VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i was wondering what kind of oil you guys use on your TD or TDI's. i have a '93 TD with 245 xxx kms running with Castrol Synthetic 5w50. do you guys have something else in mind thats better for my engine or is it good enough?

· Registered
28,732 Posts
Re: A question about Oil (dieseldorf)

Quote »
Is the 5W50 diesel rated?

It may have some diesel ratings, but, more importantly, do the ratings (and viscosity grade) match those specified for the engine?

· Registered
356 Posts
Re: A question about Oil (AcesHigh)

That's the oil I used when I had my 1992 Jetta TD. Never had any problems with it....It was the synthetic oil my VW dealer had in 210 Litres barrels
In the end I was getting that oil at Costco in 6 pack cases

· Registered
1,686 Posts
Re: A question about Oil (tjl)

It's sort of "OK". I still would try to located something else when available.
Quote, originally posted by castrol usa »

SAE 5W-50:
Provides the widest range of protection available. SAE 5W-50 delivers exceptional cold temperature pumpability for rapid oil circulation at start-up and provides a thick oil film for ultimate wear protection. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SM, SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; Ford WSS-M2C931-A and the engine protection requirements of GM 4718M, ILSAC GF-4 for API Certified Gasoline Engines

· Registered
1,686 Posts
Re: (AcesHigh)

Do you really need an xW-50 weight oil? A xW-40 will be a better solution for your local climate.
There are many excellent oils available in Ca. Many just stick with the Delvac 1 5W40 to keep things simple and you may get a slight boost in fuel economy.

· Registered
5,136 Posts

Quote, originally posted by AcesHigh »
hey i was wondering what kind of oil you guys use on your TD or TDI's. i have a '93 TD with 245 xxx kms running with Castrol Synthetic 5w50. do you guys have something else in mind thats better for my engine or is it good enough?

I use Amsoil AME 15w-40 (full synthetic) in my 91 1.6D with 252k miles (406k kms).
VW originally recommended 15w-40 and 20w-50 for their IDI engines. A 5w-50 oil is good for temps well below zero and up to temps well above 100F. A true "one viscosity for all climates" oil.

· Registered
990 Posts
Re: A question about Oil (TexasVWdriver)

Quote, originally posted by TexasVWdriver »
A 5w-50 oil is good for temps well below zero and up to temps well above 100F. A true "one viscosity for all climates" oil.

i thought in texas you had to use Amsoil 15w-40 ?
now it has changed to the new oil offered by Amsoil
when it has been stated in this forum about using a 5w-40 oil we were instructed not to. (i guess because amsoil didnt make any, and never would according to amsoil rep.)

· Registered
493 Posts

For the last year, I was using Esso's XD-3 0w40 oil... diesel rated, full synthetic, group 4. Had really good results with it. I was usually buying at Wal-Mart for $21.96 for 4 L... a steal if you ask me, when Delvac-1 is over $30.00

· Registered
5,136 Posts
Re: A question about Oil (FrankVW)

Quote, originally posted by FrankVW »
i thought in Texas you had to use Amsoil 15w-40 ?
now it has changed to the new oil offered by Amsoil
when it has been stated in this forum about using a 5w-40 oil we were instructed not to. (i guess because amsoil didn't make any, and never would according to amsoil rep.)

NO, I never said you HAD to use 15w-40 in Texas. And you know that. You know what I have said in the past. That a 15w-40 oil CAN be used in hot climates with mild winters, like Texas.
NO, I never said NOT to use 5w-40, either.
NO, I never said Amsoil WOULDN'T make a 5w-40 oil. I said they PROBABLY wouldn't. Mainly because when asked why they didn't offer a 5w-40, their response was that their HDD Series 3000 5w-30 was an excellent substitute for a 5w-40 oil. I can only assume Amsoil started to offer a 5w-40 merely to stay in competition with other oil manufacturers, once 5w-40 became a popular viscosity of choice.
Get a life Frank. And stop putting words into my mouth and twisting the truth to fit your agenda. I'm sick and tired of your LIES. And your continuing effort to try, yet never succeeding in, discrediting me.
No doubt you live in NH. You act just like all the other left-wing zealots from your state.

· Registered
990 Posts

NO, I never said Amsoil WOULDN'T make a 5w-40 oil. I said they PROBABLY wouldn't. Mainly because when asked why they didn't offer a 5w-40, their response was that their HDD Series 3000 5w-30 was an excellent substitute for a 5w-40 oil. I can only assume Amsoil started to offer a 5w-40 merely to stay in competition with other oil manufacturers, once 5w-40 became a popular viscosity of choice. :

if they are serious about competing then why don't they get their products certified like the competition does (unless u r putting words in their mouths)
also why don't they sell the products in a regular store like the competitors

besides 15w-40 clogs the oil rings in a TDi due to the lack of proper oil cooling because its too thick..

· Registered
5,136 Posts
Re: A question about Oil (FrankVW)

Quote, originally posted by FrankVW »
if they are serious about competing then why don't they get their products certified like the competition does

Some products are API certified. The ones with less ZDDP (phosphorus). The ones that can only go 6 months / 7500 miles.
The ones that can go 12 months / 25,000 miles have too much ZDDP to meet API standards. The API worries that too much ZDDP in the exhaust gases could poison the catalytic converter. But what the API doesn't take into account is that oils with a very low NOACK number, like Amsoil, will have very little oil burnoff. Which means very little ZDDP in the exhaust gases.
Amsoil has been trying to get the API to wake up and realize the errors in their certification tests. But to no avail.
And I'm quite sure it has nothing to do with the big oil companies, like Exxon, virtually owning API. Right?

Quote »
also why don't they sell the products in a regular store like the competitors

If Amsoil did that, it would hurt us independent dealers. Company policy is Amsoil products can't be offered in a store chain with more than 12 total stores.
BTW - there's a great article about Amsoil in the Sept issue of Lubes 'n' Greases magazine. In an interview with Amsoil's founder, Al Amatuzio, he states that at one time Amsoil did try to have their products sold at Wal-Mart. But, in order to protect us independent dealers, Amsoil wanted to sell their oil under a different name. Wal-Mart wouldn't agree, so Amsoil walked away. quote - "We turned down a potentially $40 million account." - unquote
Quote »
besides 15w-40 clogs the oil rings in a TDi due to the lack of proper oil cooling because its too thick..

Care to provide some PROOF for this claim?

My UOA's, as well as other UOA's, have shown NO problems using a full synthetic 15w-40 in hot climates.
I have PROOF. Where's YOUR proof???

Modified by TexasVWdriver at 7:35 PM 9-13-2005

· Registered
990 Posts

Some products are API certified.

SOME???

Quote »
The API worries that too much ZDDP in the exhaust gases could poison the catalytic converter. But what the API doesn't take into account is that oils with a very low NOACK number, like Amsoil, will have very little oil burnoff.
Amsoil has been trying to get the API to wake up and realize the errors in their certification tests. But to no avail.

The earth is flat too

Quote »

If Amsoil did that, it would hurt us independent dealers. Company policy is Amsoil products can't be offered in a store chain with more than 12 total stores.
quote - "We turned down a potentially $40 million account." - unquote

it must be me... i just think there is alot more volume selling in a store...
maybe Mobil should switch to independant dealers and make more $$
if they did I bet the stock holders would sell the stock..

then again Amsoil doesn't have to be concerned over stock holders because they have none.
I prefer to have a bona fide oil company behind the guarantee of the oil I buy.

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (DanSycks)

Quote, originally posted by DanSycks »
Mobile 1 truck and SUV. Buy it by the gallon and never look back.

this is what i was thinking of buying today, but wasnt sure. anyone ever used it? what about motul?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.