VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so last month I went to Netherlands to visit the in-laws for 2 weeks, I finally had the chance to upload the pix we took when we visited the 'ring, hope you guys don't mind me sharing the experience
We left Schiedam, 30mins south of Amsterdam 6 in the morning, and what you must have in order to last the 4hr drive.

the car that could, a Golf 1.6FSI 6spd

the damn border that I was dissapointed with, lack of border control, lack of Polizei cracking German joke with me while cavity searching.

we went pass Koln then towards Nurburg, got tired of the Autobahn (to be honest, driving constantly at 210km/h can be somewhat tiring when you rev at 6000rpm)

the road going to Nurburg from Balkhausen was extremely beautiful, its all in the valleys and speed limit was "suggested" at 50km/h thru town, 70km/h within town range, 90km/h outside of town.

right by the Nordschleife

at the parking lot for museum/ticket purchasing, one of the "rat-style" fellow from Netherland

in front of the ticket office

the only thing that matters, at this point the wife has grown irritated by my impatience with going to the track, thus we quickly went to the gate.

since I had no patience to park the car in the famous parking lots, just quickly took some pix. In this pic, you can see Zonda's test pit, behind that damn Ford.

]

ACS m3 test mule, with rev limiter at 9100rpm, it chased a yellow GT3 RS around the track in furry, which I've caught on film

couple turbo'd R32s

a Brabus Smart ForFour, and there was a baby waving at us

and the gate opens

** note, I've uploaded a few clips on Google, but I cannot get some of 'em to sit right side up
this is the part where the M3 flew by with the 997
http://video.google.ca/videopl...en-CA

after we were done with our laps (the fact the brakes were non-existence also forced us to stop), surprisingly, our tires were not bad, this is one part I gotta give to the Dutch (well, most). Our rental car came with Continental SportContact 2, 205/55/16 v rated, as I paid more attention, almost all cars I've saw in Netherlands had extremely good tires, which made sense with all the rain they receive.
After, we browse the museum then the camera died, also didn't help that a serious accident happened which forced the track to be closed down for cleaning body parts.

on the way back home, we stopped by Massteritch for dinner, the gas price was 1.48 euro per L, our car avg 6.6L/100km incld about 100km abuse at the ring, each tank lasts 700-900km, and the car hauled ass for a 1.6. I would definetly buy a 1.6FSI if they ever offered such a model in Canada.
After we had driven the ring, we sat at the parking lot where it over looks Nordschleif. We asked ourselves, were the experience note-worthy? did it lived up to our expectaction, answer were: yes, and no.
why we said no? cause imagine everything u'd imagined multiplies by 100, then that's the result, even to this day, we watched our videos and we still get goosebumps, the track itself was more than challenging even for my wife, whom has done much more tracking than I, in a Golf 1.6FSI. 22km, more than 100m in elevation change, most memorable part was the straight with the dip I believe was a the 5km mark, it made our ears popped, then suddenly a right turn, its no wonder even Michael Schumacher said (quoted from the museum): "you don't memorize the track by turns, you just drive". After the lap, your body would shake and shiver, then realize what an amazing thing you've just done. It was simply AMAZING!
also, notes for ppl want to rent cars to go to the Ring, there are track prep'd cars for rental, they are absolutely worth the money if you are only going to Germany for that purpose, cause German rental companies pay bounty to the Ring for spotting German rentals. I had taped up any visible bar-marks on our car before entering the town, also note, if you are coming from other part of Western Europe, you are fine, and rental was relatively cheap, our rental was $400 Cdn for 12 days, 300km per day, insurance everything incld.
since I'm a fat ass, I enjoyed Dutch pasteries and coffee, not to mention the damn tobacco there is so much better than the crappy tobbaco we got here.
this, is a pancake, Dutch pancake, its salty, u can have anything on it, usually with either ham, cheese, bacon, fruits, veggies, or all, and it tastes blooody amazing.

and Dutch pasteries can kill you.

and the Germans LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE their big German cars with big engines.

·
Banned
10,901 Posts
Re: A photo journey to Nurburgring (InfraRedline)

What is this?

I had a Dutch pancake in Delft last summer, it was odd, more like a pizza than a pancake. Your sooo right about the tobacco.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: A photo journey to Nurburgring (patrickvr6)

Quote, originally posted by patrickvr6 »
What is this?
I had a Dutch pancake in Delft last summer, it was odd, more like a pizza than a pancake. Your sooo right about the tobacco.

Alpine something, I forgot, but it weighted like 700kg.
I love Delft, my sister in law lives in Delft and good lord I love the beer, the fries, all the deep fried stuff, and tobacco.

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
22 Frontier 16 A8 15 S8 88 16v Scirocco
18,096 Posts
Re: A photo journey to Nurburgring (TheMadChigga)

Quote, originally posted by TheMadChigga »

ACS m3 test mule, with rev limiter at 9100rpm, it chased a yellow GT3 RS around the track in furry, which I've caught on film

and this is where.................????????????????????????

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Well done. Brings back memories of me and my buddy doing the same thing in a similar golf but with a 1.4L. We could only get it to 190kph. I agree with you. I was excited driving it, but it left me kind of down as that track needs to be experienced with a proper car not a rental golf. I was trying to stay out of the way of porsches and bmw's. You're right about the ears popping on that one dip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.