VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
fresh all motor VR rebuild. Hp estimates?

So, late last summer my car dropped a valve and that ****er went right through the head! The top end was destroyed with slight damage to the bottom end. I was just going to part the motor and find a new one, as the car is a 1999 and only had 100000 km on it (66000 miles). But I had trouble finding a decent motor so I set to rebuild mine. I bought a new head, had it port and polished, valve job, new lifters, autotech 262 cams, higher tension valve springs, cam chip, etc., the whole lot. I then had the cylinder block bored a few thou over and purchased oversized pistons and new forged con rods. I did the timing chains, mk4 head gasket, and everything else maintenance related as well as upgraded clutch and flywheel.

My goal was to build a solid, strong, mean sounding, naturally aspirated Vr6. I went with h&r ultra low coilovers and a neuspeed catback with breezy modded airbox to finish it off and make it solid handling and mean sounding. Still waiting to powder coat my wheels back to the original silver. The exterior has a fresh coat of paint last year, smoked side markers, turns and fogs, and shaved hatch spoiler. everything else is stock.

I am pretty proud as this was my first rebuild, but I am not new to the dub scene. She pulls pretty hard for what it is. Just wanted to rant on my newly finished ride. Still have a few electrical gremlins to work out though.

· Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good work. what was your final displacement? I'm a sucker for VR's and i love the black gti, just paint the center caps for the a's :)
2.9, not much but enough to have perfect cylinder walls and that's all I wanted :)

The a's are scheduled to get powdercoated back to the original silver. Just playing the waiting game.

· Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
smoked ecodes
french fogs? (always like yellow on black)

but mucho props for the rebuild and a nice looking car

what tails are on it?
I just found a great deal on a used set of smoked ecodes today so that is almost a done deal. As for the tails, they are the oem hella smoked. And thanks for the props :beer:

· Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lower it a half inch and put in some dummies.

Other than that, its pretty spot on when you get the wheels put back:thumbup:
I would go lower but is you saw edmonton roads you would probably tell me to raise it an inch. I originally had no spacers and had the wheels tucked, that was a nightmare here :banghead:

· Registered
1,862 Posts
this thing looks amazing dude :thumbup:

like leeds said, the smoked ecodes would look on point, when you get the wheels done, that'll be so sexy, and some all red tails would absolutely pop on this sucker.. just an idea though :p

· Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jetta front on golf :thumbdown:

jetta front thou :thumbup:

Don't even think of listening to the lower'rs, that height is PERFECT.

It seems like jetta fronts on a golf have become a huge fad over the last 4 years. I personally think the way you do.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.