VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Fit was so-so - the holes didnt quite line up perfectly, and at the back i had to fold it over before screwing down the ring because the boot diameter was too large... that kind of thing annoys me.
Can you ellaborate how you got it to fit?
Mine looks [email protected] awful and I'm really pissed because one of the ring screws went missing so altogether it just looks like @ss.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Can you ellaborate how you got it to fit?
Mine looks [email protected] awful and I'm really pissed because one of the ring screws went missing so altogether it just looks like @ss.
Can't help you with the Sh**ty fitting shift boot, but as for the missing ring bolts, just head to your local Ace Hardware and get yourself 8 replacement stainless steel bolts, sized M4 x 10. They will be Hex, not Torx bolts, but they'll look much better than the old ones.

·
Registered
9,623 Posts
I know I have been gone a while from the TEX but am I the only one who thinks a vendor coming into your thread to sell you something is unacceptable?? I have bought from ECS and I enjoy the products but it is kind of shameless I think.... Perhaps I am overly sensative about it? Nice interior by the way:thumbup:
agreed. ECS has been doing that A LOT it seems.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Can't help you with the Sh**ty fitting shift boot, but as for the missing ring bolts, just head to your local Ace Hardware and get yourself 8 replacement stainless steel bolts, sized M4 x 10. They will be Hex, not Torx bolts, but they'll look much better than the old ones.
OEM shift ring bolts (N10456101) are cheap. I got replacements from genuinevwaudiparts for 18cents each. but, unless you need other stuff you might as well go to the dealer...they'll be more like 30cents.

cheers

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
I had an alcantara shift boot laying around without a good knob for it - this thread showed the one i was looking for - picked it up for $20 as well.

Thanks TTC2k5 for the confirmation on just putting the hurt on the knob until it came loose.

Here's my install:
Did you leave the rubber rings underneath or no? If not how did you keep the top of the boot from falling down?

Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Did you leave the rubber rings underneath or no? If not how did you keep the top of the boot from falling down?

Thanks!
I took out the rubber rings, the aluminum "shell", and the spring that holds the "shell" up against the bottom of the knob. Basically, everything shown here, except I put the outer ring back obviously.

To keep the boot up, i tucked it up under the knob screw-on ring and a little bit into the bottom of the knob. Be careful not to tuck it up too high, or the set screws will be screwing into the boot material... then the material will come out from under the screw and it will be loose. I didn't zip-tie mine, because i didn't have any small zip-ties. When i get my car back from having the flywheel/clutch installed, I probably will try to zip-tie it with a very small zip-tie and try to get that bottom screw-on ring to go over it. I'd take pics if I had my car :(

·
Registered
861 Posts
I took out the rubber rings, the aluminum "shell", and the spring that holds the "shell" up against the bottom of the knob. Basically, everything shown here, except I put the outer ring back obviously.

To keep the boot up, i tucked it up under the knob screw-on ring and a little bit into the bottom of the knob. Be careful not to tuck it up too high, or the set screws will be screwing into the boot material... then the material will come out from under the screw and it will be loose. I didn't zip-tie mine, because i didn't have any small zip-ties. When i get my car back from having the flywheel/clutch installed, I probably will try to zip-tie it with a very small zip-tie and try to get that bottom screw-on ring to go over it. I'd take pics if I had my car :(
Maybe my car is missing something, or I've really overlooked something.
Where is this screw on ring?
I can't seem to figure out what you are referring to, either way I'll probably go for a re-install tomorrow.
:beer:

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I got one of the universal knobs from autozone last week and installed it yesterday. Looks much better in real life...pics don't do it justice.

Feels good too.

Shown here from the side. Needs adjusting as it was not centered when I tightened the set screws.

Looks oversized here, but not. Knob diameter is about same as OEM knob.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts

·
Registered
9,623 Posts
I want your seats. :mad:

I got one of the universal knobs from autozone last week and installed it yesterday. Looks much better in real life...pics don't do it justice.

Feels good too.

Shown here from the side. Needs adjusting as it was not centered when I tightened the set screws.

Looks oversized here, but not. Knob diameter is about same as OEM knob.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Hey nice upgrades~
What brand / model is your LCD stereo?
Does it hide behind the original silver panel?
I want a navigation stereo on my TT but want it hidden behind the silver panel for theft issues...
Stereo is the OEM Concert I. (second pic) Third pic is auto climate control.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
41 - 60 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.