VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried the suggested methods of getting the rear brakes to adjust themselves today..
The net result? A squeaky brake pedal. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

· Registered
421 Posts
Re: A pox on Volkswagen's drum brakes! (Ian!)

You try reversing with the handbrake up? Maybe it went too far and needs to be moved forward some. Might try pulling the ebrake when going about 30-35 mph for a second. Don't let the wheels lock for too long or your back end will swing around and you'll lose control of the car.

· Registered
2,973 Posts
Re: A pox on Volkswagen's drum brakes! (gregom)

Quote, originally posted by gregom »
Don't let the wheels lock for too long or your back end will swing around and you'll lose control of the car.

That's actually the best use of the handbrake... no?

· Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: A pox on Volkswagen's drum brakes! (gregom)

Quote, originally posted by gregom »
You try reversing with the handbrake up? Maybe it went too far and needs to be moved forward some. Might try pulling the ebrake when going about 30-35 mph for a second.

Done it all.. Got up to 50 with the brake still pulled up and zero result.

· Registered
132 Posts
The rear brakes are adjusted out automatically when you first step on the pedal after you have forced the adjusting wedge up to get the drum off. If you have no pedal with new shoes maybe the wedge is not in place or incorrectly installed. Look thru the peephole and see if the wedge has settled into its proper location on both sides.

· Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: A pox on Volkswagen's drum brakes! (Zyzzyan)

Quote, originally posted by Zyzzyan »
what do you mean by "squeaky brake pedel"?

Exactly what it sounds like. The pedal squeaks sometimes when you step on it now.

· Registered
373 Posts
Re: A pox on Volkswagen's drum brakes! (Ian!)

You look at your linkage under the dash, or am I not understanding where you get the "squeek" from, Ian?
I'm guessing the rear brakes, so let me go there: the wheel cylinder(s)could be not releasing all the way, or the springs could be shot that move the shoes back and forth, how does it look under the drum?

· Banned
4,310 Posts
Re: A pox on Volkswagen's drum brakes! (100HP1.8)

Quote, originally posted by 100HP1.8 »
You look at your linkage under the dash, or am I not understanding where you get the "squeek" from, Ian?
I'm guessing the rear brakes, so let me go there: the wheel cylinder(s)could be not releasing all the way, or the springs could be shot that move the shoes back and forth, how does it look under the drum?

Second that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.