VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday afternoon I stopped by my local dealership and drove an R32. What an amazing car! My God was it fast!

Anyhow...my question is... is it truely worth the almost $30K? I mean..overall..after the newness wears off? I am impressed enough that I will probably be back in the next week or so to pick one up but.. I just wanted to make sure from those of you who already have them sitting in their garages. I appreciate it!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

-Michael

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Re: A Question For Existing R32 Owners.....? (H2o_TRBO_GTi)

Short answer: Yep.
Long answer: Yep.
From my point of view, it's totally worth it. My previous car was a '99.5 (Mk4) GTI VR6. It didn't have a lot of the updated stuff that newer model years come with standard, such as larger brakes, 17" wheels, nicer trim, seats, gauges, transmission, etc. My old GTI didn't even have ESP/ASR/EDL. So in my eyes, it was a great deal when compared to my old car. Everything the R32 has is what I wanted to do with my old car, but I knew it would be too expensive, especially if I considered a 6-sp/4-Motion conversion. No way could I have afforded that.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Seems to be a question that is asked continually. My V6 in the UK cost more than I paid for my R32; absolute bargain if you ask me!!!! All I've heard over here is how expensive the R32 is, yet in the UK it's seen as a great value for money.

·
Registered
165 Posts

Well worth it. There's nothing in the $ range that can offer the combination of qualities. The 'honeymoon' period has worn off, but I still take the long way home from work every day.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re: A Question For Existing R32 Owners.....? (mark_R32_UK)

Yes, at UK prices somewhere around $46,000 right now. I know someone there who just paid 26,000 UKP for a used one.
Colin

·
Registered
50 Posts
Re: A Question For Existing R32 Owners.....? (blackmagic333)

Exactly, I knew someone who paid a similar amount. Admittedly they had a few extras not available in the US, but even so relatively speaking I think $30K is well worth it. Not looking forward to the day I go back and have to resort to paying sky high prices again, not just for cars, but gas as well!!!!!

·
Registered
385 Posts

I have allmost 6k on the clock and still love the car - In the last few years I have had 2 Porsches, 2 Audis, 1 VW(Passat) 1 Suburban, 3 Jeeps. Currently in my driveway I have the R32, a Miata, Grand Cherokee, MR-2, Corolla, Celica, and a Bounder. The R is a fine GT automobile - very fun to drive and to live with as a daily driver! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
370 Posts

Quote, originally posted by H2o_TRBO_GTi »
So yesterday afternoon I stopped by my local dealership and drove an R32. What an amazing car! My God was it fast!

Anyhow...my question is... is it truely worth the almost $30K? I mean..overall..after the newness wears off?

-Michael

The "newness" may wear off, but the appreciation just grows and grows. For $29,100, it's very difficult to find so much of everything in one car that you can live with day after day. On top of all the performance and comfort, if you would also like hatchback convenience, there is absolutely nothing else out there.
There have been a lot of folks gripping about a $30K VW - probably to see if they can get under R32 owner's skin??? They're either playing games or they just don't get it. I once started a counter-thread: "Is $30,000 Really Worth an R32?" (My opinion? No, it's not.
)
If you can get past the idea of a VW Golf family look, which can be a hangup for some folks, you will come to appreciate it as the Audi TT 3.2 with the utility and comfort of a hatchback body. I've always thought the GTIs look pretty good, so this wasn't much of a leap for me. If you don't know much about Audi TTs, you'll probably just be amazed at what a driving machine this is. The R32 package is a comparative bargain at $30K, and costs much more in other countries. So, no, $30K isn't worth an R32! On top of that, it seems to me that most buyers are paying MSRP or less (before tax, etc.).
The June Road & Track test does a great job discussing what's special about this car and should help you feel more comfortable about not becoming brainwashed by overly enthusiastic owners. Also, check MotorTrend and Car&Driver (May).
If your instincts tell you that your test drive feelings are what you're looking for, and if you can afford it, just go with it. The R32 won't let you down; it gets better as the car breaks in and as you become more familiar with it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Re: A Question For Existing R32 Owners.....? (R(ed)32)

ah, yep
came from a moded MKIII VR6 and I thought I'd miss that car..... what car?
R32 IS worth it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

go price out a comprable v6 bmw or v6 audi and the ask that same question....
here's a sneak peak...
330i $40+k
tt 3.2 $40+k
a4 3.0 $36+k and slower than the 3.2
vw R32 $30k barely and got everything you've ever wanted in a car and it's a hatchback so you can put stuff in it...
I think it's worth every penny of the $30k.... and then you realize it's AWD and you can really ripp in the rain...

quick, great handling, great interior, brakes to die for, awesome seats and the exhaust is sex to the ears.... not to mention it looks far better than the new mk5 pics i have seen... nuff said...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Re: A Question For Existing R32 Owners.....? (BlueNJ.:R32)

oh and i have over 10,000 miles on the clock and i still smile every time i start up the car and yes i still take the long way home from work even with gas prices where they are today.... you won't regret it...

·
Registered
957 Posts

Anyhow...my question is... is it truely worth the almost $30K? I mean..overall..after the newness wears off? I am impressed enough that I will probably be back in the next week or so to pick one up but.. I just wanted to make sure from those of you who already have them sitting in their garages. I appreciate it!

-Michael

It is a niche play. There are plenty of good cars in this price range. And if having a sexy looking car is really important to you, say like a 350Z, then after a while you may have buyer's remorse.
But if you like to drive ... enjoy running up and down through the gears, keeping your window open to listen to the sounds of the engine (we're famous for that), powering through a wet corner amazed by how high the limits are and testing them yet again. Finding out just how awesome those brakes really are. And doing it all over again ... you just might be a candidate for the R32.
You'll adapt to the power quickly. But the balance, the way the whole package works together is a more durable pleasure. I actually enjoy driving it at regular speeds!
On the negative side, the backseat is small, durability is VW-like (for good or ill) and it is no economy car -- expect 20 - 24 mpg depending on where you drive.
In short, I bought one in April and I'd buy it again -- hmmm, maybe a silver one this time
Worth it.
DC

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

-Michael
It is truly the finest VW I have ever owned, and I have owned several.
No buyers remorse here. I'd buy this car again in a heartbeat. I don't think there will be many issues with this car. The A4 platform has been around since '98 so the bugs have been worked out. Same with the VR6 engine. The only thing new is the Haldex unit, and so far no problems reported there. I love my R. BTW 4300 miles on the clock.
larry

·
Registered
650 Posts
Re: A Question For Existing R32 Owners.....? (vwaudienthusiast)

Been driving GTI's since they came to the states in '83 and this is the epitomy of the evolution.
Peace

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Re: A Question For Existing R32 Owners.....? (vwaudienthusiast)

Quote, originally posted by vwaudienthusiast »
The 6-speed transmission is also new in the R32.

Negative!
I had a couple VR6 GTI demos ('03s), both equipped with the 6 speed trans.
The New Beetle also has it .
larry

Modified by ljhooley at 3:32 AM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
997 Posts
Re: A Question For Existing R32 Owners.....? (dqr32)

yes it's worth it.
On my short trek home from work, there are two really nice enduring curves. They're not sharp corners, but rather wide U's that seem to never end. I grinned from ear to ear on each of those. The car handles them with such finesse that it's downright stunning! The wife and I lcould not stop laughing the duration of the drive home.
Amazing machine! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 39 Posts