VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 185 Posts

· Registered
647 Posts
in for this as i am installing elevel in march.. i remember reading somewhere that you shouldnt use 2 x 4s or hevy duty stuff in a trnk install cus if you do get in an eaccident your whole trunk set up is getting pushed into your rear seat and used something elseo so it woud break easy but i cannot remember.. anyone hear of something liek this happening?

· Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
in for this as i am installing elevel in march.. i remember reading somewhere that you shouldnt use 2 x 4s or hevy duty stuff in a trnk install cus if you do get in an eaccident your whole trunk set up is getting pushed into your rear seat and used something elseo so it woud break easy but i cannot remember.. anyone hear of something liek this happening?
:rolleyes:

Honestly it's not going to happen. I have heard of this before but i think it is just garbage, the way the seats are designed they are almost bulletproof (i exaggerate of course). What if you just had a 50lb object sitting in the trunk rolling around loose? What would actually do damage, that or a wooden frame that is snugly fitted inside the trunk with an airtank tightly bolted to it :rolleyes:

Again i think that people just say stuff like this to stir up a ruckus, a 2x4 frame that is bolted or snugly fitted in your trunk is not going to do squat compared to a loose object rolling around.

But thanks for the bump!

· Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Lookin' pretty good so far. Hope this turns out to b what you really want. :thumbup:
Should be :laugh:

MINI UPDATE

Got my water traps on shut off valve. Shut off valve will be extremely handy because with the e-level setup if you relieve pressure from the air manifold the car lowers itself and airs out the bags too. This way i can empty my water traps and drain my 3 gallon tank without having to lose all of my air. This way it is also quicker to get back up to full pressure (not that it will take long anyways)

I am again running flex airlines directly off of the compressor. IMO the OB2 compressors don't get hot enough to do any damage to the airline, if it happens in the future i will worry about it at that point.

Everything is almost ready to install, just have to get quick disconnects for the wiring harnesses of the compressors so that they can be easily detached from the relays and its going in :thumbup::thumbup:

JIC-FNPT adapter, then MNPT-PTC adapter, all 1/2"

All 3 compressors tee together and lead into this one water trap on the side of the tank. 1/2"PTC-3/8"MNPT adapter

Outlet from 3 gallon tank to 5 gallon tank

· Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Crappy pic but got the frame in and it fits snug as a bug in a rug. Just perfect size for a trunk wheel well, i can see someone running just this under the floor setup and having room towards the back from the 3 gallon tank to do the manifold for a 2" raised floor setup :thumbup::thumbup:

· Registered
9,922 Posts
Again love the frame compressor mount, very well designed :thumbup:

great idea on the shut off valve, I've been thinking about doing it, I'll probably use a flow control for that since i will have some spare lying around, thanks again !

· Registered
1,388 Posts
just checked out your old build mainly just scrolling for pics haha looks good but new build looks better. sorry to hear about the old car but new ride must be nice. will be checking this for updates every now and again :thumbup:

· Registered
9,922 Posts
BTW i read somewhere that your compressor was super quiet, barely hear them at idle due to having sound barrier deadening material, could you show the coverage and how/where it's laying ?

· Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
BTW i read somewhere that your compressor was super quiet, barely hear them at idle due to having sound barrier deadening material, could you show the coverage and how/where it's laying ?
I can do you up a few sketches and take a few pics tomorrow. I am doing the vibration isolation material tomorrow (kinda like your second skin stuff) and then I am doing the b-quiet vcomp airborne sound absorbing material when the false floor gets constructed.

· Registered
9,922 Posts
I can do you up a few sketches and take a few pics tomorrow. I am doing the vibration isolation material tomorrow (kinda like your second skin stuff) and then I am doing the b-quiet vcomp airborne sound absorbing material when the false floor gets constructed.
I've always had higher expectation for vibration deadening material, always expected to hear the difference instantly but it has always been very subtle, I just got some sound barier from second skin (luxury liner, not PRO) and will encapsulate the compressor with it leaving just enough room to avoid overheating, hopefully this will make a night and day diff. Cant wait to see how you complete your setup :thumbup:

· Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Sorry for taking my sweet time getting back to you Matt, but here is my ultimate sound proofing plan. The b-quiet ultimate vibration absorbing on the bottom of the whole trunk with the following:

**Scale: NTS (AKA take your own measurements you lazy a$$) :p

· Registered
9,922 Posts
Sorry for taking my sweet time getting back to you Matt, but here is my ultimate sound proofing plan. The b-quiet ultimate vibration absorbing on the bottom of the whole trunk with the following:

**Scale: NTS (AKA take your own measurements you lazy a$$) :p
thx for sharing the plan, cant wiat to see this pictured and in video ? :D

41 - 60 of 185 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.