VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

A solution for the turn signal bulb out light fix for MK7 GTI look headlights

24K views 57 replies 19 participants last post by  Righteousness 
#1 · (Edited)
Disclaimer: Like always, Perform any modifications at your own risk. I assume no responsibility for failed attempts, damage, or any harm that can come from this. If you don't know what your doing, seek professional help. This is consider informational purposes only. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hey guys, I got around to fixing the issue with the turn signal in the MK7 GTI look-a-like headlights that causes a bulb out light on your cluster when you go to use the signals. It also makes your signals hyperflash and that gets super annoying quick!

Started to do some work:

This is what I used, it's a standard resister. It has 2 wires coming out of each side of it:

This is the drivers side. I tap connected/spliced in the power wire from the resister into the first wire from the top right of the headlight wiring harness that was supplied from the headlight seller with the headlights automatically:

Then I grounded off the ground wire of the resister to this headlight plate screw:

This is the passenger side. I tap connected/spliced in the power wire from the resister into the first wire from the top right of the headlight wiring harness that was supplied from the headlight seller with the headlights automatically:

Then I grounded off the ground wire of the resister to this headlight plate screw:

No more bulb out light in the cluster, nor hyperflash turn signals.

See less See more
#17 ·
same question?

#9 · (Edited)
I don't know the specs on the resistor as I just got it from a retrofit headlight local guy.

The pics were taken from the top of the engine bay, so you tap into the top right wire on the drivers side headlight wiring harness and the top left wire on the passenger side headlight wiring harness .

I can read the wire spot numbers if it's a must.

#35 ·
So when all said and done.. When you go into the options menu to turn your running lights on and off.. Is the running light technically the yellow blinker running light in this picture?

Sorry for bumping this up.

About to order a set of these, and it looks like your picture has the inner "u" as an amber color.

In the ad, they are a white color. Which is it?

#29 ·
Not unless you are good enough with the actual code and could find a way to completely delete power to the bulb socket through software.

There arent any coding helpers that fix this issue. The issue is the entire assembly is short one bulb. No resistance = thought to be broken bulb. Broken bulb = hyperflash.

Resistors only.

Sent from my interuterine device.

#30 · (Edited)
UPDATE: I just installed the car's headlight wiring harness directly to the headlight housing (got rid of the adaptor harnesses provided with the headlight). I then tap-connected/spliced in my resistors to the #9 (black & white coloured wire) wire on the stock headlight wiring harness and no more hyperblink for me!

#31 ·
Would you mind providing a pic of the setup and where you grounded? Would really appreciate it. Also, where did you get your headlights from? Everywhere seems to be out of stock of the U style for the MKVI Jetta

#36 ·
The amber color U is the turn signal.

Im not sure, but I think the newer helix reps have dual white U's and a turn led bulb. The older reps like I have, have the amber U for a turn signal, it does not light up like the picture above.

They also seem to have a reflector style high beam according to that picture.... Unless thats the turn signal? It does look amber... :confused:

#37 ·
Yeah, there are two different kinds/types of these headlights. One is a GTI version (the upper pic) and one is a Golf R version (the lower pic).

If I was you right now, I'd go for the Golf R version (the lower pic). It has two U's lit up in white in each headlight, a halogen turn signal bulb, and bi-xenon projectors for a high beam function.

Get them!

#39 ·
There is no bulb out error, only when I turn on my LED 'U' turn signal. If you get the Golf R style headlights, it's a standard filament bulb and you won't have the same bulb out/hyper flash issues as I have with the GTI style ones.

So get the Golf R style one's and you should be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.