VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I looked around forever and the only A-Pillar pod I found for the MKIII GTI was the Autometer, I got the 2 gauge pod, it comes a black color which says it's paintable.

Does anyone know of a paint thats a similar match to our grey plastic? I tried the dupli-color interior grey and it's way too dark, everything else seems to have a metallic.

I found grey primer is closer but it just looks like hell.

What has everyone else done that is using an A-Pillar pod, and also for install, did you have to mount it with screws etc?

Input is greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

· Registered
244 Posts
I'm not sure about color, but I would stay away from paint on any interior plastic if you can help it IMO. It generally fades and cracks from sun exposure given enough time. Using a spray on dye like

http://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-Performance-Vinyl-Fabric-Spray/dp/B000BPBUXK

tends to hold up better in the long run. I'm not saying that there aren't paints that work well on auto interior applications, but they need to be UV stable and flexible to hold up to thermal expansion from heat. The fabric dye stays flexible.

Good luck:beer:

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Charmander, your post would be more constructive if you offered a solution of a gauge pod that DOESN'T look like ****.

It's not my favorite choice either, but I'm not removing the stereo head unit, and I've got a guage next to it already, and I think the New South steering column mount looks ****ty so, what's left?

Thanks @HumblePi, I got that same paint, but the grey they make is way darker than the stock VW interior color.

@Sallad, I wish I could make my own, I don't like any of the options out there haha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.