VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Jetta 2.0 with a few mods: Bilstein Sport/H&R Sport and 18's. Car handles nicely but I'm wondering about a swaybar(s). In your opinion (or experience) what would be better to do?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Re: A useful poll? Swaybar opinions. (hugemikeyd)

for some reason, many ppl say they dont notice a marginal gain with the front as with the back. My friend has both on his GTi. B4 he got the front on, which by the way i dont recommend u even think about trying to do this, he had his rear S/b and it was a day and night diff. Then with the front on .. it was considerable.
All in all, its a waste of money.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: A useful poll? Swaybar opinions. (whizbang18T)

I autocross a bit, but not to the point where I'm doing it every week. I do it about once a month.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Re: A useful poll? Swaybar opinions. (vertigobora)

Unless you're doing some pretty heavy cornering in comps, I believe changing the bars is a waste unless you had to change front bar because you have large drop, then the rear MUST be matched. I changed to the H&R/Bilstein spts (mine came with the factory opt spt susp pkg) and several months ago got into a "fun chase" with a new 911 on a moderately winding 2-lane road of speeds 100-130mph and was hugely impressed by how well the car could stay within the same lane, over concrete dividers without ever skipping around...but please, I don't equate VW's susp to that of a Porsche's. Stayed level & planted beyond anything I ever imagined for a fwd car. You can do fairly hard 90-degree turns without a squawk from car or tires, and has been very well balanced. I do believe the tire/wheel combo is every bit as important as the suspension. Just my $.02

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: A useful poll? Swaybar opinions. (Sheep)

I don't have a big drop, it's only about 1.5 in the front and nearly the same in the rear.
Some of the autocrosses (non-scca) that I've attended have had a few 180 turns in them. I didn't have much of a problem negotiating them, but the car did understeer off of my first attempt at a good apex. My second time around I choose to do a late apex with better results, but the car still understeered a bit.
With the new suspension and the 18's the car is very well controlled, but it doens't feel neutral. However, it's a drastic improvement over the stock non-sport suspension. I'm not trying to wrestle with the big boys here (Porsche, Ferrari, Viper, Corvette) I'm simply trying to get a well balanced car.
The car feels like it wants to corner faster, the tires don't squeal, and the suspension is a great match for the chassis. However, a little more oversteer to get the car more neutral in turns is my main objective. When I get the suspension done, I'll do brakes. After brakes..... a little more engine tuning.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

All VW's come with rear sways. Some of them are stiffer than others, but the nonsports have them too.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I have a 2001 Jetta WE. it came with a 18 mm torsional stiffening bar that is attached to the rear suspension arm. But the car has a lot of body roll and understeers quite a bit. I just installed the 28 mm Neuspeed rear bar this weekend, took about 35 min. I have the Eibach pro-kit springs that lowered the car 1.4 inches, and added a slight amount of understeer to the handling. With the rear bar in the softest setting, the car handles neutral to slight oversteer, has a bumper ride in the rear. But handles much flatter in the corners, and the rear really bites at the higher speeds. Great modification. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Re: A useful poll? Swaybar opinions. (vertigobora)

quote:[HR][/HR]All VW's come with rear sways. Some of them are stiffer than others, but the nonsports have them too.[HR][/HR]​
you mean All Vws come with FRONT sways

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.