VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Lotus Exige, Abarth 124 Spider, Fiat 500e
22,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by this thread: http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=3517245
I think Toyota could have a hit on their hands if they made a new MR2 coupe/cabrio with the requisite MR layout and decent storage capacity. A Solstice from "super-reliable" Toyota if you will, or perhaps even a cut-price Lotus. Yet even if the car didn't succeed in terms of profit margins, it would go a long way in establishing some enthusiast credibility for the Toyota brand. Even assuming a worst-case sales scenario, the MR2 would be a drop in the bucket for Toyota to produce.
But how would it look/how would you like it to look? What kind of powertrain options could Toyota throw in from its world empire?
Post up your chops.
I don't know how to use Photoshop, but the front end of this:

grafted onto this:

would look pretty good!

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Re: (Wimbledon)

To be honest, I always thought the last Celica looked like it was BEGGING to be FR like the original Celicas. It was all low and swoopy and awesome looking (shut up it was) and they stuck it with the peakiest, front-wheel-driviest drivetrain ever.
Man, a RWD, 3sgte version of that car would have owned.
alas.

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
Re: (jackboots)

Quote, originally posted by jackboots »
To be honest, I always thought the last Celica looked like it was BEGGING to be FR like the original Celicas. It was all low and swoopy and awesome looking (shut up it was) and they stuck it with the peakiest, front-wheel-driviest drivetrain ever.
alas.

i loved the engine in that car. 200 whp with bolt ons and PFC, revved up to nearly 9k rpm, sounded like a bike. rwd would have been nice, though.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Re: (jackboots)

Quote, originally posted by jackboots »
alas.

It was light too, getting close to 2500 lbs.
But the lucrative secretary market went after the 3rd-gen Eclipse instead, and as a result we get the heavier, softer, more luxurious Scion tC. Toyota knows what sells!
Taking the MR2 back to basics and producing a modern car that was basically as lightweight as the 1980s version didn't work, either.

·
Registered
15,515 Posts
Re: (GTI 20v)

Quote, originally posted by GTI 20v »
You mean a Cayman with a Camry nose? I'm going to have to go with no.

I'm going to have to go with a barf bag. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Premium Member
22,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (RogueTDI)

Quote, originally posted by RogueTDI »

I'm going to have to go with a barf bag. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

I don't think the look would be perfect but it's at least a start. What do you have in mind then?

·
Registered
'18 S4, '92 Miata Turbo, '94 Mustang GT, '03 Avalanche
3,290 Posts
Re: (Wimbledon)

It would be cool if Toyota resurrected the MR2... as long as it doesn't look like that.

·
Premium Member
22,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: A new Toyota MR2? (radroc)

Quote, originally posted by radroc »
There are talks of Toyota and Subaru building a MR sports car w/ a boxer engine.

Link?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.