VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I'm completely new to volkswagens. I just bought a 2003 GTI 1.8t and I love the car. for performance mods, i have a few things i wanna know. First off, i was told u cant do an aftermarket blow off valve, is that true? and if u can do it, which one should I got with. 2nd, what are the best springs to get, and will I need to upgrade the struts/shocks when i get the springs, or will it ride ok with the stock suspension. and 3rd, i know in my friends sti, he needs to let the turbo idle for about 5 mins before he turns the car, but hes also running i believe 18.5 lbs of boost stock, so before i shut down my 1.8t, should i let the car idle for a few mins? thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Re: A few questions for a new vdubb head (RedGTI18t)

Alright, here's a few answers for you:
1. You CAN run a BOV on your 1.8T, but this has been a heated discussion around here from the time the 1.8T was invented. Its easier to purchase (and cheaper) an aftermarket DV, such as one from Forge http://www.forgemotorsport.com...18TDV
2. Best springs? There's so many choices out there it isn't even funny. If you want to run just springs, (not coilovers), there's Neuspeed, H&R, etc. It all depends on how much of a drop you want. As a basic guideline, if you're going more than 2" down, you're going to run into some front swaybar clearance issues. As for the stock shocks, they'll do, but the ride won't be as nice, and you'll probably have to end up replacing them anyways, as the extra wear and tear caused by the stiffer springs will cause them to wear out sooner.
3. Letting your turbo cool down is never a bad idea. I usually only let mine cool down after long drives, or after hard driving. It all depends on how quick and hard you've been driving your car before you're ready to turn it off. Basically, it certainly can't hurt it. Warming it up when you first start the car is also a very good idea.
Hope this helps, and I'm sure some others will have some better and more detailed info for you soon enough.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts

i'm a nOOb myself, but here's what i've learned (before you get flamed by people with "if you spent all your free time on vortex like me you would have known this was asked X amount of times this week")
1. VW's come with DV's, not BOV's. Most say bov's are not good for our cars and if you're not chipped there's really no need to replace the stock DV just yet. If you really want that ppsssssshhht sound (which is just TOO furious for my tastes), get a BOV but be warned.
2. If you're going to replace the springs, replace the shocks too. Get whatever you can afford.
3. If you drive it hard, let the turbo cool off a bit before you turn the car off, a minute or so is fine

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

1. DV, not BOV. try the 007.
2. cooling down is always good, but if you dont feel like sitting in your car for a few minutes, get a turbo timer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts