VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
359 Posts
Hey, Mech, I'd also like to know where you got that alt from (Excessive Amperage?), since I want to go bigger than stock at some point.

Glad to see you're back in the trenches, BTW.

EDIT, nevermid, I just saw the Excessive AMperage sticker on the pic of the alt you took. Duh.:facepalm:

· Registered
359 Posts
Ahh, it's so nice to see someone doing an install that actually PLANS AHEAD as opposed to winging it, like many of the build threads on the Vortex seem to imply (I could be wrong, just an observation via the internet):D.

Yeah, making diagrams/CAD drawings can take longer, but it also causes less headaches or rebuilds.

Well done, sir.

· Registered
359 Posts
Welcome to the dark side of road noise reduction, my friend.:D

Build is looking great.

Pro tips to those that just came to this thread:

"Deadener" (like Dynamat) is for VIBRATION only, and won't work well (or at all) with stopping airborne noise. IT WILL help reduce rattles.

"Sound proofer", like the V-Comp composite, is for AIRBORNE noise (road/engine/tire noise, etc.). The open cell foam scatters sound waves due to it's porous surface, and the heavy vinyl does it's best to keep that scattered sound away from your ears.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record here, but it'll save you all money and heartache in the end.

By the way, use this adhesive if you want the VComp (or carpet, vinyl, etc.) to stay put forever.

· Registered
359 Posts
Yeah, that's true... but since I do it for my audio itch, I usually go off with deadener and cover the entire interior of the car, doubling up in some key areas.

I do this to lessen the localization of my speakers due to their vibration. It's partly habit from past competition installs, but also since I have 8" midbasses and two 15" subs, so vibration is something I'm familiar with.:D

I think in the case you guys are dealing with, which is a specific component making the noise, it should be doable, and produce good results.

I have to say that in my JSW, pretty much all of the road noise now comes from my windows, which I unfortunately can't do anything about.:(

· Registered
359 Posts
^^^Thanks for cluttering up my thread jerks! :p
Then quit posting such conversation-starting pics, man!:screwy:

Anyhoo, another cograts on the house; I moved into our place last April, it's a great mid-cen modern, but now all of my extra $$ is going to remodeling the joint.

It's a good thing, but still, sometimes... puts the "fun" stuff on hold.

Ahh, life in your early 40's. :laugh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.