VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
poor S8's been parked in the shop since X-mas, been busy and the car developed the classic vw/audi "random misfire" code with no time to dig into it . Today the S8 got 2 new Bosch throttle bodies installed along with rewiring cylinder 5 and 10's coil pack plug. the misfire codes are only on 5 and 10 so if the new plugs don't fix the issue next the car will get all new injectors. at this point the car has had a fair amount of new parts so this misfire code is a bit odd but after all its a vw/audi so game on :laugh:

new spark plugs

new Bosch coil packs

new Bosch throttle bodies

carbon cleaning of intake valves

clean and reseal intake manifold

reseal oil filter housing

new high pressure fuel pumps

SAI update

new Maf's

new CTS

new valve cover gaskets

new Front air struts

new suspension air pump

malone tuning software

muffler valve mod

i hope to get time to do a few more test drives but so far all is looking positive. there are plans to take the car out to the dry lake late March/ early April for some runs.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
time to open the top of the motor for the 2nd time since owning the car............. new injectors/seals and a few other odds and ends are inbound..... while the cars on the lift tranny service is going to happen. not real happy with the non-existing tranny dipstick or any real solid way to measure oil level aside from the "is it dripping out of the hole" method........ but so goes life. :beer:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
boy, where has the year gone?...... been collecting parts and finally the S8 got some attention over the week.....

new wheels
new coil packs
new tires
new injectors
new park plugs
new fuel filter
lots of new gaskets
developed a plug-n-play catch can (pvc dripping into manifold go by-by:beer:)
clean all hard fuel lines on motor
new air filters
new maf sensor
new green coolant temp sensor

once the car gets a bath i will have some photos.

·
Registered
743 Posts
boy, where has the year gone?...... been collecting parts and finally the S8 got some attention over the week.....

new wheels
new coil packs
new tires
new injectors
new park plugs
new fuel filter
lots of new gaskets
developed a plug-n-play catch can (pvc dripping into manifold go by-by:beer:)
clean all hard fuel lines on motor
new air filters
new maf sensor
new green coolant temp sensor

once the car gets a bath i will have some photos.
That’s a good list. Looking forward to the pics.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
also re-placed the plugs for both Throttle bodies and re-placed the plugs for #5 and #10 coil packs. had a few issues over the last year with getting the dreaded EPC light with associated loss of power. Looks like the throttle body plugs where the cause of the EPC light. What a pain to track down but super glad to not have the problem come back since replacing the plugs. best part about the Throttle body plugs, mk4 vw's use the same plug and can be bought much cheaper than D3 parts. think it cost all of 31 buks for 2 mk4 plugs with 6" pig tails installed vs. 50ish for just 1 D3 plug with no pig tail and the plug not assembled.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Aaaannndd???
the poor S8 has been in limp mode ( limp as in i cant drive it as i would prefer ... not motor issues) for a while due to waiting for 1 suspension part.......... got to love/hate the multi-link suspension. not worth getting into detail but i have had issues getting 1 specific part for almost 18 months........... not to get excited but i have a tracking # and box is inbound.....been through this before and if this box is a winner than wow! nothing like a trip to SEMA to be face to face with a supplier and ask them about 1 odd ball part for a 10+ yr old car they dont care about.

aside from parts supply issues the car is a well........... not for taking the kids to soccer! ............. yes i owe photos if only i had a way to take photos not from a potato. my webfoo is slipping......... but ideas are sparking so!............

on a side note the catchcat setup is working wonders. pulled the manifold for the previous oil change and everything is 100% clean on the top end. guess the time tig welding and planning and designing parts paid off...........

:beer:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Thanks for the timely reply! :laugh:

Good luck, fun car, like the new wheels, maybe I can drive it next time I'm in town, who knows when that'll be??:confused:

41 - 48 of 48 Posts