VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure some of you are familiar with the Allegheny area... We headed down there this Monday on our Thanksgiving, your Columbus Day, for some shots of the fall season and some fun hikes...

Kinzua Dam

The Kinzua Viaduct... Old train trestle that fell in 2003 from a Tornado, you can see the trees all around it have been destroyed as well...

You might be able to catch the end of the changing foliage this weekend, but I don't think it will be around for long. Great roads (If you can stay off the interstate!)

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Re: A scenic drive through PA/NY (p53)

nice pics man http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif , folks got a camp in Kane so I'm real familiar with the area

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Re: A scenic drive through PA/NY (p53)

Very nice. I don't think I've been to that area exactly because I don't recognize anything, but I will definitely have to check it out.
Keeping with the theme, this is from right near State College.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Re: A scenic drive through PA/NY (Mooz!)

man this makes me feel like i cant wait to go on a drive through the mountains and see the Autumn scenery. You got some good pics while you were out.

·
Banned
1,165 Posts
Re: (moose82)

Quote, originally posted by moose82 »
I was visiting my folks this past weekend in Pittsburgh. It was GORGEOUS!
Great photos

yeah it's wonderful here, so nice that the 50 foot linden in my front yard dumped about a metric ton of leaves yesterday

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (cyclegrip)

Quote, originally posted by cyclegrip »
I'm not too far from Kinzua, awesome place for walleye, you can basically throw a net down and catch them.

Unfortunately I don't have a PA fishing licence or else I would have loved to go, there looked like there was lots of great spots especially after the Dam.
The route we took was down 219 south into Custer City, headed west on the 770 and then west on the 59 into marshburg. From there we headed south on the 321 until it crosses the allegheny, where we quickly turned right (west) onto the longhouse scenic byway. We followed that north until we found a road which I think is called "forest road" but had a big sign that said "jakes rocks". We followed that and eventually made our way to the resevoir. I'll need to find the map again and write it out, its actually very simple... Once we got to Custer city and headed west on 770 towards the allegheny river, we pretty much just started taking random roads. The Longhouse scenic byway will bring you to some great roads, as well as the 321 north to 346. At the 346, head west towards the river again and follow that up through new york, along the river. The road here is amazing.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Re: A scenic drive through PA/NY (SoLo2pointO)

Beautiful http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I recognized the area immediately- I used to camp near Kane PA when I was younger.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.