VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 185 Posts

· Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
you are one serious dude:thumbup: im in:popcorn:
Glad i impressed you :thumbup:

Ahh, it's so nice to see someone doing an install that actually PLANS AHEAD as opposed to winging it, like many of the build threads on the Vortex seem to imply (I could be wrong, just an observation via the internet):D.

Yeah, making diagrams/CAD drawings can take longer, but it also causes less headaches or rebuilds.

Well done, sir.
I totally agree, planning is one of my favorite parts, the other favorite part is building it :p

Looking good! When can we expect SS hardlines?
Honestly i don't think i will ever do hardlines on this setup, just with the way it is designed flexible lines are much better because of the vibrations. The vibration frame will be moving slightly so hardlines to my completely stationary tank might not be the best idea, but you never know in the future :thumbup:

when he buys the stainless, i will lend him my bender
No deal, you will be enlisted to do the actual bending :p

· Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I gotta ask about the three comps though... I know why... but why?
Well here were the reasons behind getting another:
- Never heard of anybody with a VW having 3 OB2's so i wanted to be unique
- I had the extra room in my trunk if i redesigned my frame
- I had some extra amperage to play with seeing as i had an upgraded alternator already (150A at idle, so say 130 to play with so we don't run full tilt, ~20A for car functions at any one given time, that leaves 110A for compressors. 35A * 3 = 105A so it is just enough). I would need to upgrade my alternator even further to a 250A/190A idle to accomodate another compressor so it just isn't worth it.
- This way my fill time is virtually non-existent
- With this proven silencing method the compressors are silent while running so i can run as many as i want without negative side effects
- The faster the fill time the less it will start to kill my battery actually, this way my alternator can keep up to the filling and it won't start deep cycling my OEM battery, which it would if i was running it for 5 minutes or so
- Plus it fills up the trunk space nicely :D

· Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
LOL. I mean I would take three but I have a show car :p

Any in car audio? I'd love to hear how quiet these are, I think I may run isolators and move my comps into the interior.
You don't want to have three beautiful compressors showing in a show car?? :p

I am just putting a simple head unit in to wire up to the monsoon speakers and amp and put in a small 10" directed audio 300W rms sub and amp in a nice sealed box for a bit of crisp bass. Will run off the other fuse I have in the trunk distribution block. The amp fits in the electrical box section of the build

· Registered
6,463 Posts
You don't want to have three beautiful compressors showing in a show car?? :p

I am just putting a simple head unit in to wire up to the monsoon speakers and amp and put in a small 10" directed audio 300W rms sub and amp in a nice sealed box for a bit of crisp bass. Will run off the other fuse I have in the trunk distribution block. The amp fits in the electrical box section of the build
I think he was talking about audio clips of the comps running from inside the cabin :thumbup:

· Registered
9,922 Posts
LOVE LOVE the FUNK button idea, i need this in my life, I hate when the compressor kicks in while waiting for the glow to warm up and then turn off and on when firing the engine :banghead:

Let me know how it goes and I'll most likely do the same :thumbup::thumbup:

EDIT: that guy is asking for $45 shipped for the FUNK button :sly:

· Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I think he was talking about audio clips of the comps running from inside the cabin :thumbup:
Ah gotcha. I must have totally read it wrong.

Bingo. All the work on my car and ICE is all factory. Ended up growing out of that phase. I'd just love to hear in-car noise level.
I don't think that the compressors would be great for inside the cabin, they would be noisy for that. But with the vibration dampening and double layers of airborne sound absorber it is quiet in the cabin with the comps mounted in the spare wheel well.

LOVE LOVE the FUNK button idea, i need this in my life, I hate when the compressor kicks in while waiting for the glow to warm up and then turn off and on when firing the engine :banghead:

Let me know how it goes and I'll most likely do the same :thumbup::thumbup:

EDIT: that guy is asking for $45 shipped for the FUNK button :sly:
Yeah thats what i got from him too.....BUT screw it i am going to do it anyways :p
You can actually use any momentary push button with the wiring diagram that i gave you and just wire in an LED for an on or off indicator :thumbup::thumbup:

I was going to run the mini funk button with a relay. I am still trying to decide on the fine details of it though. I am gonna have to step my game up though after seeing how you throw down.
It's not a competition, it's always nice to have something unique though :thumbup:
Even if you do the same thing not very many people have done it at all so it will still be really unique especially at local shows :thumbup:

· Registered
551 Posts
I must admit when it comes to wiring/electronic' i just almost freeze up and don't even know where to start. Its kinda hard to explain the feeling but its so damn stupid! That funk button idea is great! Can't wait for some more progress:thumbup::thumbup::beer:

· Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I must admit when it comes to wiring/electronic' i just almost freeze up and don't even know where to start. Its kinda hard to explain the feeling but its so damn stupid! That funk button idea is great! Can't wait for some more progress:thumbup::thumbup::beer:
Well if you ever have any questions let me know and i would be more than willing to help ya out :)

Looking good :p
Thanks Will, hopefully i get more work on it done soon

In other news I got a 20% raise at work plus a big bonus so wheels got ordered :thumbup::thumbup:
Not getting the 9.5 Miro's like i originally anticipated, going for something a bit more classy and a bit less showy. And only a select few people know what wheels they are so no spreading the word around :p

· Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Instead of working on the airride this weekend i did a few "supporting mods" and got rid of the stock radio for a head unit from my old jetta, and old astro van, however it still works. Circa ~1998 :rolleyes:

Airride frame is going to get mounted this week, as well as a bit of wiring

· Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
best write up ever! i love to see planning with such organization:beer:, it definitely makes me feel inspired to get started on my build. and what do you plan on using to protect the airlines from the harsh canadian winters?
For winter protection i am going to run the airlines tucked underneath the car to the front right beside the other lines that run in between the frame rails, also run wire loom around the whole thing to add cushion and protection. Similar to what i did in the rears last time

21 - 40 of 185 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.