VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
So I have had the car a week. Is it just me (or maybe the car), but does the most-left vent not work well if the heat is on upper and lower? Even on upper only it doesnt work all that great.
What is with hot/cold air blowing in through the heat vents when the heat/ac is off?
Why am I getting such crappy gas mileage? What happened to the 20 miles to the gallon?
Other than that, car is good. Dealer did not clean it all that well but what can you do. I got a free detailing out of it.
Thanks! Kate

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Re: A Few Questions about the new car... (KateA99)

quote:[HR][/HR] What is with hot/cold air blowing in through the heat vents when the heat/ac is off?[HR][/HR]​
Not to sure they are all like that.
quote:[HR][/HR]why am I getting such crappy gas mileage? What happened to the 20 miles to the gallon?[HR][/HR]​
What motor do you have? 2L does alright on gas, My 1.8T gets better gas mileage then my 4cyl Jeep Wrangler, much better mileage. Now the VR6 can suck up some gas, what kind of car did you have before?
quote:[HR][/HR]Other than that, car is good. Dealer did not clean it all that well but what can you do. I got a free detailing out of it.[HR][/HR]​
Welcome to the wonderful world of VW dealers, not all of them are bad but most of them are. Trust me in a few weeks you will get a dealer rating form, if you score the dealer anything less then perfect they will hear it from VWOA.
[/QUOTE]
quote:[HR][/HR]Thanks! Kate[HR][/HR]​
Welcome To The Vortex Kate!

[Modified by yoVWmon, 11:16 AM 4-6-2002]

·
Registered
2,041 Posts

As far as gas mileage goes the dealer will give the car a rating like 32 or something like that for highway, this is based off someone driving it like a total wuss. If you understand how a turbo works you will realize that your gas mileage can fluctuate a great deal, the harder you drive the worse you're gas mileage. Don't know about the whole heating thing, just my 2 cents, welcome to vortex.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
What is with hot/cold air blowing in through the heat vents when the heat/ac is off?
[HR][/HR]​
If you want to stop that just press the "recirculate" button (which if I remember correctly is beside the A/C button) and that will stop the air from coming in when you have the system off.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Maybe check your tires' air pressure?
(Check the inside of the fuel tank flap for the suggested #'s).
Other things you will notice are:
When you open the driver's side door, you will hear the fuel pump start, this is normal.
After driving a for a few minutes, when the car is stopped or moving slowly, you will hear some dull thumps which is the ABS testing itself, also normal.
If your speakers sound louder on the right than on the left, then the left rear speakers are probably crosswired behind the dash. The dealership should fix it for you if you mention it, or you can fix it yourself.

[Modified by runaway, 12:14 PM 4-6-2002]

·
Registered
44 Posts

I have a brand new 2002 GLS 1.8T myself. The gas mileage thing does really depend on how you drive your car. The first 3 weeks of picking up my car, I was driving like the elderly (had to be nice to the car during break-in period) and my gas mileage was awesome. I've been blowing through gas like crazy the past 2 weeks because I've been driving it the way it is supposed to (like an F*ing maniac!).
For some reason, that left vent will never blow air with the same velocity as the others. This is my 3rd VW and the case was the same with my other 2. I believe the reason for air coming out of the vents when you have your AC/Heat off is because VW made it that way to give you air ventilation to create better ambient air (or something). I recall reading this in one of my older VW manuals. The faster you drive, the more air blows out even when you have everything off. Plus, it's a flatulence fighter.

·
Registered
180 Posts

I get about 21mpg in the city and I hit the boost fairly often. Probably you should let the engine wear in for a while before taking a measurement of fuel economy. Sometimes, fuel economy improves dramatically. But the other guy is right, it really depends on how you drive the car.

·
Registered
350 Posts

Don't freak out when you hear a tapping sound occasionally from the engine either. Most 1.8T's do this and there is all kinds of speculation as to what it is. So, all in all,you should expect to hear: 1. Gas tank priming itself when you open your door 2. ABS makes a 'thunk' noise to test itself shortly after moving 3. Tapping engine sound when at stop lights 4. and probably dash board rattles.
BUT, the best part is the turbo whiiiiiiiiiiiiining when you give it some gas.. PHHHSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I love it, I love it

·
Registered
237 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]So I have had the car a week. Is it just me (or maybe the car), but does the most-left vent not work well if the heat is on upper and lower? Even on upper only it doesnt work all that great. [HR][/HR]​
If you close the other vents, the driver side vent will work better. I normally leave the passenger side vent closed until my passenger starts complaining.

quote:[HR][/HR]Other than that, car is good. Dealer did not clean it all that well but what can you do. I got a free detailing out of it.[HR][/HR]​
DIY! I won't trust my black GTI to any other person to wash it.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Why am I getting such crappy gas mileage? What happened to the 20 miles to the gallon?
[HR][/HR]​
this is normal. all cars use more gas than normal while they're breaking in. don't worry, it'll get better

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Re: A Few Questions about the new car... (yoVWmon)

quote:[HR][/HR]What motor do you have? 2L does alright on gas, My 1.8T gets better gas mileage then my 4cyl Jeep Wrangler, much better mileage. Now the VR6 can suck up some gas, what kind of car did you have before?[HR][/HR]​
i should hope so... isnt the jeep 4cyl a 2.5? and its pulling a heavy car..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.