VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very cool project!! I'm a Tornado and AMC guy so I don't really belong here, but why not with this thread.

I have a thread going on over on the Willys Forum where we have compiled as much info as possible on the Tornado:

There is some cam info and other stuff, and some links to some fast Argentinean stuff. These things can make some pretty massive power - here are some hilites:

And this is a little related to your project:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Hand tool Wood Motor vehicle Metalworking hand tool Bumper

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Hubcap

Automotive tire Tread Wood Floor Engineering

Automotive tire Snake Flooring Wood Floor

Spindles done (essentially) and the arm mounts for the rear axle welded together. Don't have the outer tie rod ends yet to know what to tap the steering arm holes in the spindles but everything else is done.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Very cool project!! I'm a Tornado and AMC guy so I don't really belong here, but why not with this thread.

I have a thread going on over on the Willys Forum where we have compiled as much info as possible on the Tornado:

There is some cam info and other stuff, and some links to some fast Argentinean stuff. These things can make some pretty massive power - here are some hilites:

And this is a little related to your project:

At the end of the link it's stated that someone was running just over 6 seconds in the 1/8 which would equal about 9 seconds in the quarter. That's really stepping out for an I6 but I don't see how you could do that with an under square engine like this: I'd Love to see a tear down of That particular engine.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
At the end of the link it's stated that someone was running just over 6 seconds in the 1/8 which would equal about 9 seconds in the quarter. That's really stepping out for an I6 but I don't see how you could do that with an under square engine like this: I'd Love to see a tear down of That particular engine.
Boost and gearing. I've seen diesel trucks do close to that so RPM isn't necessarily a limitation.

Video version of looking at the spindles

It's cool to see this thread traveling too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have not been able to find much detail. Of course not understanding Spanish does not help. There are a few videos claiming big power Tornados (one 1000!!); makes you wonder. I am always a little skeptical of claimed hp numbers because there is so much BS out there, but Dodaros car seems to back it up. There is a video showing 739 RWHP, and the car certainly is fast. It is the later 7 main bearing block for sure. Bet he has paid a lot of dues making that much power. Love to know how many transmissions he broke, and what the fast setup is - think there is a transbrake there.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
If the Renaults were making 250 normally aspirated on a 4 main bottom end 750 on a boosted drag racing specific engine doesn't seem far fetched at all. Especially with the actual 6 intake port head. It does make you wonder though if they changed the block castings to incorporate a more modern bell housing flange. Wish I had that kind of money to drop on this thing......or even half that kind of money.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
If the Renaults were making 250 normally aspirated on a 4 main bottom end 750 on a boosted drag racing specific engine doesn't seem far fetched at all. Especially with the actual 6 intake port head. It does make you wonder though if they changed the block castings to incorporate a more modern bell housing flange. Wish I had that kind of money to drop on this thing......or even half that kind of money.
Interesting: if they Had changed the casting, what sort of trannies do you figure that they'd be running?

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's hard to tell from pictures, but I think the back of the block stayed the same. I've tracked a huge amount of "evolutionary" changes with the big ones the 7 mains and a redesigned cam system.

There are several horribly heavy cast iron bellhousing options that bolt on, just not common. The Wagoneers did use a BW automatic. The 226 bellhousing also fits. They had some kind of 4 speed in the Torinos; probably something European. I expect IKA just cast a bellhousing to suit. Wondering if Dodaro adapted some kind of conventional automatic to go that fast.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Interesting: if they Had changed the casting, what sort of trannies do you figure that they'd be running?
Once you go through the trouble of changing the back of the block, or even just making a custom bell housing the world is your oyster for transmissions. Given the eventual Frenchness of IKA Renault I like to think they specifically changed the engine block to be able to run a pre-selecter gearbox, though that is unsubstantiated.

It's hard to tell from pictures, but I think the back of the block stayed the same. I've tracked a huge amount of "evolutionary" changes with the big ones the 7 mains and a redesigned cam system.

There are several horribly heavy cast iron bellhousing options that bolt on, just not common. The Wagoneers did use a BW automatic. The 226 bellhousing also fits. They had some kind of 4 speed in the Torinos; probably something European. I expect IKA just cast a bellhousing to suit. Wondering if Dodaro adapted some kind of conventional automatic to go that fast.
I haven't seen any pictures of just the 7 bearing blocks. It's interesting to think that by that point basically everything about the engine (block, head,crank,cam system) could have been changed without changing away from the tractor bell housing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is the best 7 main block picture I have. Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like they kept a similar bellhousing.

Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas

I think the block was an evolution. Here is a picture of an M715 block, and you can see the provisions for the mid engine mounts they used in Argentina as well as the M715 mounts

Wood Trunk Art Gas Artifact

And this application is pretty cool:

Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Fuel tank Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
So that is the Berta SP according to things, a prototype racer from around 1970. Same chassis as the on car video above from the looks of things. There are several things online to read or watch about it if you speak Spanish, which I don't. I will say there are a couple other pictures and it looks like a stock block with the triple Weber head. I was thinking upon first seeing the above picture that it looked like it may have a blower too, but seeing other pictures it's just a weird manifold for the air intake. One thing of interest though is that what looks to be a magneto on the back of the valve cover up there doesn't seem to appear in any other pictures or videos. It's certainly an interesting set up, but I can't imagine trying to base a serious prototype racing effort off of this engine. Then again I'm not an Argentinian in 1970 so it probably made more sense to them then.

That picture of the 7 main block makes it pretty clear they kept the original bell housing design. I was giving more thought today while working on a Bronco about a way to make a new bell housing. It just so happens that we have a spare NV3550 laying around now which could in theory be put to good use in this car as we don't really have anything else we're intending to do with it and it's highly unlikely the owner of the vehicle it came out of has any interest in it. That may well be a fools errand at this point though.

Tool Wood Engineering Metal Auto part

Assembled the steering rack mounts tonight, should be able to get them welded onto the cross member tomorrow night now.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Here is the best 7 main block picture I have. Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like they kept a similar bellhousing.

View attachment 136971

I think the block was an evolution. Here is a picture of an M715 block, and you can see the provisions for the mid engine mounts they used in Argentina as well as the M715 mounts

View attachment 136974

And this application is pretty cool:

View attachment 136970
I can't quite make it out from the angle that the photo was taken but that mag unit has a red splash on its base that looks a little like the old Mallory logo from the sixties and seventies, which was different from todays logo. I guess that they might have used an off the shelf item and modified it rather than build one from scratch? On the other hand it doesn't seem to be in the dyno video, so what was the point?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe the bodied car has a dry sump system, and if they don't use a stock oil pump they don't have a distributor drive. So move the distributor drive to the end of the cam. Just a guess.

Also cool the engine seems to be a stressed member of the chassis in 1970. You are not doing that with the plate supported engine. That Berta guy seems to have been fairly cutting edge!

121 - 136 of 136 Posts