VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
You big tease. I'm looking forward to more progress. :)
I wish there was more that felt like progress. We're all working 6 day weeks as it is trying to push 4 cars out by the end of May with only 4 guys in the shop full time. The up shot to that is the process of acquiring parts hasn't taken as long as I was expecting.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·

First package received from my spending spree last week. Ordered three of these, they sent one from one warehouse and the other two are coming from somewhere else. The pedal bracket which is also a Wilwood piece is apparently being shipped directly from Wilwood.

I figured I'd relay too that the place who said they had NOS rocker arms now says they're out which sucks. Suppose I should have jumped on that sooner, but had no inclination that there would be anyone else in the market for those.

·
Registered
35,220 Posts
Now THAT's a teaser!

Reactions: NashGTI

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

Finally a picture of the goofy intake side of the cylinder head with the intake off. The actual intake ports are the roughly square openings, the elongated openings below and between the intake ports is coolant that goes up through the factory intake manifold. There are vacuum ports either side of the intake ports, the port on the right has a line going to the vacuum advance on the carburetor (anyone's guess why they chose to go to the port that was farther away). The pipe adapter up at the front of the head that looks like a heater hose adapter is actually another passage that goes into the coolant passage in the intake manifold and then out to the radiator, the heater hose comes off the exhaust side of the engine.

It's really hard to hold the supercharger and get the phone far enough away to take a picture that makes much sense. The gist here though, this is ideally how I'd have the supercharger placed. Looking through things it would probably package better completely upside down but you lose the cool look of things if you do that. It requires relocating the alternator but that was already assumed to be the case. The vacuum advance line is obviously going away, manifold pressure gauge adapter going in it's place.

One of the great things about the Eaton is that the gear train is sealed so you can orient the thing however you want without worrying about it losing all it's lubrication. Just have to make sure all the associated plumbing will work, and ideally be close to equal length between the supercharger and intake ports. Barring that will have to do a log style with a good sized plenum between the ports to even out the flow. Need to get stuff built though to see exactly how much room I'll have.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
More parts in today. Also got the rear brake drums and rear brake hardware kit in but didn't see the point in taking a picture of them. Got heims in for the control arm mounts as well, but heims are heims in pictures and there is already a picture of heims. Carburetor and rear arm heims tomorrow probably?
Photograph Light Product Black Gauge
Drink Material property Gas Advertising Font
Rectangle Font Gas Signage Paint
Office supplies Gas Cylinder Automotive lighting Toy
Automotive tire Finger Glass bottle Font Tire
Hood Bumper Grille Wood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Gas Automotive wheel system Rim Circle Automotive tire
Shipping box Motor vehicle Engineering Cylinder Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Cylinder
Automotive tire Tire Automotive design Automotive exhaust Synthetic rubber
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Metal Machine

Got the metal in for the transfer case bypass yesterday and got some work done on it today. 5 hours later I managed to get the back part of the bypass done. Back flange is welded to the piece and the face trued on the lathe. The inside of the piece is machined to a nice slip fit to the output shaft housing.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·

Stayed late a couple nights this week to work on the transfer case bypass. Got the front plate that bolts to the transmission to where it bolts flush to the back of the transmission now and was able to mark the tube so that I can cut it down to length. Also noticed that I had enough metal left over to make header flanges. I haven't made them yet but I traced the gaskets out on the metal and that means they are practically done right?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Machine tool Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Gas Machine
Liquid Water Fluid Composite material Gas
Hood Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Got the transfer case bypass essentially done. Needs some clean up of the crappy looking welds of the filler piece that had to be cut out of the extension piece to clear the shifter housing. Everything bolts up and works beautifully though.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design Bumper

So now I've essentially got a rear wheel drive only Borg Warner T90a.
Also had my boy working on the header flanges while I was working on the bypass. Certainly isn't done or anything, but we got all the bolt holes drilled and have pilot holes drilled for all the ports.
Motor vehicle Bumper Hood Automotive exterior Automotive tire

Picture of it part way through day.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
20210427_185108.jpg
Got some boxes today, 4 identical wheel sized boxes. Most of them were even still closed.
20210427_185135.jpg
There wasn't anything visibly wrong with the wheels that I saw despite one box being completely open and another partially open other than my wheels that were supposed to be polished rims with primered center sections look an awful lot like bare steel center sections. After review, the bare centers are the same price as the primer centers, even after I ordered them I was thinking I should have got bare so I can powder coat the centers. So call that pleasantly surprised.
20210427_185817.jpg
On to the important bit, how well did this random collection of junk goes together. The answer is not that poorly but not perfect. The caliper and rotor and stuff appears to be fine. I was worried I'd have to trim down the outer circumference of the brake rotor to get the caliper inside the wheel but no issues there what so ever. The only bit of interference I can see oddly enough is the caliper slide pins hit the wheel.
20210427_190755_HDR.jpg
I tried to get a picture of it here but I don't know that you can really see anything. The pin sticks through the caliper way more than seems to be necessary and keeps the caliper from sliding out enough to get comfortable clearance from the pins to the rotor. Interesting in that I've never run into this as a problem in nearly 20 years of working on cars professionally.
20210427_190850.jpg
A view down with the wheel off, there really isn't too much for scale. The rotor is near as makes no difference to an inch thick, so without actually measuring I'm thinking that pin sticks through the caliper 3/8 of an inch which is entirely unnecessary. Easy fix though just trim the pin down. I did unthread the pins from the caliper brackets a bit to see how far I could slide the caliper out before it hits the wheel and I can get a 1/4 to 5/16 of an inch between the pins and the rotor before the caliper hits the wheel which is more than enough .

So, keeping track:
15x6 Hot Rod wheel with 3.5 inch back spacing
1996 Chevrolet Caprice brake caliper
GM disc brake conversion caliper bracket that is for who knows what
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee hub and rotor

And it all just kid of works.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Car Window Motor vehicle Vehicle Head restraint
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive design
Computer Output device Computer monitor Personal computer Computer keyboard
Wood Machine tool Gas Engineering Tool

Back from the dead, finally have something worthy of reporting. Loaded up most of the parts in my garage and took them to the shop the car is going to get built at. The wheels and tires are still in my home garage, I ordered powder to coat the wheels today and fabric for the seat cover when it's time for that, so there's no reason to take the wheels and tires to one shop only to take them across the street to the other shop to do the powder coating and tire mounting. Also the rear axle is still sitting at the shop I work at so I need to get that across the street to the "hobby shop" where everything else is but stuff is coming together under a single roof now so progress seems closer.

It was a short day as the guy with the key needed to bail at noon. There was talk of starting to bend the main frame beams but in the end it was decided to simply go over the drawings I've done and the parts I had. Then the other guy, a regular coworker of mine Corey, started transferring my drawings into a CAD program. We did take a scrap piece of inch and a half tubing and did a test bend with it to check where we need to set the bender up to get them in the correct place on the frame tube.

The guys were planning on building something else on their jig table Monday night so I told him it made no sense to start laying my car out on the table this morning only to have to move everything this afternoon. Also made the point that if we went over all of my drawings and the parts there it would give him a chance to think on the project as a whole and come up with things I haven't yet thought of. So that's where we are at for now.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
The powder for the wheels came in today. I hadn't driven my Catalina in while and the boss is in Florida for the week so I can actually park in the parking lot without complaint so I loaded up the wheels and tires and took them in to work. It was slightly disappointing that I could only fit the four wheels and three tires in the trunk of the Pontiac and had to stick the fourth tire behind the seat. They just don't give you trunk space in cars anymore.
20210622_180513.jpg
Cleaning the oil and scuffing the wheels, an hour and a half of it. Not the most intellectually stimulating of exercises.
20210622_180652.jpg 20210622_180655.jpg
Test panel for the wheel color. I liked the color, but like a moron despite having the fabric sample for the seats in my hand while loading the wheels I didn't actually bring it to work with me.
20210622_184425.jpg
Wheels all scuffed and cleaned. Hopefully they'll get coated tomorrow, should be easy enough to accomplish.
20210622_184439.jpg
Our spray cabinet and oven set up for powder coating. Only big enough for one wheel at a time but it works.

20210622_193441_HDR.jpg

Brought the test panel home to compare it to the fabric sample and I am well pleased. Trying to match the one to the other when it's using different websites pictures on completely different materials. So get the wheels coated tomorrow and then mount and balance the tires tomorrow night.

·
Registered
46,528 Posts
Well from where I'm sitting that's a pretty damn good match even without the circumstances. With them it's amazing! Now separate them by a couple of feet (as it'll be in the car) and you won't be able to tell a difference at all. It's only the immediate proximity that allows us to discern what little difference there is.(y)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Got the wheels powder coated yesterday and really happy with the color. Had to open the valve stem hole up in order to get the bolt in valve stems in. That was the easy bit it turns out.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Floor Material property
White Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

The way the tires were wrapped for shipping they were crushed in so badly I couldn't get anything to actual seat on the wheels last night and had to give up as my folks came to town and wanted to go out to eat.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Yeah......that's supposed to go on a 6 inch wide wheel. Enter the boards.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Synthetic rubber

Let them sit over the night to try and stretch the sidewalls back open. Getting that done I went in to work early this morning to give it another try.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Black

That was the first one I actually got mounted. Even after that one went on I couldn't get the others on just yet but by that point the sun was out in force and I just set the tires out in the sun to soften up and finally was able to get them all mounted and balanced.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

All four mounted and balanced, I do still miss the idea of the 19 inch wire Model A wheels but I dig this look too. I received the seat material today too but sitting here haven't actually opened it up to even make sure it's correct yet.

41 - 60 of 136 Posts