VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Re: A shifting question (Joe'sGTI337)

Yep me too. My first stick though. I've been told the 2-3 shift is one of the hardest. I tend to grind her a little almost anytime I shift to 3rd when I get on it, but it still goes in. Think I need a little more practice and drepress the clutch farther.

·
Registered
102 Posts

I don't know if you read my post from Friday, I had a Dieselgeek's short shifter installed last week and it made a huge difference all the way around. Not only are the shifts smoother but it feels much better.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I dont wanna sound like an idiot...and yes I have owned other dubs before....
but I have never owned or driven on a regular basis a car with forced induction, is downshifting a bad idea on the 1.8t engines??? I used to downshift 3rd to 2nd when I autoX my jetta ...but I am a lil worried about doing it on my new baby when it gets broken in.
G~

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

I have noticed the second to third shift can be tough under heavy accelleration. I have begun practicing double-clutching in that gear, and that will help. Slower than a normal shift, but faster (and better for the engine) than a grind.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: A shifting question (swartzentruber)

Well like i said I have had some problems I am not a pro drag racer or anything like that but my shifts are not by any means terrible i don't grind the gears but it seems that sometimes when i shift its like it is hitting a wall trying to go into 3rd im like what the hell is going on. But i will def look into a short shifter if it really helps cause its frustrating to not get that gear and im not even on it really.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts