VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My father told me as I approached my 30th birthday that the key to life wasn't finding the perfect job/wife/life/etc, but learning to recognize when you need to compromise. I guess part of getting older is realizing that you won't always get what you want, but if you work hard you can probably get 75-80% of what you want. Something, something, Rolling Stones song. With this in mind I began my search for my next car a year ago. I wanted a manual rwd or awd wagon powered by a forced induction 6 or 8 cylinder within my ~$60K budget. AKA, the TCL pipe dream. I started my search and quickly realized that I had to include CUVs, much to my dismay. After a few months of searching, I made my first adult compromise, just a few months before my 30th birthday I bought a new Audi SQ5.

2015 in Moonlight Blue and Black/Chestnut, Premium Plus, black optics, 21"s, B&O sound, and Tech package. A living breathing oxymoron, it was a "performance suv."

In my year of ownership I tried to make the SUV less, well, SUV-like.

I replaced the stock 21x8.5 wheels running 255s, with 20x10 running 295s. I don't think I could fit more tire on the fronts. I also put in an 034 x-brace, 034 drivetrain stiffeners, 034 swaybar, and KW HAS, in an effort to make it handle better. I was pretty successful, I'm often surprised how planted it feels taking on/off ramps way too fast for a 4400lb SUV. I also did some other minor things 034 intake, ported the stock airbox for more whine, LED interior lights, e-code headlights, hardwired radar, and got a tint.

The plans for the future include a stage 2 tune (hopefully 034), AWE Exhaust, and probably true coilovers (KW V2/V3).

This is how she/he/it currently sits. (photos courtesy of 034 Motorsport)

Dat ass doe.

On to my review. The car is still very fun to drive. It is surprisingly quick and still puts a smile on my face every damn time I drive it. It also handles DD duties extremely well, while I don't feel super connected to the road, it is comfortable sitting in traffic and does well on long trips full of camping/hiking/other gear. I'm averaging around 15 mpg in daily driving, but IDGAF about gas milage. I don't buy cars for mileage, I buy them to have fun.

Overall, the car met my requirements, even though it isn't a wagon.

1. It's a quick, for being a 4400lb SUV - surprisingly so. I often catch people off guard by either catching up to them or leaving them behind.
  2. It blends in really well in the mudaine silcon valley. Discretion is nice.
  3. It has been cheap to own/maintain. My only large expenses have been mods. I haven't done a cost of ownership because I'm not Emmett
  4. It is comfortable for DD duties and I don't mind sitting in the terrible bay area traffic in it.
  5. I have room for the dog.

My only maintenance issue was a busted water pump the dealer found while in for service, it was fixed under warranty and wasn't really an issue for me. Other than that it has been extremely reliable and I'm optimistic on the stoutness of the drivetrain.

My dad was right, life is about compromises. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go the same route. It wasn't the perfect car in stock form, but making it closer to what I originally wanted has been a fun process. I've also learned a valuable life lesson, you have to make some concessions to be happy.

·
Registered
25,227 Posts
I have a moonlight blue Q5 3.0T and I went through the same buying decision as you (except when I did it, there was no SQ5).

Are you sure the tires doesn't rub? I mean that is a lot of rubber!

I thought about lowering my Q5 as well but I was afraid the ride quality will take a big hit, which will make the wife unhappy. How does your SQ5 ride compare to stock? Much stiffer or about the same?

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
nice update, but i cant think of anything that looks worse than a lowered suv/crossover. to each their own though, flame away.:beer:

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Nice car, but I don't get buying a taller riding CUV and then lowering it.

Either way, as long as it makes you happy that's all that matters. I love those seats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25,227 Posts
Nice car, but I don't get buying a taller riding CUV and then lowering it.
You are talking like there are plenty of 350hp wagons to choose from in the Land of the Free. OP even explained why he ended up in buying the SQ5. I know I wouldn't be driving a Q5 if S4 Avant or 335i wagon was available.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I think it looks gorgeous as it sits.

Also, not being Emmett is a good thing. A very, very good thing.

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's)
39,963 Posts
FV-QR

I wish I had the money for SQ5, I'd trade the STI for one in a heartbeat. Your looks fantastic. :thumbup:

As for talking about "compromise" with a sporty-as-f*** $60k SUV. Uhh, ok... :rolleyes::p

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have a moonlight blue Q5 3.0T and I went through the same buying decision as you (except when I did it, there was no SQ5).

Are you sure the tires doesn't rub? I mean that is a lot of rubber!

I thought about lowering my Q5 as well but I was afraid the ride quality will take a big hit, which will make the wife unhappy. How does your SQ5 ride compare to stock? Much stiffer or about the same?
No rubbing. I've got about 1cm clearance on the inside upper control arm/steering knuckle. It's close, but no rubbing. I've got the HAS fully down, which gives a little more bounce than I'd like. The ride isn't much stiffer, but things are nicely firmed up.

Why not a Golf R? Not enough space? Think it's everything you want otherwise. That's probably my next car.
Holy shizz. A member for 11 years and you come out of hibernation to comment on my thread? I feel honered. To answer you questions, I wanted more luxury, more space, and more than 4 cylinders. Plus when I was shopping the golf r wasn't as available as the audi. Same reason the Macan didn't end up in my garage, that and I wouldn't have been happy unless I had a fully loaded turbo model and I didn't want a $100k CUV

I wish I had the money for SQ5, I'd trade the STI for one in a heartbeat. Your looks fantastic. :thumbup:

As for talking about "compromise" with a sporty-as-f*** $60k SUV. Uhh, ok... :rolleyes::p
Cue my inner Veruca Salt "but I wanted a wagon!!!" Thanks for the kind words, I still get giddy when see it sitting in parking lots.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
I have such a soft spot for these. I prefer the stock look but I'm glad you've been enjoying the car. The SQ5 is an awesome way to get around. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Drove a '16 recently. Very well sorted vehicle that returns good mileage for the size and feels more like a sedan then an SUV. You've done a very nice job in "upgrading" it too...don't use the word "mod" as it cheapens your efforts :thumbup:

·
Registered
20,399 Posts
the sq5 is definitely something i wouldnt mind replacing my s4 with. I feel like audi just took the s4 and combined it with the q5 to make an all around solid vehicle. The room to haul stuff (which i greatly need lately) and the ability to have some fun driving when you want to.

Yours looks super nice though, i love the interior/exterior color combo. It sits nice over those wheels too

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have such a soft spot for these. I prefer the stock look but I'm glad you've been enjoying the car. The SQ5 is an awesome way to get around. :thumbup:
I'm a fan of how it sits now and how it looked stock. I do enjoy the 2" of additional rubber at all 4 corners and the 14lbs I saved on each wheel over the stock set up. I really did it for more function than form.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
The state of the Union today: Jacking station wagons up just to lower them back down again. :banghead: Where's our RS6? :mad:

1 - 20 of 98 Posts