VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuesday afternoon- My girlfriend gets stranded in her Scirocco, I show up........ after some poking around I discovered in was in need of a new ignition rotor, so I went and got a new one and popped it in. It cranked up and ran fine, she was happy. Heres where it gets stupid........ I decided to pull a plug to check their condition. I did that..... but forgot to rec-conect the spark plug wire to cylinder #1.
First of all I hadn't slept in almost 24 hours so I was exhausted, plus I was trying to explain everything to her as I went so I was distracted, I dropped a socket into her engine bay, spent 10 min fishing it out from below, she closed the hood thinking I was finished so it wasn't staring me right in the face when I got out from under the car and the plug wire just slipped my mind......
After a few blocks running on only 3 cylinders she pulled over because it sounded funny to her (I bet it did!) and was overheating. The radiator fan wasn't coming on even though the temp was above 1/2 way up, and there was brown water splattered all over the engine bay. Feeling out of my league, I had it towed to the closest repair shop. Big mistake.
Tuesday night- Drop it off at the shop, which is not too far from where it broke down, and close to her house. They tell me they will pressure test it the next day to see whats wrong.
Wednesday afternoon- Turns out to be a bad water pump. They want $70 for the new pump and $150 for labor on that, and another $30 to change the 2 heater hoses. It already sounded like a lot of $$$ to me but I gave them the go ahead to do it because they promised to have it done the next afternoon, which is a lot faster than I could have done it myself.
Thursday- My girlfriend calls the shop to check up on her car and they tell her they want an additional $60 because the first two water pump bolts came out fine, but the "other 2 are so corroded and rusted that they will have to be drilled out". She gave them a little grief over this and told them it sounded like too much. Eventually she gives in and tells them to go ahead and do the work, but they refuse!! They say they need MY approval since I brought the car in and talked to them originally. Even though they know it is HER car, and her name/phone # was on the work order/paperwork along with mine they refuse to listen to her or give her any respect!! She couldn't get ahold of me all day so her car never got fixed even though they had promised to have it done by closing that day.
Friday morning (today)- I call up the shop first chance and talk to them bout this $60 charge. I try to inquire about the amount of labor required but they won't answer me, only tell me that its a set price, just like the charge for changing the heater hoses and can't be changed. Since its Friday its now too late to try and get the car into a different shop, plus theres hardly anywhere else in this town that will do this kind of work. She needed the car like YESTERDAY. So I give them the go ahead to fix it. We're supposed to pick it up later today.

Ok, for all of you that actually read all of that, is there anything I can do now? Is there anyway I can demand to be charged one sum for all labor involved, instead of paying for 3 hours labor to change the pump, in addtion to the seperate fees of changing the hoses ($30) and drilling out the 2 bolts ($60)? I feel like I'm getting robbed, cus they will probably spend 2-3 hours MAX on all of that stuff and at $50/hour, I am paying the equivalent of about 5 hours labor total. Its gonna cost about $334 for everything!
Btw, I'm leaving out a lot, they really treated my girl like crap. This was a mistake and I'm never planning on bringing a car there ever again, I just feel like I'm getting screwed since I don't have any other option right now.

[Modified by Ponyboy Curtis, 5:41 PM 5-31-2002]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Re: a little off topic, but I'm mad!!! (Ponyboy Curtis)

oh, man.. i'm sorry to hear about your plight. There seem to be a lot of places that really don't care about the people who keep food on their tables.. the customers.
Please, share the name of the shop so that nobody else around there gets boned by them.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: a little off topic, but I'm mad!!! (apanthropy)

I'm gonna tell them that no car of mine or hers, or anyone I know will ever roll into their shop. This was my first time, and my last. I'm gonna give them plenty of grief today when I pick it up. I know it will be pointless and just make me look like a jerk, but it will make me feel better for getting jerked around.
oh and one more thing..... no more working on cars when I'm sleepwalking. bad things happen!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts

I guess nobody wants to tell ya, so I will: that sounds about right for the $$$$, but shame the guys are jerks about it.
I could go into great detail on how businesses operate and the economy and stuff like that, but I would hate to hear the story on the news about the guy who was muttering "LP, LP, LP" on his way up to the top of a tall buiding, carrying a large caliber rifle.
Louis P

[Modified by 92foxrox, 8:17 AM 6-1-2002]

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: a little off topic, but I'm mad!!! (92foxrox)

$60 to drill/tap out TWO bolts? I made them show me the bolts, I caught them by suprise and they dug em out from under a pile of tools. They were tiny little things. I just hate paying set prices for things like that when I'm already being charged labor for other work done. It lets them get away like bandits..... spend 10 minutes drilling bolts, charge me an hours labor....... and the car unfornately is still not running right, its running way too warm even with the radiator on almost as if the water/coolant isn't flowing like its supposed to. And they aren't open tomorrow. My $300 got my a car that isn't safe to drive until I get it looked at somewhere, and this is no project car. This is my girlfriend's daily driver/get to work car. grr

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Just to conclude this all..... 3 days and 300 bucks at the shop put a new water pump in there but still didn't fix it or make it driveable. The thermostat was stuck and they actually pulled the water pump and thermostat, and put the bad thermostat right back in, never thinking to replace it!! They never even flow-tested the system, or replaced the busted heater hose. They just taped it up. (im quite sure they couldnt have done a flow test because they would have found the stuck thermo
)
So I spent all day changing her oil (it was nasty from nearly overheating so much), bought a thermostat and swapped it in, and changed the heater hose, and replaced the busted clamps that the shop should have.
I'm gonna dispute the charge on my credit card asap so the shop does not get paid for what they did.

[Modified by Ponyboy Curtis, 12:56 AM 6-2-2002]

·
Registered
559 Posts

Were the bolts from the housing or the ones that bolt the housing to the block? If they were the small ones next time get the housing with the waterpump and there will be no bolt issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts