VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i know the new crv engine can be mated with the integra type R head and mounted into a CRX, i was just wondering what tranmission options would be available to me, cause i wouldn't wanna use the CRV's 4 spd slushbox, does the RSX's 6spd box mount up to it?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Re: a honda project car idea... (purplejettahondaeater)

what? this is vwvortex... seems to me like your question is a little out of place....

·
2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
48,558 Posts

Are you talking old or new CRV? The CRV actually comes with a manual transmission, although I'm not sure if you can put that tranny into a CRX. The RSX box is a no-go because I believe the input spins in the opposite direction of the old trannies.
I'm no Honda expert, so it would be good to have someone confirm or deny my claims.

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: a honda project car idea... (ExtremeVR6)

quote:[HR][/HR]what? this is vwvortex... seems to me like your question is a little out of place....
[HR][/HR]​
umm THIS is the CAR LOUNGE newbie, talk of ALL cars goes on so put your bias aside
CP i was thinking the new crv engine
[edit haha CP you beat me to it edit]

[Modified by purplejettahondaeater, 12:37 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Re: a honda project car idea... (CanuckPal)

mmhmmm ... cool ... well can't say I know anything about honda's so I'm out ...

·
Registered
2,557 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]umm THIS is the CAR LOUNGE newbie[HR][/HR]​
yeah that's cool ... glad you can be condescending like many other people out there... good luck with your project...

·
Registered
350 Posts

any B series transmission will bolt up... LS GSR, Type R or b16a... the CRV block is a b series block... it has to be modified a little, but you can bolt the ITR head on it... and IMO>.. i would just buy a full b20 motor and turbo it...

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]umm THIS is the CAR LOUNGE newbie
yeah that's cool ... glad you can be condescending like many other people out there... good luck with your project... [HR][/HR]​
hey man i mean no harm just don't come jump on my case for posting a thread about actually being interesting in other types of cars, if you're going to chastise me do it about my previous ignorance, like bashing my username

·
Registered
70 Posts

if it is the same bottom end as a crv then it will fit. check out hybridhonda.com
remember that this is a VW page, be real with the questions...

[Modified by HybridS3, 3:50 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
27,070 Posts

You can mate a Integra trans up to it from what I know. If you want ask http://www.midwestimportracing.com A couple guys on that board are genuises...
Good luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Piney

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: a honda project car idea... (pedro_sport)

CRX's are sweet dude, nice short wheel base, handles disguisinly well, i really don't miss power steering, plus power steering can be swapped in with suspension goodies, and
WEIGHT
they are so light, they is no substitute for a light car, a car that light doesn't need much torque down low, so a screening high revving honda engine is perfect for it
just make sure you have another car for rainy days, long trips and hauling lots of stuff around

·
Registered
734 Posts

If you want something light, fast and saftey is not an issue dont get a POS CRX. Get a Sport Bike.

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: a honda project car idea... (pedro_sport)

is a CBR600 a good enough sport bike for ya cause i already have one of those, i'm looking for a NEW toy
oh note, you probably won't like that bike, it's a honda...
don't judge my opinions on what i wanna do, if you have a better idea suggest it, otherwise if you don't have positive input keep your mouth shut, oh and take another read through your user agreement

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Re: a honda project car idea... (PineappleMonkey)

check http://hybrid.honda-perf.org for more info too.
As mentioned previously, any B-series tranny mounts up. Building a reliable cr-vtec is going to cost quite a bit more than you'd think though. To get one built professionally would cost you somewhere in the realm of 10 large. Of course, you can do it yourself and all, but parts are crazy expensive. You probably wouldn't be using an ITR head, but a b16a (civic si) head. Anything off of honda's new engines (since 2001) is definitely out of the picture. The closest transmission I believe is the ITR one, but that makes for high freeway revs, which is twice as bad on a frankenstein engine. GS-R tranny tends to be a good compromise between freeway revs and close, sporty gearing.
If you're not already set on building a cr-vtec, you might want to look at other options, like a forced induction b20 or just straight b18c swap.
Things to note...
almost every used b-series engine is currently overpriced just because of demand.
Same goes for trannies. CRX generally requires tranny/axels from 2nd gen integra or 4th gen civic to make things easy. I think 2nd gen gs-r trannies are hard to find (as are b17a's). 2nd gen 'teg LS tranny might be an alright choice if you plan on going forced induction.
putting a vtec head into a pre-obd car includes lots of additional rewiring (unless you get a JDM head from the CRX/Civic SiR).
Any VTEC b-series has hood clearance problems with regular 4th gen Civic/CRX, this can be solved by hacking at your hood or getting a JDM SiR hood (bumps up instead of down).
Things can be made a bit simpler by using a 5th generation Civic hatchback since wiring works out easy and you can use a newer tranny.
i suggest doing a lot more research, and don't take my word on any of this.

·
Banned
12,115 Posts
Re: a honda project car idea... (nsadhal)

Alright, who cross-posted this to all the MkIV owners?

I think this CRX hybrid idea would be a great one. I yern for a hybrid CRX...that would be very very cool.

And to all the naysayer morons? You know where to go. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Re: a honda project car idea... (mtrainVR6)

My friend has a b20 with a ported b16 head, 13:1 CR pistons, not sure on the intake manifold, cams, a header and full 2.5 inch exhaust in a 5g DX hatch. It's got a programmable ecu to deal with the high CR. It's so fast it isn't even funny; and it's totally sleeper! I know he's got about $20k into the whole deal, including the car, with him doing a lot of the work. That also includes the original b16 swap, suspension, wheels and tires etc. I think he is using the original tranny with a limited slip, but I'm not 100% sure. Good luck with the swap, I'm envious of the options the Honda crowd has for these things.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts