VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going the exact opposite direction then most. I am going for a strong/lightweight 17" wheel. I have thought of BBS because of the reputation. But I was hoping others had experience in this type of wheel. One wheel I have always admired.

· Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: A good performance 17" wheel? (asuckiel)

I am strange and like the look of a 17inch over larger wheels. So I might as well go with some lower weight wheels. Along with the suspension I plan on going with.
Quote, originally posted by asuckiel »
Saving weight?

· Registered
896 Posts
Re: A good performance 17" wheel? (Mehr_PSI)

Quote, originally posted by Mehr_PSI »
I am going the exact opposite direction then most. I am going for a strong/lightweight 17" wheel. I have thought of BBS because of the reputation. But I was hoping others had experience in this type of wheel. One wheel I have always admired.

wow, another mkV owner not doing 18" wheels. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
4,669 Posts
Re: A good performance 17" wheel? (scrubs_barbie)

Quote, originally posted by scrubs_barbie »

wow, another mkV owner not doing 18" wheels. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I wanted 17" from the get go knowing that the 18"s are just for looks. Which is why I have Denvers and not Huffs.
I'd really like to run a 245/50/16.

Always run the smallest brakes you can get away with and fit the smallest wheel you can fit over the brakes, that's what I've always been taught.
Aside from the aforementioned OZ Ultraleggra, Tire Rack sells the 17.5lb TR Motorsport MT1 for $259. That is .1lb lighter and $4 less than OZ. Spitting hairs at that point, but it is what it is.
To get under 17lbs. I'm thinking you will have to spend big money, and the price per oz. might not be worth unless you are racing for cash and prizes.

· Registered
2018 Golf GTI Autobahn | 1993 VW Corrado SLC | 2022 Porsche 718 Boxster T
6,302 Posts
Re: A good performance 17" wheel? (TarmacSpecial)

See if you can find any OZ Crono HT anywhere - I run them in 17 on my GTI, but they appear to hasve been discontinued. I think they way in at 18lbs, or 18.5 at most. Pretty good...

· Registered
1,351 Posts

Quote, originally posted by TarmacSpecial »

I wanted 17" from the get go knowing that the 18"s are just for looks. Which is why I have Denvers and not Huffs.
I'd really like to run a 245/50/16.

Always run the smallest brakes you can get away with and fit the smallest wheel you can fit over the brakes, that's what I've always been taught.
Aside from the aforementioned OZ Ultraleggra, Tire Rack sells the 17.5lb TR Motorsport MT1 for $259. That is .1lb lighter and $4 less than OZ. Spitting hairs at that point, but it is what it is.
To get under 17lbs. I'm thinking you will have to spend big money, and the price per oz. might not be worth unless you are racing for cash and prizes.

Though you probably arent looking to go any smaller than 17", but I bought a set of 16" oz cronos ht from tirerack now that they are on clearance, only weigh 15lbs! Also got them with a set of fantastic potenza re01r tires and to me, it has been the best mod i've done so far http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
4,669 Posts
Re: A good performance 17" wheel? (pdi192)

Quote, originally posted by pdi192 »

Though you probably arent looking to go any smaller than 17", but I bought a set of 16" oz cronos ht from tirerack now that they are on clearance, only weigh 15lbs! Also got them with a set of fantastic potenza re01r tires and to me, it has been the best mod i've done so far http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Oh that's awesome! Actually I do want a set of 16s for track and auto-x.
What tire size are you running? I think I'd roll the fenders just to be able to run 245's if I have to.

· Registered
1,351 Posts

Quote, originally posted by TarmacSpecial »

Oh that's awesome! Actually I do want a set of 16s for track and auto-x.
What tire size are you running? I think I'd roll the fenders just to be able to run 245's if I have to.

the wheels are only 16x7 so im only running 205s but that paired with rsb and my coils produced a LARGE improvement over stock in the handling department; the car is extremely neutral through turns and it grips amazingly well http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
24,318 Posts
Re: A good performance 17" wheel? (Mehr_PSI)

Quote, originally posted by Mehr_PSI »
I am strange...

No, you are not. 16" or 17" may not only look better to some, but more importantly, when lightweight, provide better handling and performance than anything larger.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.