VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly is a DownPipe and where in the engine is it.
I know I should really know this, but if I can't look dumb in front of my friends then who can I look dumb in front of hehe.
I recently heard two friends with the same 1.8 engine and the first had a DP and the other had a stock engine and the first had a much deeper sound with the same remus exhaust.

Thanks a lot guys,
George

[Modified by gjacob, 2:03 AM 12-5-2001]

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: A really stupid question (hey I haven't done this in a while hehe)... (gjacob)

and is there a difference between a midpipe and a down pipe (because the second guy had a TDI midpipe, but no down pipe and the first had the stock midpipe)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Re: A really stupid question (gjacob)

This is a really interesting question......
Sorry I can't help but I wanna know too........

Free bump

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Re: A really stupid question (hey I haven't done this in a while hehe)... (gjacob)

This may be a stupid answer as I'm not one of the recognized gurus here...
The downpipe is the exhaust pipe from the turbo to the catalytic converter. It has sort of a gentle 'S' shape to it. Stock is roughly 2¼" dia. I think, you can get them in 2½" and 3" dia. The mid pipe is located between the cat and muffler. The TDI has no reosnator, whereas the 1.8T (VR6 also?) does.
HTH

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: A really stupid question (Bryan S)

Thanks a lot. That makes perfect sense.
That's why people are switching to the TDI midpipe I guess. To get rid of the resinator (I'm not totally sure what removing it does, but know that a lot of people do it).

Thanks,
George

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

yeah what does removing the resonator do?, make it sound better? less restrictive?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Re: A really stupid question (swmacneil)

I would think it makes its less restrictive.........correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Re: A really stupid question (swmacneil)

I have the TDI midpipe... i might even actually be the person George is talking about...

Anyways, using the TDI midpipe adds a bit more sound, some midrange torque, and less weight.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yup that's you nate.
Did you notice the difference cuz of his(deception's) downpipe even though he had the stock resinator (I think). It was quite loud. I would have assumed that yours (and mine)would have been the more growling of the two.
What do you think...

·
Registered
3,592 Posts

I'm 99% sure that Jason does not have a resonator... I believe his custom fabricated pipe goes all the way to the cat.
And the universals will always be louder than the model specific which I have.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

oh cool. Thanks nate and everyone.
Later,
George

1 - 11 of 11 Posts