but that might run over $1000. As for 0-60 times, I have not seen an accurate one for the 201 hp. I have seen 0-60 times for 174 hp between 6.5 to 6.7. It all depends on the testers. With what your running you might get 0-60's in the low to mid sixs and 1/4 in the high 14's.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i m guessin around the same maybe .3 quicker than the 174. Because if the extra 30hp pushes it to high 5s .... imagine how quick the R32 with another extra 40 hp can do.... but we have seen tests for the R32 and it ... well its quick but aint THAT quick.... its more in the ingear acceleration

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VR6-GTI-MAN »
if im putting out about 240 engine hp now?

On a VR6 with just an intake and a chip? Dream on...

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Re: (YU7671)

Quote, originally posted by YU7671 »
i m guessin around the same maybe .3 quicker than the 174. Because if the extra 30hp pushes it to high 5s .... imagine how quick the R32 with another extra 40 hp can do.... but we have seen tests for the R32 and it ... well its quick but aint THAT quick.... its more in the ingear acceleration

r32 loses a lot to its 4motion - drivetrain loss and extra weight, rght? anyway, yeah, md sixes for the new VR6. but 240hp??? i don't want to doubt, but is that a dynoed number or just a guesstimate?

·
Registered
689 Posts
The 1.8T is faster to 60 than the VR6 according to VW themselves. The weight of the engine (100lbs is not nothing, though some would have you beleive that) and the gearing probably play major roles in that stat. The 1.8T can do it in 6.5, Id say the VR is a tad slower, say just under 7. And you are not putting out 240hp with chip and exhaust.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The guys at the shop where i get my work done said that a chip, cold air intake, and exhaust system will add about 40 engine horsepower. So thats how i got the number 240.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Re: (VR6-GTI-MAN)

can you get to 60 in the six speed in 2nd? i have the new 5 speed (03) and i know i can get to 70ish in second. id assume if they had to make 2 gear shifts it would add time...

·
Registered
607 Posts
Re: (VR6-GTI-MAN)

The guys at the shop where i get my work done said that a chip, cold air intake, and exhaust system will add about 40 engine horsepower. So thats how i got the number 240.

Oh man they lied to you. Go check out the 24v forum and you'll see what type of power those mods add up to. There are dyno sheets to prove it. No way the 24v makes 240 with those mods.
And the 0-60 time from what I've heard is a result of having to shift into 3rd do to the close ratio six-speed tranny. With a chip your rev limiter should be expanded to about 7200rpm so 0-60 in 2nd should be do-able. But I have not been "smoked" yet by a 1.8T. At worse we've stayed even til I hit the mid to top of 4th and I'd start to pull away.

Modified by JshWon at 3:01 PM 6-30-2003

·
Registered
S4, B8.5, M/T, Stg3
8,234 Posts

First of all I have put an intake, chip, exhaust, springs, and a shiftlight in my GTI. What would be the next engine upgrade for less than $1000?

Thats pretty much it for the VR6 w/o more than a $1k.
Once you have the funds, look into lighter wheels, Cams, body weight reduction, LSD, then you either dump $$$ into a SC, a Turbo or throw in some wet juice into it (just take the chip timing advance down to stock)!

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote, originally posted by SilverStoned »
Shiftlight? Please enlighten me.

I put on an extra tachometer to the left of the steering wheels on the dashboard and that has a light that u can set to go off at any given rpms. Because of this you are supposed to get fast reaction times while shifting which has take a hair of your 1/4 mile.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts